Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#10561 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:04 AM

Whatever the details in this case, it's a reminder of the courthouse camp in some respects. At the time, there were rumours of sexual assaults and of hard drugs being sold to minors at the site, among many other things.

Were they true? We don't know for sure, in part perhaps because (according to the buzz at the time) VicPD were instructed to take somewhat of a hands-off approach. Again, not sure if that's true or not.

Either way, there was a fair amoumt of documented nastiness at that site and, based on the mayor giving the camp an award, can we assume she supports that behaviour? Or did she just see a political "win" for herself and never mind the implications.

Food for thought.

#10562 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:35 AM

The Saanich PD must think everybody in the municipality has a reduced mental capacity ... the 3600 Block may not be right in the heart of tent city, but it's certainly right there, on the route that most of the residents of tent city take to go over to Uptown and shoplift their supplies.

For the sake of discussion on the matter ... the assault on this 13 year old girl indeed happened at tent city, albeit 400 feet away.

• Does Saanich PD really think that the 100 - 200 folks living at tent city never venture beyond the border of Regina Park?
  • Does Saanich PD really think that because the assault on the 13 year old girl happened 400 feet away (400 fricking feet!!) from Regina Park, it has absolutely nothing to do with tent city?

This situation is beyond absurd, and everybody involved from a policing and political end should lose their jobs for the incredibly shitty job they're doing of protecting the children who live in and around Uptown.

A 13 year old girl got assaulted, raped, and abused at Uptown Tent City ... and SaanichPD does nothing but go about their business (claiming it has nothing to do with tent city), and trying to spin the blame onto it simply being a random incident  ... the existence of Uptown Tent City is well past criminal on the part of those for whom Saanich taxpayers trust (and pay) to protect them.

Edited by Cassidy, 20 August 2018 - 10:36 AM.

• Nparker, martini and Midnightly like this

#10563 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

Are there any links to information on this incident?

#10564 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

Here's a link to a VicNews article on the matter...

https://www.vicnews....broad-daylight/

#10565 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

The most important takeaway from this: people should try to be more diligent when they split hairs about the precise boundaries of an improvised camp.

• Nparker, martini, sebberry and 3 others like this

#10566 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 07:36 PM

We know why Vic PD continually under-reports incidents, but why is Saanich PD? Atwell is not an SJW is he?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10567 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

Well he let the tent city take shape there. Had he acted sooner, and never let it become a thing, it wouldn’t be there. It’s happening under his watch... just before the elections. Must not admit that there is anything wrong happening. Big issue with too many of our elective representatives lately.
  • Wayne and rmpeers like this

#10568 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

For the sake of discussion on the matter ... the assault on this 13 year old girl indeed happened at tent city, albeit 400 feet away.

I have a general rule of not replying to your posts, but, in this case, I must.

It wasn't in the camp. People can be in tents nearby that aren't tent city. There's been extensive tenting next to the Goose for years.

If an assault happens four hundred feet from your residence, is it actually your residence?
  • shoeflack and nagel like this

#10569 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

I have a general rule of not replying to your posts, but, in this case, I must.

It wasn't in the camp. People can be in tents nearby that aren't tent city. There's been extensive tenting next to the Goose for years.

If an assault happens four hundred feet from your residence, is it actually your residence?

Your comment could potentially come from somebody who would make an excellent spokesperson for the SaanichPD!

But seriously ... equivocating Uptown Tent City as a self-contained entity, one that has nothing to do with a crime committed 400 feet away is definitely a tool designed to deflect from reality ... albeit one that not everybody is silly enough to buy into believing.

(please feel free to continue not responding to my posts BTW, if it suits you - but if you do choose to respond, I'm all too happy to answer).

#10570 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

No idea of the accuracy or not, but someone on reddit said there's another, smaller camp nearby that may have been connected. No idea, but that may be the source of the confusion.

#10571 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2018 - 11:44 AM

There's "camps" (or tent cities if you prefer) all over the CRD, unfettered by law enforcement ... which is kind of the whole point.

Regina Park is getting crowded, so that a "new" tent city may have sprung up 400 feet away wouldn't be at all surprising ... and would essentially be just an extension of Uptown Tent City ... which (again) is kind of the whole point.

If folks want to split hairs, they're welcome to do so ... but when they get called out on that "hair splitting" - hopefully they don't get all in a huff that in being sticklers for detail - folks may suggest to them that they're overlooking the blatantly obvious connection between one encampment, and another encampment just a few hundred feet away.

#10572 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:00 PM

Connection or not, all Saanich PD clarified in their statement was that this incident did not physically occur in Regina Park, which is what the claims on social media were stating. They clarified a location. That's all. They made no mark of whether or not it was someone connected to the tent city. Good grief, Cassidy. Not everything is a conspiracy.

• Rob Randall and martini like this

#10573 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:13 PM

Connection or not, all Saanich PD clarified in their statement was that this incident did not physically occur in Regina Park, which is what the claims on social media were stating. They clarified a location. That's all. They made no mark of whether or not it was someone connected to the tent city. Good grief, Cassidy. Not everything is a conspiracy.

I would disagree, and note that if SaanichPD hadn't made efforts to somehow distance this rape of a child from it's proximity to Uptown Tent City, the public blow-back would have been untenable for them.

SaanichPD constructed their story such that the 400' was enough (according to them) to make the crime completely unrelated to Regina Park ... which (despite those posting to the contrary here) we all know to be complete and utter hogwash.

And now SaanichPD hope that everybody will just forget about it, and ignore the fact that it happened only steps from Regina Park ... only steps from the illegal Uptown Tent City.

#10574 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

There have always been tenters and homeless around the trails there and there will continue to exist long after this tent city is dismantled. It is completely reasonable to say this assault may not be connected to the larger encampment. We simply don't know the connection based on media reports so we can dispense with hysterics.

• martini and shoeflack like this

#10575 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:08 PM

I feel we are splitting hairs when the real issue at hand is the fact a 13 year old girl was sexually assaulted in broad daylight in a very busy area. I work very close to there. I'm fed up with what's going on. Daily we are having issues. Personal safety concerns. Vandalism. Daily theft.
  • sdwright.vic, lanforod, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#10576 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

There have always been tenters and homeless around the trails there and there will continue to exist long after this tent city is dismantled. It is completely reasonable to say this assault may not be connected to the larger encampment. We simply don't know the connection based on media reports so we can dispense with hysterics.

You're free to decide how you view the situation Rob ... please refrain from telling me how I'm obliged to view it ... how I should "dispense" with my opinion.

BTW ... hysterics don't enter into the equation ... however a highly reasonable personal predilection to question comments from ANY police department ANYWHERE remains my ONLY equation.

#10577 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

Whatever the case, here's hoping the information about the incident isn't being spun.

#10578 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 03:21 PM

Regardless of Regina Park or not, the police and politicians are letting the element that resides in tent city take over.
  • Nparker, martini, Midnightly and 1 other like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#10579 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

Well this looks a little different from our Crime Stoppers most wanted;

https://www.torontop.../mostwanted.php

• Lorenzo likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#10580 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

I was reading this article that left me feeling somewhat vindicated for what we are all experiencing 

being in the red zone around tent city. 

https://www.timescol...ourt-1.23417312

I did not know who Jason Sheena was. 

I'm just at a loss for words. 

Edit: I just noticed this article was posted in the Homeless thread. I shall move over there. Admin, delete if you wish. 

Just mad as hell learning about this. 

Edited by martini, 31 August 2018 - 09:24 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users