[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#5021 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,053 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:59 PM

From the link above: “The last vehicle to be unloaded off the upper car deck drove off the ship, accelerated rapidly and smashed through a concrete wall,” said B.C. Ferries spokeswoman Deborah Marshall. “The vehicle fell approximately 30 feet to the lower holding compound of the terminal, landing on its roof. ”

well who reads the articles?   :rtfm:

anyway it's a bit crazy.  looks like a big truck.  was it a woman driver?  is that in the article?

• sdwright.vic likes this

#5022 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:01 PM

oh.

According to Marshall, the man was conscious and speaking with witnesses when paramedics loaded him onto a stretcher. B.C. Emergency Health Service said he was transported to hospital in critical condition.

#5023 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

A lack of a front plate might indicate it’s an Alberta vehicle?

It looks like a regular half ton pick-up, maybe?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5024 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 06:38 PM

well who reads the articles?   :rtfm:

anyway it's a bit crazy.  looks like a big truck.  was it a woman driver?  is that in the article?

Why on earth would the gender of the driver have anything to do with the accident?

• Brayvehart likes this

#5025 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 01:21 AM

women are generally smaller. and sometimes lose control of large trucks just because of their size and difficulty with the controls.

almost every news article on vehicle crashes will indicate the gender of the driver or passengers when known.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 December 2020 - 01:22 AM.

#5026 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:06 AM

I really hope you’re being sarcastic...
  • vortoozo, Brayvehart and Tom Sawyer like this

#5027 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 08:10 AM

look at any large truck on the road. now look at who is driving if there is a male and female in the front seats. more than 99 times out of 100 the male is driving.

if you were to poll the occupants on why that is the arrangement at least somewhere in the top answers will be that “the female feels less comfortable than the male at the controls”.

i am not suggesting that females can’t drive or drive well. but many don’t like big trucks. some do.

perhaps what i’m saying is not politically correct. but that does not necessarily make it inaccurate.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 December 2020 - 08:38 AM.

#5028 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 09:34 AM

Saskatchewan, like Alberta, does not require a front plate on vehicles.

#5029 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 11:07 AM

Is that right? Interesting, I don't think I recall not seeing a front plate on Sask vehicles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5030 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 02 December 2020 - 02:15 PM

look at any large truck on the road. now look at who is driving if there is a male and female in the front seats. more than 99 times out of 100 the male is driving.

if you were to poll the occupants on why that is the arrangement at least somewhere in the top answers will be that “the female feels less comfortable than the male at the controls”.

i am not suggesting that females can’t drive or drive well. but many don’t like big trucks. some do.

perhaps what i’m saying is not politically correct. but that does not necessarily make it inaccurate.

You? Politically incorrect? Shocking. 

• Nparker, North Shore and Victoria Watcher like this

#5031 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 December 2020 - 11:17 AM

🔹Feds, province announce funding for provincial transit agencies, BC Ferries🔹

The Government of Canada and the Province of BC have announced funding for transit and ferry operations in the province to the tune of over $1 billion.

Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Rob Fleming says funding will assist BC Transit, BC Ferries and Translink. The funding, described as re-start funding, will support sailing schedules and transit operations during this a period of significant ridership reductions and revenue shortfalls due to COVID-19.

Know it all.

#5032 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 06:46 AM

All 16 of the female engineers working in the B.C. Ferries fleet have filed a human-rights complaint against their employer, claiming gender-based discrimination.

Among their allegations is the lack of safe and private places to change into their overalls and to use the bathroom aboard vessels, said Adrienne Smith, a lawyer hired by the B.C. Ferry and Marine Workers Union to represent the women.

B.C. Ferries has a crew of more than 500 engineers who maintain, monitor and repair machinery aboard the ferries.

But the women who work in the department are often left humiliated and feeling unsafe, according to the complaint filed with the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal.

https://www.timescol...aint-1.24259796

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2020 - 06:47 AM.

#5033 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 07:41 AM

Sure, I would like to hear the mens' side of the story but I doubt it would convince me they're running anything but a boys' club down there. I know that type.

• lanforod, Brayvehart and JohnsonStBridge like this

#5034 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:10 AM

instead of having 16 token females on the 500-person engineer team why not just make it all male and save any troubles?

all 16 of them seem to be troublemakers.

kidding.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2020 - 09:11 AM.

• SimonH likes this

#5035 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 08:36 PM

And where do the non-binary go to change their clothes?

They are going to need at least a dozen change rooms.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5036 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 26 December 2020 - 09:32 PM

Yes, terribly transphobic of these womyn to ask for female-only changing spaces. Who put them up to this- JK Rowling?

#5037 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 07:44 AM

With a new, bigger ship coming, B.C. Ferries is asking residents of the southern Gulf Islands how they think the schedule should be changed.

After that, the corporation will take on something less contentious, like redrawing the borders in the Middle East, or deciding who should be last in line for the vaccine.    :)

https://www.timescol...eace-1.24284860

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2021 - 07:44 AM.

#5038 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:35 PM

Recent comments from officials representing Washington State Ferries (WSF) offer a case of bad-news, good-news for the future of the ferry connecting Sidney with the United States.

Ian Sterling, spokesperson for Washington State Ferries, has confirmed the Sidney-to-Anacortes route remains suspended until further notice, with no reason to expect a change before the end of peak season – at the end of September. Service between the sister communities of Sidney and Anacortes ceased in March 2020 because of international restrictions spurred by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Historically, WSF offers one daily round-trip sailing during the second quarter and fourth quarter of any calendar year, two daily round-trip sailings during the third (summer) quarter, while suspending service during the opening quarter.

https://www.vicnews....ntil-fall-2021/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2021 - 02:36 PM.

#5039 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:51 PM

In other words, the service is once-daily in spring and fall, and twice-daily in the summer, with no services in the winter.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#5040 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:45 PM

Does anyone know who does the terminal groundskeeping, traffic management, ticketing, maintenance etc. at the Sidney terminal. And who pays for it?

I would guess WSF contributes funding but doesn’t supply the manpower to operate the terminal. I wonder if the town of sidney operates it, or kicks in $ for its operation. Would be interesting to know how that shakes out.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users