Ironworks
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 515 Chatham Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Ironworks is a mixed-use two-building, five-storey condominium and ground floor commercial development in down... (view full profile)
Learn more about Ironworks on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The IronWorks | Condos; retail | 5 & 5-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
641 replies to this topic

#581 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:16 PM

Now you can have them in your driveway:

https://www.ironageg...-grates-dynamo/

#582 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:19 PM

All power to you. But here's the message that I'm trying to transmit: the IronWorks works.

#583 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

...the IronWorks works.

But you're saying it won't work if the aesthetic is overworked in the reworking of the adjacent properties.

I trust these issues will be ironed out before further development takes place.

#584 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 01:59 PM

Any lurkers who have anxiety issues may want to up their magnesium intake before reading through this thread.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#585 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:08 PM

Won't find many copper pipes and it may of cost the residents a nickel or two, but Iron Works received it's building occupancy permit according to VicMap.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#586 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,290 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:14 PM

Won't find many copper pipes and it may of cost the residents a nickel or two, but Iron Works received it's building occupancy permit according to VicMap.

that'll take the weight off some buyers.  comparing today's condo prices with the pre-sale prices here - did anyone get a steel? 

now.  how many more times can a developer pull off this type of a building before buyers get metal fatigue?  sure they were attracted to this one like a magnet.  but will that last?  or lose its luster?  or "rust", to coin a phrase.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 June 2020 - 03:22 PM.

#587 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

...did anyone get a steel?

Come on, spellcheck.

I predict this project will lead by example and galvanize interest for new developments in the vicinity. They really stepped up to the plate. You could put a Ferrous Wheel across the street and it wouldn't draw as many people as the IronWorks.

#588 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

Then again, the critics will say it corrodes the old town atmosphere. Don't be surprised if they start chaining themselves to parking lots to prevent new development.

#589 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

....the critics will say it corrodes the old town atmosphere

I can hear their complaints already: "The architecture is crude! The rust cladding is lipstick on a pig!"

They like to get all wrought up.

• Victoria Watcher and johnk2 like this

#590 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

Anyway, the developers will solder on. They've drawn a bead on the neighbourhood.

#591 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:15 PM

So much irony in this thread, it's grating on me.

#592 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:52 AM

I don't get it.

#593 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:03 AM

Well, it was riveting while it lasted, but you foiled it.

• aastra and Victoria Watcher like this

#594 Promontory Kingpin

Promontory Kingpin
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:26 PM

This is going to be absolutely devastating for the individual values of each strata unit in this development. If you want to buy into a new place downtown and don’t mind living down the road of the zoo (free entertainment I guess...) then wait until completion of these buildings and watch owners jump ship and offer major discounts. It’s too bad that the CoV keeps permanently destroying neighbourhoods like this :(

https://www.timescol...-inn-1.24163559

#595 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:51 PM

This is going to be absolutely devastating for the individual values of each strata unit in this development. If you want to buy into a new place downtown and don’t mind living down the road of the zoo (free entertainment I guess...) then wait until completion of these buildings and watch owners jump ship and offer major discounts. It’s too bad that the CoV keeps permanently destroying neighbourhoods like this :(

https://www.timescol...-inn-1.24163559

Really a heartless comment. Would you prefer the homeless stay out in tents? This is peak NIMBY if I've ever seen it.

#596 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:38 AM

Luckily, BC Housing was just recognized with a CIP-ICU Award for Planning Excellence for their work with Dillon Consulting in developing the "Community Acceptance of Non-Market Housing Toolkit." Sounds like they're going to need it here!

This updated toolkit will help non-profit housing providers, planners, and other stakeholders respond to community resistance to ensure safe, secure and affordable housing is developed for those most in need. via http://www.cip-icu.c...ence-Recipients

#597 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

If legitimate public consultation and community input took place rather than BC Housing's apparent policy of "seek forgiveness rather than permission", then these sort of toolkits might not be necessary.

#598 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:44 AM

In the case of Paul's, the owner of Cafe Fantastico says he went to meet with the Laurel Point Inn folks to discuss the way forward, and they told him the complex had sold and to talk to BC Housing.

$150,000 invested into the upgrades and overnight it's all gone with zero recourse, at least not yet.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#599 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:50 AM

What does cafe fantastico have to do with this?

Matt.

#600 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,290 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 10:53 AM

it’s ruby and jones.

and I think the article says they got the $150k back.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users