The Yates on Yates
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 848-852 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 20
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 2BR + den)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Yates on Yates is one of two 20-storey residential towers on a property spanning the 700-blocks of Yates a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Yates on Yates on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] The Yates on Yates | Condos; commercial | 20-storeys | Built - completed in 2020

• Please log in to reply
991 replies to this topic

#221 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

...I don't think Chard is in the business of operating rental housing...the decision to build condos in 800 block of Johnson could simply be related to the lack of a suitable partner to operate the rental housing.

If I am not mistaken, is Chard not looking to partner with BC Housing to facilitate the creation of the 'affordable' Johnson Street units?

...the other, fronting on Johnson Street, will have “affordable” units...Chard is negotiating with B.C. Housing to help finance the affordable units. http://www.timescolo...-way-1.19712760

#222 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:24 AM

The number if rental property management companies and he couldn't find someone to manage a building?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#223 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:45 AM

Yello was sold, it does not need management on behalf of Chard, and presumably that's what would have happened with 849 Johnson. Yello was likely a one-off given the point in time that it started construction and given that a buyer has already assumed the completed building.

I do think we've flogged this horse for long enough.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#224 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

I do think we've flogged this horse for long enough.

I agree.  Let's stick to what we are good at here.  Solid, sourced, wild speculation.    :wave:   We still have a crime to solve in Oak Bay, folks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#225 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

It's worth noting that some of the most affordable market rentals in Vancouver's West End were amongst that city's most expensive rental units at the time they were built.

As I like to say, it's impossible to build a brand new crappy old rental building.

• Nparker likes this

#226 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

As I like to say, it's impossible to build a brand new crappy old rental building.

Don't be so sure... 

Two of my personal favourites in Cook Street Village on Pendergast and Vancouver.

Attached Images

• 1032Pendergast_2.JPG
  • 1032Pendergast.JPG

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#227 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

Sorry there is no risk to a rental building when the rental vacancy rate is as low as it is. A purpose built rental will be filled just as quickly as a purpose built condo. To say there is risk to building rentals right now is, well... foolish.

No risk right now, but this wouldn't be ready for rent for approx. 3 years from today.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

No risk right now, but this wouldn't be ready for rent for approx. 3 years from today.

So does that mean we won't see anymore purpose-built rentals being proposed anymore?

#229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

Depends. There's this one planned for Johnson at Quadra, and there will be others, but the rush is over for now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#230 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

Two of my personal favourites in Cook Street Village on Pendergast and Vancouver.

Those weren't crappy old buildings when they were new. The faux-mediterranean touches were slick.

• Rob Randall likes this

#231 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,712 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

Depends. There's this one planned for Johnson at Quadra, and there will be others, but the rush is over for now.

So I suppose that means Council will now feel obliged to drag their heels on the approval of all non-rental proposals.

#232 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

We are excited to introduce Chard Development's The Yates on Yates in Downtown Victoria.

The Yates on Yates is your opportunity to own in the soul of Downtown Victoria. Located on Yates between Blanshard and Quadra, on one of Victoria’s most vibrant urban streets, The Yates puts you right in the middle of it all.

With over a decade of development experience in Victoria, Chard Development is offering a mix of modern studio, one, and two bedroom homes all built to their impeccable standards. And at 21 storeys high, Chard Development's signature rooftop terrace will rise above it all, providing unparalleled views to everyone who calls The Yates on Yates home.

One Bedrooms starting at $319,900
Two Bedrooms starting at $525,900

#233 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

I wonder if $319,900 will include parking or not.

#234 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:33 PM

$200K for a second bedroom?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#235 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

^^ Maybe all the 2 bedroom units also have 2 baths and parking?

#236 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

Those weren't crappy old buildings when they were new. The faux-mediterranean touches were slick.

My dad lived in a cute little wooden house on Pendergast where one of those blocks is. That was around 1925. I remember going to look at it when I was a kid. We were sad when it went.

#237 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

If only I hadn't spent $100,000 on avocado toasts, I could have afforded a one-bedroom! 

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Greg and 5 others like this

#238 ovovov

ovovov
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

319900+gst would make investment bad,,

We are excited to introduce Chard Development's The Yates on Yates in Downtown Victoria.

The Yates on Yates is your opportunity to own in the soul of Downtown Victoria. Located on Yates between Blanshard and Quadra, on one of Victoria’s most vibrant urban streets, The Yates puts you right in the middle of it all.

With over a decade of development experience in Victoria, Chard Development is offering a mix of modern studio, one, and two bedroom homes all built to their impeccable standards. And at 21 storeys high, Chard Development's signature rooftop terrace will rise above it all, providing unparalleled views to everyone who calls The Yates on Yates home.

#239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,509 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

The rents being charged in new-build apartment towers equate to valuations of $750 a square foot. If a condo can be purchased for $600 a square foot, how is that a bad investment? As long as your costs are covered, you're good to go. It's when folks purchase $600k condos but can only rent them for rates folks who bought $450k condos are charging that there is a problem.

Know it all.

#240 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:58 AM

Yeah, I don't think 350k for a 550 sq ft in a concrete building is too bad, if you can rent it for 1500/mo. Marko's question about parking would be what makes this an attractive one or not.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users