Photo

Uber / Lyft in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
944 replies to this topic

#701 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:12 AM

more boring news about the two companies supposedly operating here.

https://www.timescol...gion-1.24182810

Heard they are taking over the old u-bike offices :-) I wonder if the Mayor and SIPP will claim that they brought them to Victoria as part of their economic development efforts?

Edited by spanky123, 09 August 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#702 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:19 AM

So ubike is done?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#703 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:32 AM

Oak Bay kicked them out and their website is expired. Early the website stated the service was on hiatus due to COVID.

I had heard that a social agency had purchased their remaining bikes for the homeless but I can’t confirm that.

#704 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:41 AM

their website is down. no social media posts in 2020.

#705 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

Wow. You’re right. Meanwhile the Facebook page has not been updated since Christmas.

The app continues to show bicycles, however.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#706 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 07:20 AM

Wow. You’re right. Meanwhile the Facebook page has not been updated since Christmas.

The app continues to show bicycles, however.

I am downtown every day and haven’t seen a bike in a year
  • Mike K. likes this

#707 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

Good luck to anyone who signed up for the service and is trying to get their $50 deposit back.

• Mike K. likes this

#708 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:34 AM

https://www.timescol...land-1.24187029

Ride-hailing company ReRyde Technologies Inc. is planning to start service in 30 to 60 days in Greater Victoria, on Vancouver Island and in the Okanagan after its second bid for approval to operate was successful.

In the capital region, it joins previously approved ride-hailing services Kabu Rides and Lucky to Go.

#709 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:27 AM

We already have ride hailing in Victoria? Just goes to show the power of Lyft and Uber. Without those operating here it’s like the service doesn’t exist.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#710 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:37 AM

it seems to me some of these new guys are puling a big Target-type error. 

if you roll out your launch poorly you will have to fight harder and harder (pay more) to ever get that customer to try you again later.  

uber and lyft are not going to make that error here.

#711 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:38 AM

Pretty soon they’ll all be listed for sale. And you know what? Some might actually sell to cab companies in their bid to enter the market. But that’s quite a long shot.

Know it all.

#712 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:17 PM

^ I am surprised that Current Taxi is still around. The only place they can high speed charge is at Uptown which is where they always seem to be. I wonder if the drivers actually make money when they factor in all of the down time.

Edited by spanky123, 15 August 2020 - 01:17 PM.

#713 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

Presumably the license stays with the
operator right? If so, the end game is probably just sell it to Uber or Lyft. It'd be better for consumers to just you know approve them out right. I don't know if any of you have tried the apps of these no names out but they're sketchy crap I wouldn't trust to take my garbage across town.

Edited by tanker, 15 August 2020 - 06:30 PM.

#714 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,042 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 02:21 PM

Uber said it’s initial focus will be on the capital region and Kelowna.

Uber has been operating in Vancouver since late January.

The company expects its latest application will take three months, Michael van Hemmen, Uber’s head of city operations in Canada, said in an interview on Wednesday.

“We are hoping to be operational in time for the holidays.”

He said there has been “significant interest” in Uber’s ride-sharing services in Victoria and Kelowna, with about 100,000 people opening the Uber app over the past year.

https://www.timescol...tmas-1.24200308

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 September 2020 - 02:21 PM.

#715 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:31 PM

^ I am surprised that Current Taxi is still around. The only place they can high speed charge is at Uptown which is where they always seem to be. I wonder if the drivers actually make money when they factor in all of the down time.

Huh? What down time?

Tesla Model X range is approx 525km. Model S is about 480km. Model 3 is 400-500km depending on model.

Electric vehicles are ideal for taxis as the city driving with lots of stopping provides increased range (braking charges the battery).

That's about 10 round trips to the airport on one charge. I doubt that most taxis do more than 2 a day.

The vehicles can charge overnight when there is less demand.

• Brayvehart likes this

#716 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:55 PM

Huh? What down time?

Tesla Model X range is approx 525km. Model S is about 480km. Model 3 is 400-500km depending on model.

Electric vehicles are ideal for taxis as the city driving with lots of stopping provides increased range (braking charges the battery).

That's about 10 round trips to the airport on one charge. I doubt that most taxis do more than 2 a day.

The vehicles can charge overnight when there is less demand.

All I can say is that I see Current Taxis at the charging station at Uptown during the day every time I drive by. 

#717 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:13 AM

All I can say is that I see Current Taxis at the charging station at Uptown during the day every time I drive by. 

That doesn't mean it's an active taxi that would otherwise be being used. Taxi demand must surely be lower without the normal level of overseas tourists.

#718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:41 AM

City driving takes a toll on those vehicles. The most energy is used pushing that tonnage from zero to 50. You do that four times between Wharf and Cook, and five more times before you get to the destination, then do it all again 10 times over the next couple of hours, and you’re going to need to juice up sooner rather than later.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#719 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:27 PM

Uber said it’s initial focus will be on the capital region and Kelowna.

Uber has been operating in Vancouver since late January.

The company expects its latest application will take three months, Michael van Hemmen, Uber’s head of city operations in Canada, said in an interview on Wednesday.

“We are hoping to be operational in time for the holidays.”

He said there has been “significant interest” in Uber’s ride-sharing services in Victoria and Kelowna, with about 100,000 people opening the Uber app over the past year.

https://www.timescol...tmas-1.24200308

Any word on when Uber is going to start running here? Last we heard they hoped to be ready by the holidays.

#720 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:54 PM

Hopefully not anytime soon..
  • Brayvehart likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users