Photo

Addiction and mental illness in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
751 replies to this topic

#741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 04:47 AM

take a look at that last sentence there. there are still people unable to stop using drugs.

it should read there is an INCREASING number of people unable to stop using drugs. because we’ve enabled it and made it more attractive and have done nothing to try to decrease use.

#742 RFS

RFS
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:19 AM

https://www.timescol...ning-1.24005961

Sad case of 26 year old electrician who overdosed from fentanyl laced heroin smoked on his lunch break at a construction site in Vancouver.

I agree with the parents about it being poisoning. Such deaths should be treated as intentional poisoning and the dealers who sell it prosecuted with murder.

#743 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:25 AM

except that most if not all users know that they are either taking fentanyl or at the very least there is a high probably fentanyl is in there (80%).

The Hedican family paid $13,000 a month for two months for Ryan at the private Edgewood Inpatient Mental Health and Addiction Treatment Centre in Nanaimo, and then $8,000 a month for eight months at Last Door, in New Westminster.

Ryan felt such shame about the costs incurred by his parents that he asked to be removed from their will, which still breaks his father’s heart.

After completing the program at the Last Door, Ryan “had so many plans of how he was going to live going forward in his recovery,” said Hedican.

He returned to work on a construction site in Vancouver, but relapsed within weeks. (Of the illicit-drug toxicity deaths from 2011-2016, about 20 per cent of those who died had recently worked in construction, according to Statistics Canada.)

you don't think he at least learned that in his 10 months of intense rehab?  it's tragic but some people are just destined to die.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 09:26 AM.

#744 RFS

RFS
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:28 AM

You have to hold someone responsible and it can’t be the deceased. I think if selling fentanyl laced drugs carried a potential murder charge that might be a helpful deterrent

#745 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:30 AM

You have to hold someone responsible and it can’t be the deceased. I think if selling fentanyl laced drugs carried a potential murder charge that might be a helpful deterrent

i think that burden of proof (who supplied the exact drugs responsible for the death) would be almost impossible to ascertain.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#746 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 314 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

Isn't it all poison? It doesn't matter if it is heroin or fentanyl. The point is that it is all poison and they take it willingly despite knowing the risks. Why would any sane person even try it in the first place?

• Nparker likes this

#747 RFS

RFS
  • 3,647 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:32 AM

i think that burden of proof (who supplied the exact drugs responsible for the death) would be almost impossible to ascertain.

Isn't it all poison? It doesn't matter if it is heroin or fentanyl. The point is that it is all poison and they take it willingly despite knowing the risks. Why would any sane person even try it in the first place?

Both good points. Let’s make any selling of any kind of heroin or fentanyl an automatic attempted murder charge

#748 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:37 AM

heroin is not fatal.  not dangerous or even harmful long-term when used in appropriate doses though.   so you can't label selling it as attempted murder.  any more than you can alcohol sales.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2019 - 09:37 AM.

#749 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 04:22 PM

'Meth. We're on it' – South Dakota's new public health ads raise eyebrows

State launches series of ads to help tackle methamphetamine addiction – but tagline causes amusement on social media

https://www.theguard...iction-campaign

1113.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=forma

#750 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,425 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:17 PM

That campaign is no accident.  I know people would love to imagine that "they didn't think this through", but it's honest and the dual messaging is highly effective to catch attention.

However, it might be too clever and overestimate the cognitive finesse of their target (South Dakotans).  That it might be too much for general internet denizens is irrelevant.

#751 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:32 PM

it's no accident for sure.  but you are right it might be too clever for itself.  and political correctness if that's a thing in south dakota will get it pulled.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 November 2019 - 05:33 PM.

#752 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,935 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 04:32 PM

jon williams is a good guy.  did not know this back story about his youth.

Shortly after he was hired by The Zone @ 91-3, radio personality Jon Williams went looking for a sign-off to close out his on-air shifts.

Flippant or ironic wouldn’t do. Williams, 32, wanted his sign-off to mean something, if only to himself. “No one knew of the mental-health struggles I’d had growing up, so I selfishly thought of something that would remind me of a few steps to look after myself,” he said.

https://www.timescol...outh-1.24020323

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users