BUILT
1400 Quadra Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1400-1412 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 14
1400-1412 Quadra Street is a 14-storey purpose-built rental complex on Quadra Street at Johnson Street in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1400 Quadra Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1400 Quadra Street | Rentals, retail | 14-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
584 replies to this topic

#541 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 July 2021 - 09:17 PM

There's a bit of a slope there. You have to step up to enter the Johnson side and step down to enter on the Quadra side. I'm sure a handrail will be installed on that step. I'm just surprised there isn't 50 skateboarders trying it out.

• zoomer likes this

#542 RustyNail

RustyNail
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 04:29 PM

This building looks like its mostly done now.

#543 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:26 PM

This building looks like its mostly done now.

I really like how this building turned out ... yet another project Ben voted against, but got built anyways and will now supply much needed housing. 

• Nparker likes this

#544 Sebbo

Sebbo
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 06:06 AM

My partner and I will be moving in October 1st. I can post some pics of the interior/unit if people would like?
  • DavidSchell, Victoria Watcher and corvus like this

#545 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 02:52 PM

Why doesn't the City try to underground the Hydro lines? It's a missed opportunity here, IMHO. The views of the churches and the rental building would've been improved without those overhanging lines.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#546 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:46 PM

My partner and I will be moving in October 1st. I can post some pics of the interior/unit if people would like?

Totally! That would be much appreciated, Sebbo, and welcome to VV.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#547 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 05:49 PM

people would like.

#548 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:27 PM

Why doesn't the City try to underground the Hydro lines? It's a missed opportunity here, IMHO. The views of the churches and the rental building would've been improved without those overhanging lines.

I wanted to know the history of the overhead lines saga so I posted a ton of old news items a while back. Long story short: in the 1950s it was an expensive but feasible proposition, whereas now it's an expensive but infeasible proposition.

• Nparker and Vin like this

#549 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 September 2021 - 07:38 PM

It’s expensive for the developer and or BC Hydro
  • Vin likes this

#550 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:49 AM

I wanted to know the history of the overhead lines saga so I posted a ton of old news items a while back. Long story short: in the 1950s it was an expensive but feasible proposition, whereas now it's an expensive but infeasible proposition.

I suppose they will stay around in perpetuity then? 

Not sure how much it would cost to underground it, but I thought it would be do-able block-by-block as per new development. If it needs to be extended to the next block, latecomer fees can take care of that. Much of old town has already been undergrounded and the area looks spectacular! Now I wonder how they could secure the finances to do that in the first place. 

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 11:52 AM

You know, I don't think I ever consciously realized there were no overhead lines in Old Town!!

• Vin likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#552 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:16 PM

Check it out here...

And check it out here...

Daily Colonist
May 7, 1960

Underground Wiring

Street Ripping Will Be Over In a Few Days

Last of the major excavation of Victoria's downtown streets for underground wiring, started in 1956, will be over in a few days.

In about a month, the B.C. Electric will let a contract for the installing of wires in some of the 128 miles of four-inch ducts buried in a 30-block downtown area, and of transformers in 38 underground vaults.

This work will continue until next April, and then the final phase of the conversion to underground wiring, the removal of poles, will begin. By the middle of 1962, the last of the downtown power poles is scheduled to be taken down.

...next fall an underground supply line duct will be started from the Horsey substation on Summit to the downtown system.

Ducts for street-lighting wiring also have yet to be completed... but these ducts require only narrow channels cut in the sidewalks.

Daily Colonist
August 12, 1952 (!)

...Victoria certainly paved the way for some improvement along this line when it lifted its car tracks and did away with the cumbersome street-centre trolley wire cables.

To stop there and leave this grim forest of light and telephone poles, with their overhead squirrel cages of interlaced wires everywhere, is to fail in a worth while vision. It would be manifestly unfair and impracticable to expect public utilities to bury their distributing systems unaided. Provincial and municipal help would be required; the former possibly by way of a capital-city grant, and the city directly in its own interest.

If the costs could be split three ways, and the term over which replacement work was to be done extended over a reasonably long period, (aastra asks: would ~70 years be enough time? Not even close to enough, because we're still talking about this issue in 2020 as if it were some new thing.) much that appeared impossible initially might upon full and proper investigation be found well within the competence of this community. Planning for the future is the logical function of a town planning commission. (aastra says: Planning, yes. Action, no.)

Once more we invite attention to this existing opportunity. Victoria, with its miles of grass and clay boulevards, should be a much easier city to convert to buried conduits than others of similar size in Canada. In the long run the cost, great as it might be, would be more than fully returned.

---

Daily Colonist
April 4, 1952

Underground Electric Wiring

Those of the laissez faire school who contend that the burying of electric cables is impractical in Victoria at present should note what is being accomplished in other Canadian cities. Montreal's long-range policy of getting rid of overhead reticulation progressively has been mentioned previously. Now comes word that Ottawa, too, is making a definite advance in the same direction...

This is the sort of beginning that Victoria and the surrounding municipalities should be making. Fences of unpainted poles and festoons of wires are hideous to look at, dangerous in storms and a hazard at all times to firemen. The desirability of getting rid of them seems to be recognized, but in a despairing sort of way, with nobody in authority displaying any inclination to make a start...

The Willows subdivision is a striking case in point. Here was an untouched area without a road, house or pole on it. There were no gardens, sidewalks or pavement to be spoiled and the ground had yet to be excavated for sewer and water pipes. It was a perfect opportunity for the municipality to lead the way by requiring that the electrical wiring be laid underground as other services were being put there. Yet before the first house began to take shape, up went the usual forest of unpainted poles with their fungus of transformers and spider-webs of wires. Only when it was too late to do anything to save its last remaining big subdivision from this sort of disfigurement did the Oak Bay council begin to talk vaguely about requiring new wiring to be buried in the future.

The longer Victoria's municipalities put off the framing of some kind of policy in this matter, the larger must be the ultimate cost.

#553 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 12:19 PM

^For some reason those links to old Daily Colonist articles no longer jump to precisely the right page. But if you scroll up or down a bit you'll find the articles that I was linking to.

#554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 01:33 PM

I asked Mrs. Mike K today if she realized there were no power lines in Old Town. Mind blown.

Know it all.

#555 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:43 PM

You know, I don't think I ever consciously realized there were no overhead lines in Old Town!!

No worries. It's only been a year and eight months since I posted that link about it.

It's not like we expect you to read everything on this board. Heck, it's not like we expect you to read anything on this board.

#556 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 03:44 PM

I think most of us are impressed if you even bother to show up at all.

• lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#557 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 07 September 2021 - 05:26 PM

See, my plan was to respond to this in like nine months.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#558 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:22 PM

I asked Mrs. Mike K today if she realized there were no power lines in Old Town. Mind blown.

When there is a will, there is always a way. 

#559 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 11:54 AM

Pic by thegreatscaper or possibly somebody else on flickr.com.

I nominate this building for VV's prestigious "That turned out way better than I thought it would" award. The early images were not flattering, and the design change was such a severe departure from the original concept it almost seemed like they were just struggling to do anything that would get approval. But it turned out well and it's actually quite original. I'm starting to think the premise that every new residential building in Victoria looks exactly the same might be a bit of a misrepresentation. A tad exaggerated.

Edited by aastra, 18 September 2021 - 11:55 AM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#560 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 18 September 2021 - 12:59 PM

Sigh.. yes the great Scaper has taken many fine photos of that building, but alas 'tis mine. And for the record, right from the onset I loved this building, check the tapes! Um, thread.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users