Photo

[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4601 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:26 AM

Rode the Clipper recently for a Seattle boys weekend. $7.25 USD for a can of beer.

If was a tough credit card statement to view after buying three rounds of six over the course of the trip, knowing that every can bought was equivalent to a six pack at the store. Those 18 cans on the Clipper could have netted us a couple of kegs back on land.

So ya, I'm on board with limiting us idiots who walk on to a ferry and think it's a great idea to buy multiple rounds on-board.

Can you open your duty-free bottle before you get ashore? Got a bigger bottle of duty-free smirnoff last time I was on the coho about $16.00usd(on sale)

#4602 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:34 AM

Can you open your duty-free bottle before you get ashore? Got a bigger bottle of duty-free smirnoff last time I was on the coho about $16.00usd(on sale)

I don't believe so. They don't give you your duty-free purchase until about 15 minutes left in the sailing anyways.

• Mike K. likes this

#4603 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

I went down to Seattle recently for the Blue Jays at the Mariners. Had forgotten how much beer costs inside the park - a pint (I think) ran $13.5 USD. Could have gotten the same drink in a pub for half that price!

Half of the Arizona Coyotes mid week games are $1 beer nights. That gets bums in the seats.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4604 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:16 AM

Half of the Arizona Coyotes mid week games are $1 beer nights. That gets bums in the seats.

If the Canucks did this it'd be far more attractive to hit a game or two each season...

#4605 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

The Canucks have no need to do it. The Yotes need incentives to get bums in seats, and that's with far lower ticket prices too.

#4606 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:15 PM

The Canucks have no need to do it. The Yotes need incentives to get bums in seats, and that's with far lower ticket prices too.

I know.  I was being - though hopeful - facetious. :)

#4607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:27 AM

When did BCF start pre-reserving tables in the buffet? They now put placards on the window seats and those closest to them identified as Reserved A, B and C. It looks like a way to keep people from flicking to the window seats as soon as they get it, but it’s so silly. Why shouldn’t those who hustle to the line to get up there ASAP upon boarding get those seats?

So anyways, we watched them take those placards down about half way through the sailing and people slowly migrated over to them. It was maybe 1/3rd full, anyways.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4608 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,949 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

isn't that just for pre-arranged large groups?  such as charter buses A B and C?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 September 2019 - 07:37 AM.

#4609 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

Perhaps. There wasn’t a charter which moved in on those seats on my sailing, but maybe the staff had made a mistake? Either way, part of the buffet experience is the seating.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4610 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:19 AM

If individuals can reserve prime seating locations in the BC Ferries buffets this must be something new. It's always been first come-first seated in all my times at the buffet.

#4611 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,025 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

Any time I’ve been in the buffet which lets be honest, has been a lot, there is a host with a stack of napkins who takes you to your table and they have always filled the window tables first. I suppose you could request a non window table...

Sucks if they’ve changed things, but if you are planning to eat a meal on the boat it’s still the best deal going.

Matt.
  • Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#4612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

Yes I’ve always been walked to the best table available by a host. I also noticed that the plugs next tobles have been blocked so you can’t charge up devices any more.

Know it all.

#4613 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:46 AM

Here’s how much B.C. Ferries fares have risen since 1960

B.C. Ferries’ already historically high fares were just approved for another increase

https://capnews.ca/b...itish-columbia/

that's an awful long article to tell us that passenger fares have gone down in current dollars and car prices have gone from $62 to $75. 

#4614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:42 PM

And how much better (and safer) the experience is for that $75 compared to $62.

We also have more frequent service, better terminal facilities and a variety of dining options. I would also think that more staff are required on board today than would have been 70-years-ago.
  • Matt R., tedward and vortoozo like this

Know it all.

#4615 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:59 AM

Amongst those ideas in a released independent report this year, commissioned by the BC Ministry of Transportation, is the consideration of a new BC Ferries terminal at Vancouver International Airport (YVR) — on Iona Island, immediately north of Sea Island in Richmond.

https://dailyhive.co...ational-airport
  • Matt R. likes this

#4616 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:50 AM

Iona is a park reserve, is it not? Good luck with that.

Know it all.

#4617 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

^not the whole island, just the westernmost part. The sewage treatment plan isn’t within the park boundary, for instance. I think part of this goes alongside the long term plan of YVR to build a new jetty for a fourth runway.

#4618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Wouldn’t the western part be where the terminal would go, though? It’s not a very big island, and I can’t imaging dredging up the river for a more easterly terminal would pass muster? Or maybe it’s already been dredged.

Know it all.

#4619 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,949 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

wouldn't it just be a passenger ferry?  not sure we need cars going there.  foot passengers to deposit at the airport and skytrain.

#4620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Oh that’s right it could very well be.

Could that, though, be a serious blow for YYJ? I mean c’mon, $25 for a ferry and $300 airfare in savings?
  • tedward likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users