Victoria City Hall's statue of Sir John A. MacDonald could be on the move

• Please log in to reply
725 replies to this topic

#561 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:40 AM

We never said tiger, lol. That came along well after my childhood.

yup me either. In Scotland in the 70's when you were going to the corner store you said you were just running down to the Paki's to buy the papers. Everyone knew that was the corner store.

And of course what Brit doesnt remember Robertson Jam and their Golliwogs? https://www.google.c...iw=1499&bih=927

#562 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:43 AM

Yikes. Times have such changed  :eek:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#563 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

i'm not even sure we knew that was a word in the rhyme. or what the word meant anyway.

Tiger? Oh god no, it used to be something else?

I don’t know a slang term for Brazil nut, an I’m not looking it up! We always called them Brazil nuts.

Sigh.

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 30 June 2019 - 09:10 AM.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#564 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 05:58 PM

I come from a very British background so we had lots of books sent to us by relatives in England. One of my favorite series was Noddy by Enid Blyton. They were full of golliwogs, but as a child I just thought of them as little toy dolls, never anything to do with real people. It was only the adults who spoiled things.

I think those jam labels were around well into my childhood. My relatives in the UK still say Red Indians because that's what North American natives were always called over there.

• rjag and pennymurphy2000 like this

#565 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

https://www.thepostm...e-cheap-points/

Its a freaking tragedy and national shame what is being done to John A MacDonald. And how quickly its happened. In my mind and opinion he is still the national hero he was a couple years ago
  • rjag likes this

#566 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:35 AM

^ Well written link and very timely. Thank you for that.

That made me think.

I think I would like my children and theirs to know the truth... not a politician’s or a political movement’s version of it.

#567 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:51 AM

https://www.thepostm...e-cheap-points/

Its a freaking tragedy and national shame what is being done to John A MacDonald. And how quickly its happened. In my mind and opinion he is still the national hero he was a couple years ago

The only comfort we can take here is that Trudeau's name will never be attached to any building, statue, school and his face will never be on our currency. He will go down in history as one of the most milquetoast PM's ever in Canada, heck even Paul Martin and Joe Clark had more gravitas

#568 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:08 AM

"milquetoast"?? When Trump was trying to impress everyone about his dealmaking, Trudeau, Freeland et al. stood firm and ended up with a new NAFTA that didn't involve major concessions. The Conservatives, and Harper the puppet master, would have given in early in the process. Trudeau also stood up to Trump's bullying, imposing tariffs on steel and aluminum. Our PM is respected around the world (unless you believe doctored videos). Not only that, but Justin Trudeau has a solid marriage and great kids. 

I'm sure rjag that you consider Justin Trudeau effete. He stands for things with which you don't agree at all. You will never like him, and I'm sure you will look for any flaw or misstep and do all you can to magnify it. But when I look around at what used to be our unassailable allies, even role models, and I see what is happening in the U.S. and U.K., I am doubly grateful to have a leader like Justin Trudeau on this Canada Day. 

Have a good one rjag.

• Rob Randall, rjag, Matt R. and 1 other like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#569 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:55 AM

"milquetoast"?? When Trump was trying to impress everyone about his dealmaking, Trudeau, Freeland et al. stood firm and ended up with a new NAFTA that didn't involve major concessions. The Conservatives, and Harper the puppet master, would have given in early in the process. Trudeau also stood up to Trump's bullying, imposing tariffs on steel and aluminum. Our PM is respected around the world (unless you believe doctored videos). Not only that, but Justin Trudeau has a solid marriage and great kids. 

I'm sure rjag that you consider Justin Trudeau effete. He stands for things with which you don't agree at all. You will never like him, and I'm sure you will look for any flaw or misstep and do all you can to magnify it. But when I look around at what used to be our unassailable allies, even role models, and I see what is happening in the U.S. and U.K., I am doubly grateful to have a leader like Justin Trudeau on this Canada Day. 

Have a good one rjag.

And thats why we live in one of the most desired places in the world...our ability to have an opinion and to make it without fear of retribution from the authorities.

I have a different perspective on Trudeau than you...thats allowed, just like you Harper bashed and implied he was a weak negotiator on the international stage, I'll disagree with that statement. I would never bring up his family, thats the domain of trolls

The new Nafta is simply the old Nafta renamed with a few tweaks and doesnt reflect the new economy... it was Harpers Govt that did all the heavy lifting for the Eu trade agreement...and lets not forget our current poor relationship with India and China. I dont post fake videos of JT and have no need for confirmation bias. Even his own party are distancing themselves, lots of examples of new election signs and pamphlets etc being printed where his picture and name are missing a la Jagmeet/NDP I admit Scheer is likely equally ineffective, I dont have a problem saying that, I would rather have seen Rona Ambrose but thats another topic.

