Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6323 replies to this topic

#3961 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:54 PM

Where's my dedicated drinking area then?

Absolutely. We should have it all. Hire MGM resorts to make the ferrys fun

#3962 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:41 PM

You can't manage 95 minutes without a cigarette, I don't like getting a face full of it when I walk around the boat.

I guess we both have unreasonable expectations.

A few weeks ago I was on the Ferry out on the top deck and these two Middle Eastern guys were smoking inside the covered viewing area at the front of the ship. Their were no smoking signs everywhere, and everyone was giving them dirty looks. So I walked over to them and quite sternly told them "Hey, the smoking section is in the middle of the deck, nobody here wants to breath that garbage in"  They were stunned, but off they went  to the smoking section. Sometimes you just gotta speak up, but I see a lot of people are afraid to say anything to smokers when they are smoking in a smoke free environment.

#3963 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

It seems to be the 420 folk who are making the biggest stink about not being able to toke... i mean smoke.

I have never understood the marijuana laws.  So people can legally smoke/toke anywhere in public, but then I can't decide to walk around shopping with a Jack and Coke?

#3964 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

I have never understood the marijuana laws.  So people can legally smoke/toke anywhere in public, but then I can't decide to walk around shopping with a Jack and Coke?

You can if you show a prescription for that jack and coke. Pot isn't legally smoke-able anywhere right now without that prescription (never-mind that that isn't enforced). After it becomes legal for recreational use, it will still be restricted in areas like public buildings for that purpose.

Medical purposes is something that needs to be sorted out. Hopefully Trudeau and/or the provinces are smart enough to deal with it ahead of time and not wait for the Supreme court.

#3965 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:02 AM

You can if you show a prescription for that jack and coke. Pot isn't legally smoke-able anywhere right now without that prescription (never-mind that that isn't enforced). After it becomes legal for recreational use, it will still be restricted in areas like public buildings for that purpose.

Medical purposes is something that needs to be sorted out. Hopefully Trudeau and/or the provinces are smart enough to deal with it ahead of time and not wait for the Supreme court.

I don't think it will be that simple. $300 gets anyone a prescription so I can people just using that as an excuse for smoking at work or in restaurants if you are right in your assessment. 

#3966 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,018 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

A few weeks ago I was on the Ferry out on the top deck and these two Middle Eastern guys were smoking inside the covered viewing area at the front of the ship. Their were no smoking signs everywhere, and everyone was giving them dirty looks. So I walked over to them and quite sternly told them "Hey, the smoking section is in the middle of the deck, nobody here wants to breath that garbage in"  They were stunned, but off they went  to the smoking section. Sometimes you just gotta speak up, but I see a lot of people are afraid to say anything to smokers when they are smoking in a smoke free environment.

I bet that every one of those people complained on social media though :-)

#3967 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:10 AM

Who wants to upset Middle Eastern men though?
  • Matt R. and todd like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3968 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:17 AM

I bet that every one of those people complained on social media though :-)

Beats me............I don't use Face Book, Twitter, Skype, Or any of that stuff.

#3969 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

^ You don't have time - you've been on here 24/7 since you signed up! :)

Edited by North Shore, 23 January 2018 - 09:50 AM.

• Matt R., Bingo, lanforod and 2 others like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3970 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

I don't think it will be that simple. $300 gets anyone a prescription so I can people just using that as an excuse for smoking at work or in restaurants if you are right in your assessment. 

I think most people aren't a holes enough to toke up in a blatantly public indoor location, even with a prescription.

#3971 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:43 AM

Anyone who smokes up is an ass, period.  Go and buy some edibles, ffs!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#3972 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

They aren't entirely smoke free as they still blow smoke out of their stacks, much like some of the folks around here.

#3973 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

map-royal-bay-ferry.jpg

The idea of a passenger ferry between Colwood’s Royal Bay and Victoria is surfacing again, this time with B.C. Ferries considering the idea.

This concept is in a very early stage and no study has been planned or carried out, Deborah Marshall, spokeswoman for B.C. Ferries, said Friday.

Running a passenger ferry between Colwood and Victoria Harbour or Ogden Point has been talked about in Greater Victoria for many years, but has never become a reality.

http://www.timescolo...oria-1.23156722

Edited by amor de cosmos, 27 January 2018 - 07:34 AM.

#3974 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:44 AM

Commuter rail please. We don't have much more room in the harbour for another ferry service.

• tedward likes this

#3975 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

More lanes on the highway please. That’s the easiest way to move people. That’s the mode most people prefer. The personal automobile. Most households own one or more. Make room for it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3976 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

And make the parking at the base cost some money to encourage sharing.
  • tjv likes this

#3977 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,957 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

...the mode most people prefer...[is] The personal automobile...

And make the parking at the base cost some money to encourage sharing.

If most people prefer their own automobile why would they want to share the driving experience?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3978 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:49 AM

You’d be surprised what people will do to save $150/mo. Look at the Tyee parkers.

Tyee Parkers touring this summer in support of Tinto Rocks.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 January 2018 - 08:50 AM.

#3979 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,957 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

You’d be surprised what people will do to save $150/mo...

So perhaps then we should have expensive toll roads to encourage drivers to share.

#3980 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:14 PM

He said there will be multiple ways for customers to save money under the new system, adding that those who book in advance will find lower fares than those who wait until the last minute.

“You should see multiple choices for the same sailing. If you want the ability to change your reservation, it is one fee and if you’re happy to forgo flexibility and you want to lock in, you can get a lower price,” he said. “If you book in advance, say three weeks ahead versus three days ahead you will get a lower price.”

https://www.vicnews....ove-efficiency/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users