[Marine] BC Ferries

• Please log in to reply
6319 replies to this topic

#4981 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:35 PM

Horgan said he immediately raised the issue with Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland Sept. 9, the day the decision to remove the temporary exemption put in place for the COVID-19 pandemic. Transport Canada lifted its requirement to vacate lower decks earlier this year after B.C. officials pressed federal officials repeatedly about keeping the ferry system functioning with greatly reduced traffic. Effective Sept. 30, passengers on lower decks must come up to passenger decks, which are subject to mandatory mask rules and have much of their seating blocked off to preserve physical distance.

Horgan said the regulation is stricter than it needs to be for most of the coastal routes B.C. Ferries follows. It was imposed in the wake of the 2006 sinking of the Queen of the North during an Inside Passage sailing at night. Two passengers in the lower vehicle decks died.

ya i don't think so.  fake news.

https://www.vicnews....rs-out-of-cars/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 September 2020 - 05:35 PM.

#4982 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:45 PM

^

Wow, you're so opposed to the Provincial government, that even when they are fighting to allow people to stay in vehicles without masks you need to contest it?

#4983 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:58 AM

no.  i'm opposed to the completely inaccurate news story about two people being "in the lower vehicle decks" when they died on the queen of the north.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 September 2020 - 02:59 AM.

#4984 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:21 AM

I am hoping that there while be some system in place were people who find it medically difficult to mask can reserve the upper vehicle deck. I have COPD and wearing  a respirator mask for two hours is really hard on my breathing. And by hard I dont mean uncomfortable.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4985 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:02 AM

I am hoping that there while be some system in place were people who find it medically difficult to mask can reserve the upper vehicle deck. I have COPD and wearing a respirator mask for two hours is really hard on my breathing. And by hard I dont mean uncomfortable.

With a reservation you have a very good chance of loading onto the upper deck. Also show up 60 minutes early just to be sure.

#4986 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, unless you're in an oversize vehicle. No solution for that, sorry.

#4987 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

The enclosed deck can get pretty hot does everyone have their windows open? Is it really much better than a large enclosed theatre?

If you get put next to the garbage compactor you’re screwed.

#4988 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:44 AM

In the summer it gets fairly warm down there, and it's very loud down there, especially with your windows open. I didn't like staying in my truck there at all. It's fine on deck 4... as long as you don't get car alarms going off the whole time, which does happen.

#4989 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:57 AM

In the summer it gets fairly warm down there, and it's very loud down there, especially with your windows open. I didn't like staying in my truck there at all. It's fine on deck 4... as long as you don't get car alarms going off the whole time, which does happen.

Suppose they could keep the ventilation system to loading mode. Very loud.

#4990 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:40 AM

Have they opened up the emergency “only” car deck exits?

#4991 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:35 AM

no.  i'm opposed to the completely inaccurate news story about two people being "in the lower vehicle decks" when they died on the queen of the north.

So where did they die, then?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#4992 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:22 AM

How do you know that's completely inaccurate? The TSB report was unable to conclude where the two passengers were. It notes that their cabin was reported cleared. So, they could have been on the vehicle deck. The story may or may not be inaccurate. Why do you believe it's completely inaccurate?

#4993 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:30 AM

nobody knows where they died. but the car deck is about the least likely place.

therefore the article is completely inaccurate.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 September 2020 - 10:32 AM.

#4994 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:58 AM

The russian freighter went into all the decks

#4995 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

Or you're parked beside one off the entry/exit doors that pneumatically open and close loudly.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4996 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:10 AM

nobody knows where they died. but the car deck is about the least likely place.

therefore the article is completely inaccurate.

Why is it the least likely place? If their cabin was searched and cleared along with other public areas, where else would they be? The vehicle deck was not searched and cleared because it was already filling with water when crew went down to that area. That is a fact from the TSB report.

#4997 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:00 AM

why would you be in your car at 1am when you have a sleeping cabin and the ferry is many hours away from its destination? yes there is some chance they went to the car to collect valuables but is that a normal reaction when you know a huge ship is sinking at an unknown rate?

the crew probably lied to save their jobs or were mistaken about clearing all cabins. there is no way to know what the crew did down there.

there is a lot we don’t know and the ship is still in davey jones locker.

what we do not know is where they were. and the newspaper article got it wrong.

people lie. you might lie if the alternate is admitting you panicked and left the ship before you must have and then two people died.

or they were just mistaken. there does not seem to be any accurate record of how they did the wake ups.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 September 2020 - 05:03 AM.

#4998 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:55 AM

Rumor I've heard circulated is it's suspected the couple may have been stuck in an elevator. 

Edited by max.bravo, 11 September 2020 - 08:10 AM.

#4999 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 07:59 AM

Jesus Christ.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5000 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

Still safer then Pat Bay Highway.

Edited by todd, 11 September 2020 - 08:20 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users