• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#581 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2019 - 01:43 PM

My question though ... was do you actually care what happens to it now?

In other words, if you never see it again, will you be choked ... or will you simply recall the secret backroom deals that had it removed ... and simply not care at all where it winds up?

• rjag likes this

#582 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:30 PM

I, for one, didn't even know it existed. But I disagree with getting rid of it, it needs a place of honour not shame.

Forgetting history does not change or improve history.

Edited by LJ, 22 July 2019 - 07:30 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#583 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

I'd want to see the statue returned to the public eye, with an accompanying interpretive panel explaining the history and character of the man. That would have been a much simpler solution than this hullabaloo.

Edited by grantpalin, 22 July 2019 - 07:39 PM.

#584 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

JAM.jpeg

• rjag and grantpalin like this

#585 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

I'd want to see the statue returned to the public eye, with an accompanying interpretive panel explaining the history and character of the man. That would have been a much simpler solution than this hullabaloo.

"explaining the history and character of the man"  that's the crux. Helps wants to build her base turning him into a monster.  Who decides?  The "City Family"?

Helps has turned reconciliation back 10 years.

#586 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:47 AM

^ The goal isn't to 'reconcile' it is to isolate. By turning the public against the cause then Helps will be the one they turn to for support.

• Nparker and rjag like this

#587 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

Turn to Helps? Pfffftttt!

#588 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:48 AM

Helps has turned reconciliation back 10 years.

Her attitude, and that of Isitt, seems to be "let's just do it...they'll get used to it". Instead they should work for some acceptance from people who can see the need for reconciliation, but want to feel they are part of it. Another example is the James Bay Library. If it were called the Songhees Branch, or Lekwungen Branch, or Salish Branch, everyone would start to call it that. That would keep the FN connection in mind. Instead they chose a phonetically challenging name, that I would suggest very few people would ever try to use. It may be ethnically pure, but it defeats the purpose.

• rjag, grantpalin, Midnightly and 2 others like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#589 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:02 AM

that’s a good point on the library.

#590 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

If the intent was to advance reconciliation, of course it was a disaster. But I suspect it was designed firstly to generate publicity for the mayor's reelection campaign launch and also to create a wedge issue where the mayor, Ben and Ben's acolytes could decry anyone who disagreed with the cloak and dagger drama as racist. This set the tone for an embarrassing Gong Show of an election in which progressive candididates like Hammond could, incredibly, be painted as right-wingers. It would never work in a city with an educated, astute thoughtful voter base but they definitely sized up their base correctly here and it worked.

The sad part is it almost certainly harmed the cause of reconcilation. But, hey, whatever it takes to win, right?
  • Nparker, rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#591 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:47 PM

That has no relevance to this discussion. Removing a statue from a place of prominence is not "erasing history".

Schools will keep teaching about his role in Confederation AND his role in genocide, you know, HISTORY.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#592 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

That has no relevance to this discussion. Removing a statue from a place of prominence is not "erasing history".

Schools will keep teaching about his role in Confederation AND his role in genocide, you know, HISTORY.

But surely a simple plaque on a statue could also achieve a similar, balanced view and also perhaps explain the context of his viewpoints in that era. Such a thing might help more people better understand how we got here.
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#593 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

But surely a simple plaque on a statue could also achieve a similar, balanced view and also perhaps explain the context of his viewpoints in that era. Such a thing might help more people better understand how we got here.

Nope. A statue in a prominent civic location glorifies the subject. Literally the person depicted is put on a pedestal. Adding, "a simple plaque" does little to counteract this.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#594 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:53 PM

Nope. A statue in a prominent civic location glorifies the subject. Literally the person depicted is put on a pedestal. Adding, "a simple plaque" does little to counteract this.

K. Thanks for setting me straight on that.
  • Daveyboy and Love the rock like this

#595 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:37 PM

Nope. A statue in a prominent civic location glorifies the subject. Literally the person depicted is put on a pedestal. 

As he should be.

#596 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:09 AM

an erin o'toole ad has the statue removal quite prominent in it.

https://twitter.com/...845322403663873

#597 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:10 PM

Activists topple statue of Sir John A. Macdonald in downtown Montreal

https://www.cbc.ca/n...atter-1.5705101

i really could not care less about statues.  but i'm still not a fan of idiots wrecking them.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2020 - 12:11 PM.

• rmpeers likes this

#598 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 01:29 PM

Presumably it was on public property. Someone needs to be charged with an offense.

#599 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 August 2020 - 02:35 PM

and we all know who in Victoria is all happy clappy about that incident....

#600 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:20 PM

I am Scottish and I am tired of my heritage being run down. Was he perfect, of coarse not. But if that is our standard than we better remove all reference to first nations since they were a slave owning culture particularly here on the west coast. .

• Nparker, rjag and mbjj like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users