Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4581 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

Maybe they want to try it when it's not busy first...

They wanted to try it when it was busy first, but our dear liquor licensing board did what it does best and took it's sweet time.

#4582 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:02 PM

They wanted to try it when it was busy first, but our dear liquor licensing board did what it does best and took it's sweet time.

Wait for it...

350px-Orson_Welles_Paul_Masson_Tasting_p

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#4583 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

Lol

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4584 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:46 AM

CHEK:

Should BC Ferries allow passengers to buy more than one glass of beer or wine during a sailing?
No, one drink is enough (73%)
Yes, they should (27%)

#4585 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

I'm good with one too. It's much better than none and carries little risk of having folks driving off under the influence
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#4586 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:32 PM

I'm good with one too. It's much better than none and carries little risk of having folks driving off under the influence

it seems fine.  what do you even really have up in the buffet?  1 hour?  one drink one hour is ok.

#4587 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

One beer is fine, especially at the prices they'll likely charge.

This is a great opportunity for local breweries. They could also have one or two rotating taps/bottles so that every local brewer eventually gets a chance to go before a huge international audience.

Soon we will be wondering why they didn't do this 20 years ago.

• FogPub likes this

#4588 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

Which makes me wonder if there will be any pressure for the unionized BC Ferries to choose a unionized brewer eg: Molson/Coors (Granville Island Brewing).

#4589 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

One beer is fine, especially at the prices they'll likely charge.

Rode the Clipper recently for a Seattle boys weekend. $7.25 USD for a can of beer.

If was a tough credit card statement to view after buying three rounds of six over the course of the trip, knowing that every can bought was equivalent to a six pack at the store. Those 18 cans on the Clipper could have netted us a couple of kegs back on land.

So ya, I'm on board with limiting us idiots who walk on to a ferry and think it's a great idea to buy multiple rounds on-board.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4590 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

Which makes me wonder if there will be any pressure for the unionized BC Ferries to choose a unionized brewer eg: Molson/Coors (Granville Island Brewing).

Anybody know what the beer and wine list is on the northern routes?

#4591 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

Rode the Clipper recently for a Seattle boys weekend. $7.25 USD for a can of beer.

If was a tough credit card statement to view after buying three rounds of six over the course of the trip, knowing that every can bought was equivalent to a six pack at the store. Those 18 cans on the Clipper could have netted us a couple of kegs back on land.

So ya, I'm on board with limiting us idiots who walk on to a ferry and think it's a great idea to buy multiple rounds on-board.

https://20somethingf...its-price-list/

#4592 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

I can't see any mention of alcohol on the route website.

#4593 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:45 PM

I can't see any mention of alcohol on the route website.

They serve beer and wine, but no indication of which beers and wines. One of the BC Ferries announcements re: the southern routes said that they'll have "BC craft beer and VQA wines," but no further details.

#4594 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,881 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

They serve beer and wine, but no indication of which beers and wines. One of the BC Ferries announcements re: the southern routes said that they'll have "BC craft beer and VQA wines," but no further details.

didn't we get sued once (and lost) over this type of limited offering?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 September 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#4595 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

Here's the pricing info:

Prices range from $6.99 plus tax for a 355 ml (12-ounce) glass of beer and $9.99 plus tax for a 184 ml (5-ounce) glass of wine

#4596 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:00 PM

This is a great opportunity for local breweries. They could also have one or two rotating taps/bottles so that every local brewer eventually gets a chance to go before a huge international audience.

Surely the average patron of the buffet is a regular traveller, not a tourist. By the time tourists meander to the line and realize there's a buffet they aren't interested in wasting sailing time by standing around.

And can we realistically expect patrons to order a beer during breakfast? That nixes the 7-10 (perhaps even 11AM) sailings as opportunities to sell more than a few beers. There are currently only three vessels that feature the buffet (during the summer there are four vessels operating on the route).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4597 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:06 PM

I took the ferry to Prince Rupert last year. I don't remember the beer and wine seleciton being particularily inspiring. Certainly nothing worth noting.

#4598 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

And can we realistically expect patrons to order a beer during breakfast?

Not available until 11am.

#4599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,483 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:13 PM

Ok, that makes sense.

Know it all.

#4600 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:07 PM

I went down to Seattle recently for the Blue Jays at the Mariners. Had forgotten how much beer costs inside the park - a pint (I think) ran $13.5 USD. Could have gotten the same drink in a pub for half that price!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users