I stand by my opinion that he is milquetoast, he is not well regarded on the international scene and that impacts us. 

• LJ likes this

#570 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:03 AM

Trudeau had a little bit of trouble negotiating a handshake at the G20 summit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#571 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:25 AM

^ Well written link and very timely. Thank you for that.

That made me think.

I think I would like my children and theirs to know the truth... not a politician’s or a political movement’s version of it.

The article made several valid points that are often overlooked. The premise for the meeting in PEI to consider a maritime union was the fear that the Americans would invade Canada after the civil war completed. The British had their own issues at home and were looking to reduce costs of supporting overseas territories. It was JAM that convinced the Maritimes to join a confederation with upper and lower Canada. Without that it is quite possible that Canada would not exist as we know it today and the average FN band would be far worse off given what happened to their American counterparts.

#572 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:08 PM

Alright, which one of you was out front of City Hall today holding a large image of John A. MacDonald's statue?

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#573 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:25 PM

And thats why we live in one of the most desired places in the world...our ability to have an opinion and to make it without fear of retribution from the authorities.

I have a different perspective on Trudeau than you...thats allowed, just like you Harper bashed and implied he was a weak negotiator on the international stage, I'll disagree with that statement. I would never bring up his family, thats the domain of trolls

The new Nafta is simply the old Nafta renamed with a few tweaks and doesnt reflect the new economy... it was Harpers Govt that did all the heavy lifting for the Eu trade agreement...and lets not forget our current poor relationship with India and China. I dont post fake videos of JT and have no need for confirmation bias. Even his own party are distancing themselves, lots of examples of new election signs and pamphlets etc being printed where his picture and name are missing a la Jagmeet/NDP I admit Scheer is likely equally ineffective, I dont have a problem saying that, I would rather have seen Rona Ambrose but thats another topic.

I stand by my opinion that he is milquetoast, he is not well regarded on the international scene and that impacts us. 

You don't have to post fake videos, the real videos are cringe worthy enough on their own.

Harper, IMO, was one of the best PM's we have had. Didn't agree with everything he did/say but did agree with most of it.

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#574 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:05 AM

Looks like the City Family will start to discuss the future of Sir John A, along with "other controversial figures" in May 2020. Mark the date in your calendars.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=42946

#575 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 July 2019 - 05:58 AM

Does anybody really care at this point in time what happens to the Sir John statue?

I mean, does anybody really care?

Other than the endless (quite justified) comments that were made immediately after the statue was removed as a result of the political machinations of the COV mayor and council - do you actually care now what happens to it?

I personally couldn't care any less than I do about what happens to it. As far as I'm concerned it can continue to sit under a tarp at the COV's Garbally Road garage until such time as it's trucked across the bay to the scrap yard and loaded onto a barge.

#576 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:00 AM

I agree. but it might be good value if it gets some more use somewhere in the country.

#577 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:36 AM

Does anybody really care at this point in time what happens to the Sir John statue?

I mean, does anybody really care?

Other than the endless (quite justified) comments that were made immediately after the statue was removed as a result of the political machinations of the COV mayor and council - do you actually care now what happens to it?

I personally couldn't care any less than I do about what happens to it. As far as I'm concerned it can continue to sit under a tarp at the COV's Garbally Road garage until such time as it's trucked across the bay to the scrap yard and loaded onto a barge.

I doubt you'd find more than a few dozen folks that cared about the statue, but I bet it numbers in the thousands the folks that cared about how this process unfolded.

Lisa and her little club will try and focus on the statue while ignoring the real issue which is the secret unelected shadow government she created to make decisions over its citizens with no effort at democratic principle...nor apparently care for democratic process...a wet dream for some members of council who arent part of the 'family'

Thats the issue

Edited by rjag, 22 July 2019 - 06:37 AM.

• Nparker, jonny, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 06:51 AM

well I know we will spend even more money in this. the family members are compensated with cash for each meeting.

#579 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:46 AM

I'm a little bit objectionable to the removal of the statue (erasing history leads to forgetting history, despite who the person was) but I greatly disliked the process the mayor used to effect the removal.

• jonny likes this

#580 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

Hmm, I tend to think John A MacDonald is a national hero and the most significant figure in Canadian history and the removal of the statue is Marxist treachery.
  • LJ likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users