Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#10541 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:55 PM

Motor vehicle incident involving a motorcycle. Sounds bad.

Been a lot of those lately. The numbers will go down once the summer riders take their bikes of the road.

#10542 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

VicPD has now confirmed the motorcyclist has passed away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10543 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

A major incident on three buses that stopped outside the Crystal Pool on Quadra around 5:40 pm this afternoon.

A man appearing to be in his 40s having a serious mental health crisis boarded a number 6 Royal Oak and began threatening passengers. He then got on the following two buses and did the same thing. All three buses stayed at the bus stop.

Cops descended on the scene quickly and had the whole street shut down as they apprehended the man. He did not go down easily and had to be subdued by multiple cops and he was swearing and yelling the whole time.

I talked to one elderly woman who said the man threatened her directly, saying he was "going to cut you up".

bus_incident.jpg

Edited by Rob Randall, 14 August 2018 - 05:36 PM.

#10544 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 05:41 PM

Oh my, that sounds harrowing. What is going on in our city?

• pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10545 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:24 PM

^^^Lisa Helps
  • Nparker, mbjj and rmpeers like this

#10546 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:56 PM

I talked to one elderly woman who said the man threatened her directly, saying he was "going to cut you up".

Just be thankful that you don't live in a bigger city.* Such incidents would call into question the fundamental livability of the place.

*or a smaller one, or a different one of the same size

#10547 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:11 PM

After that horrific Greyhound incident (can you believe that was 10 years ago?), you can understand how unnerving it might be to have a mentally ill person threaten to "cut you up" when you are on a bus.

#10548 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:14 PM

The woman I spoke to was in good humour about the whole thing but at the time I imagine it would be unnerving simply because you don't know where things are going. Is it just a drunk having a bad day or a murderous psychopath?

#10549 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

Just be thankful that you don't live in a bigger city.* Such incidents would call into question the fundamental livability of the place.

I think I understand what you are saying.  Myself, have lived in a number of bigger cities, this is not something normal or to be normalized.

• Love the rock, Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#10550 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:38 PM

?????

A Chew employee working at the site confirmed the closure is not related to the company’s work but it is believed to be linked to something found on the property.

https://www.saanichn...-investigation/

#10551 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 01:51 PM

Probably found bones and they want to determine if they are human and recent.

#10552 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:07 PM

I think I understand what you are saying.  Myself, have lived in a number of bigger cities, this is not something normal or to be normalized.

Indeed, Victorians tend to downplay extreme things simply because the extreme things happened in Victoria. Making observations about this has been part of my shtick since the pre-VV era. As I like to say, "It could have been worse. It could have happened in Vancouver."

#10553 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 17 August 2018 - 02:13 PM

In a bigger City the response would have been "oh and on what route did this happen today"?

#10554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:03 PM

A paramedic was assaulted today along the 900-block of Pandora. No further details are available at this time.

Know it all.

#10555 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 01:50 PM

Paramedics are the last people the folks in this area should be assaulting. 

• martini and pennymurphy2000 like this

#10556 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

From Victoria buzz...
« Saanich police are investigating allegations of a sexual assault that took place Saturday afternoon in the 3600 block of Highway 17, near Uptown Shopping Centre.« 

Let me see... what you else is close to Uptown? Could it at all be related with the increase in crimes at Uptown perhaps? Nah....
  • martini likes this

#10557 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 07:53 PM

From Victoria buzz...
« Saanich police are investigating allegations of a sexual assault that took place Saturday afternoon in the 3600 block of Highway 17, near Uptown Shopping Centre.«

Let me see... what you else is close to Uptown? Could it at all be related with the increase in crimes at Uptown perhaps? Nah....

I saw a FB post about that this morning. A sixteen year old girl I believe. Very serious situation if what was posted is true.

#10558 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

I saw a FB post about that this morning. A sixteen year old girl I believe. Very serious situation if what was posted is true.

i spotted it also.. a parent posted on a group (i think it has since been taken down) that a girl (think they posted she was 13) was dragged into the camp, was given drugs then assaulted

then chek news posted "Saanich police said they are aware that some people on social media are suggesting the alleged incident happened in Regina Park's tent city. However, police said they can confirm the reported incident did not occur at that location." on their facebook page

now they didn't deny that an incident happened they are just saying it didn't happen within the park..

if it happened at all is a concerning thing!

• martini likes this

#10559 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

i spotted it also.. a parent posted on a group (i think it has since been taken down) that a girl (think they posted she was 13) was dragged into the camp, was given drugs then assaulted

then chek news posted "Saanich police said they are aware that some people on social media are suggesting the alleged incident happened in Regina Park's tent city. However, police said they can confirm the reported incident did not occur at that location." on their facebook page

now they didn't deny that an incident happened they are just saying it didn't happen within the park..

if it happened at all is a concerning thing!

13?! Yikes! I had quickly read it and didn't follow up. I agree. The fact it happened period is shocking.
I wonder with tensions so high with the surrounding community they are splitting hairs on the location?
I work in the vicinity. Our patience, tolerance and compassion have been abused daily. It's baaaaaaaad.

#10560 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

Having lived through the first tent city, i wholeheartedly sympathize with the neighbours and those who have to work there. I hope this story was overblown as it sounds truly horrible.

Either way, something has got to change.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 19 August 2018 - 09:17 PM.

• martini, Midnightly, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (4), Bing (1)