Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#541 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:09 PM

but are kids traumatized by the name?  i attended a high school named after sir james douglas.  i don't recall even thinking twice about the name good or bad. sure these elementary kids are fine.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 June 2019 - 05:10 PM.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#542 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 05:30 PM

but are kids traumatized by the name?  i attended a high school named after sir james douglas.  i don't recall even thinking twice about the name good or bad. sure these elementary kids are fine.

not that i know of.. the school has worked hard to be inclusive and welcoming to diversity

#543 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:44 AM

I went there for about a year. It was the biggest elementary school in BC when it was built.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#544 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:54 AM

***BREAKING NEWS***

"In the late 1800's and early 1900's, many (if not most) generally middle class white citizens weren't at all inclusive of all races, and made little effort to understand cultures that were different from their own".

.....more news as story develops.

• Nparker, rjag, tedward and 3 others like this

#545 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 06:01 AM

classic

#546 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

My husband has some excerpts from letters his great-grandmother wrote, I think while traveling across Canada on the train. She had all sorts of comments about other races on board, commented on the colour of their skin, and called lots of them "hindoos". It's just the way things were. My british-born grandmother used a word not acceptable today, not because she was being nasty, but because that's how things were around 1900.

• Midnightly likes this

#547 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:24 AM

My husband has some excerpts from letters his great-grandmother wrote, I think while traveling across Canada on the train. She had all sorts of comments about other races on board, commented on the colour of their skin, and called lots of them "hindoos". It's just the way things were. My british-born grandmother used a word not acceptable today, not because she was being nasty, but because that's how things were around 1900.

Sounds like you have a lot of things to be apologizing for.

#548 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:49 AM

It's "express regret" apologizing is now associated with all that is bad. Sorry.

#549 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 09:54 AM

Not only is it not getting us anywhere, it is taking us backwards. No plan for Crysal pool, the firehall project is stalled and Topaz park is in its constant state of planning. All projects that were underway before the current gang decided to interject their personal beliefs instead of letting staff do their jobs.

A fair question to ask in 2022 would be, what have the current crew actually achieved?
  • Nparker and Teardrop like this

#550 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

When I was a kid we had Niggertoe Mountain and Squaw mountain, they're not called that anymore.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:33 AM

Jesus. Where were those? And surely those were not their official name?
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#552 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:38 AM

squaw is still used for a whole variety of geographic and place names.

https://en.wikipedia...disambiguation)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 June 2019 - 05:39 AM.

#553 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

Just like the old nickname for a Brazil nut. Or that old rhyme, eeny, meeny, miney, moe. We thought nothing of it.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#554 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:19 AM

Just like the old nickname for a Brazil nut. Or that old rhyme, eeny, meeny, miney, moe. We thought nothing of it.

i'm not even sure we knew that was a word in the rhyme.  or what the word meant anyway.

#555 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

Just like the old nickname for a Brazil nut...

When my father used this expression it made me cringe, even as a child. He had a similar name for the little black licorice candies that are sort of people-shaped. I loved him, but he was born and raised in a different time.

#556 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 02:44 PM

i'm not even sure we knew that was a word in the rhyme.  or what the word meant anyway.

Oh we knew what it meant all right but it didn't seem much of a big deal to us.

#557 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

Jesus. Where were those? And surely those were not their official name?

In the Okanagan, and if they weren't the official names there would have been no need to change them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#558 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:10 AM

i'm not even sure we knew that was a word in the rhyme. or what the word meant anyway.

What's wrong with catching a tiger by the toe?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#559 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

We never said tiger, lol. That came along well after my childhood.

• rjag likes this

#560 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:11 AM

What's wrong with catching a tiger by the toe?

I've already reported you to PETA.

• rjag, sebberry and sdwright.vic like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users