[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#3941 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

At 10:40am, the BC Ferries website indicated the 11am was full, and the 12pm was at 30% and the 1pm was at 20%.  So i raced to the ferry to find the 12pm full, and the 1pm full.  Clearly the website today was not operating properly.

The "fullness level" did tend to have big swings today.  I noticed that after I posted a report and Mike K. very soon after gave new totals.  But that may also have been a result of bulk reservations or capacity previously measured on a sailing that then became cancelled, being moved from to another, I suppose.   It must be quite chaotic for the terminal operations.

Golly, it must surely help that most of us have mobile phones now to forward new plans and times to those on the other side expecting travellers.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 January 2018 - 02:09 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3942 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:31 PM

There is no plan to fine or penalize those caught smoking.

"It will be an educational process," said Marshall. "Our staff will inform somebody smoking that we do offer a smoke-free environment and we would ask that our customers respect that."

BC Ferries will also have smoking-cessation aids available for purchase on board.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...onday-1.4497549

#3943 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

They just need to institute a "walk the plank" initiative for rule-breakers.  :P

• Nparker, 57WestHills and Star Dust like this

#3944 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:20 PM

Today, BC Ferries went 100% smoke free.

This includes all tobacco products (excluding chewing tobacco of course) and includes e-cigarettes.

You can't smoke or use e-cigarettes on any of the vessels in any area, nor can you smoke anywhere on BC Ferries Property.

What do you think about this significant change made by BC Ferries?

Being an ex-smoker myself, and someone who has been smoke free for 16 years I personally support any regulations that keep tobacco products out of the air that I breathe.

Attached Images

• no-smoking-e-cigarettes-sign-s-5287.png

Edited by Star Dust, 22 January 2018 - 12:24 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#3945 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:26 PM

Bc ferries: absolutely no fun ever

#3946 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

Bc ferries: absolutely no fun ever

What part of second hand smoke is fun?

#3947 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

What part of second hand smoke is fun?

Can't you get some of the same enjoyment as "first-hand" smoke, that's smokers enjoy?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3948 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

When I used to smoke, I never would have described it as being "fun".

• Star Dust likes this

#3949 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

When I used to smoke, I never would have described it as being "fun".

Why do so many do it then?  They must enjoy something.

#3950 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

When I was a smoker I certainly enjoyed the HIGH I got off of the chemicals in the tobacco,  but I didn't enjoy the pain I got in my arms and legs, and being short breathed all the time, and having bronchitis 4 months out of the year.

The pain in my arms and legs was the main reason I quit. That and the visualization of me getting some sort of cancer in my mouth. Just the thought of my tongue rotting out or my cheeks having to be cut out made me cringe.

I was a 2- pack a day smoker by age 15.  When I quit I was down to about 2 cigarettes a day.

Now of course not everyone who smokes gets those kinds of symptoms as they have apparently discovered a not so common GENE in some smokers that prevents them from experiencing many of the negative side effects from it. But the majority of smokers will experience various levels of negative side effects from smoking up to and including lung cancer, tongue and or cheek cancer, throat cancer, heart disease, stroke, etc. 

I know from my early on symptoms that if I had continued, I likely would not be here today.

Edited by Star Dust, 22 January 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#3951 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:45 PM

Just a heads-up that we'll be merging this thread into the existing BC Ferries thread here. We'll do this in a little bit once most see this message.

• Star Dust likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3952 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

Im not saying smoking is necessarily tons of fun just that its another example of bc ferries being such a boring, nanny of a ferry ride. Should be gambling, games, water slides, bars, cool restaraunts, and sure smoking. Make them like little floating Vegas resorts
  • VicHockeyFan and tjv like this

#3953 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:25 PM

Im not saying smoking is necessarily tons of fun just that its another example of bc ferries being such a boring, nanny of a ferry ride. Should be gambling, games, water slides, bars, cool restaraunts, and sure smoking. Make them like little floating Vegas resorts

Yup.

• Matt R. likes this

#3954 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

Call me old fashioned, but I find the Beautiful Scenery going across entertaining enough for me.

I never get tired of it.

Sometimes on a nice day I just take the ferry for the purpose of riding the ferry.  I get off on the mainland and get right back on.

I'm one of those guys you will see outside on the decks almost the entire crossing.

I love the Ocean, I love the sea, I love the marine life and I love looking at the little islands as the ferry passes them.

I don't buy food or drink on the ferry, so all spend is the passenger cost there and back.

#3955 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:52 PM

It seems to be the 420 folk who are making the biggest stink about not being able to toke... i mean smoke.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3956 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:05 PM

You can't manage 95 minutes without a cigarette, I don't like getting a face full of it when I walk around the boat.

I guess we both have unreasonable expectations.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3957 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

I will bet there will still be lots of "medicine" smoked on board and they will refuse to butt out.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3958 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:20 PM

I will bet there will still be lots of "medicine" smoked on board and they will refuse to butt out.

Let's see the prescription that shows how much and when you need to take it.  Oh, wait... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3959 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

You can't manage 95 minutes without a cigarette, I don't like getting a face full of it when I walk around the boat.

I guess we both have unreasonable expectations.

Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen, sure, but how about on one of their overnight sailings? I don't smoke, never have, but I don't see an issue with having a designated smoking area on the boats for those that do.

#3960 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Where's my dedicated drinking area then?

• VicHockeyFan and RFS like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users