Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21542 replies to this topic

#10881 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:27 AM

Over a dozen Saanich Police vehicles parked on Vernon Avenue across from the Save on Foods shopping centre. Any idea what is going on? There is a small crowd of people standing on the sidewalk near the bus stop.

#10882 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:29 AM

They're responding to a weapons call at the apartment/condo bldg across from SOF.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#10883 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:51 PM

Police probe discovery of human remains
West Shore

2019-03-01 15:43 PST

File # 2019-3763

West Shore RCMP and BC Coroners Service are investigating after the discovery of human remains in a wooden area in Langford.

At approximately 10:30 a.m., on March 1, 2019, police responded to the forest in the 3500 block of West Shore Pkwy after they were notified by the public of a deceased person. Out of abundance of caution, several resources were deployed to the scene, including the Island District RCMP Forensic Identification Services and the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit.

The identity of the deceased person will not be released pending the Next of Kin notification.

Police do not suspect that foul play was involved and that there is no risk to the public.
The investigation remains ongoing at this time.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10884 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 10:53 PM

3500 West Shore Parkway is like around the roundabout, right?

#10885 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 07:13 AM

It’s just past the last crosswalk and row of houses at Westhills.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10886 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:27 PM

Hold up, you possibly had the same individual cause damage to your suite, and the police turned you away?

Three times.  This was after telling the report desk that:

• That I was encouraged to submit a report through the report desk by a fraud detective friend of mine after describing to him in some detail what happened.
  • I could and did provide the corresponding file number and news release(s) - there was a follow up news release just this past Thursday about scammers using STVRs for prostitution, as well as damaging the units.
  • The MO and description of the fellow matched what happened to me (although thank God no significant damage).
  • The suspect passed a bad cheque and doctored a wire transfer confirmation (the Criminal Code refers to this as "uttering a forged document").
  • I had video surveillance of the prick and an accomplice.

Each time, I was informed that this was a civil matter and that the police would not take a report.  I asked them to tell me how they came to the conclusion that a case that almost directly matches a case(s) for which they put out TWO news releases warning people is a civil matter and they basically said, "It just is."

Honestly, the Chief comes cap in hand for more money when they don't want to investigate obviously criminal matters.  I don't even really give a ****, because I basically got away with a couple of cigarette burn marks and a stiffed bill - I just want the report in, in case they catch the bastard so I can sue him in Small Claims and make his life miserable hunting him down for my money.

• sebberry likes this

#10887 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

Saanich Police have issued a statement regarding a carjacking that occurred yesterday evening. Apparently a tow truck driver who witnessed the carjacking came over to assist the victims. He pulled out the carjacker and sat on him until the police arrived.

Carjacking Attempts Lead to Injuries and Damaged Vehicles

A 29 year old man is in custody after attempting to carjack two vehicles last night, March 3, 2019. At approximately 8:30pm, the suspect walked into the gas pump area at the Esso on Douglas Street and Tolmie Avenue and approached several vehicles at the pumps. He then made his way to a black sedan, possibly a Toyota, where another man had just finished pumping gas and had climbed back into his car. The suspect opened the driver’s door of this car and tried to force his way in, struggling with the driver. Several witnesses came to the driver’s aid and the suspect fled on a bike.

Moments later in the adjacent Tim Horton’s parking lot, the suspect approached a father and daughter seated in their Honda Civic and opened the driver’s door. The suspect began assaulting the father, who lost control of the car as it backed into a parked tow truck. The car was then bumped into drive and proceeded to move forward through the parking lot, striking 3 other cars, driving over a garden bed and tree and then hitting a retaining wall, where it stopped.

Again, several witnesses came to help and were able to restrain the suspect on the ground, until police arrived. The father and daughter were both taken to hospital to be assessed and treated for injuries, believed to be relatively minor. The suspected was arrested for 2 counts of Robbery and is being held in custody for court appearance on March 4th.

“Although we never want people to put themselves in harms way, the courageous actions of everyone who intervened during this dynamic and dangerous situation, likely prevented further injury and damage as a result of this man’s actions” said Sgt. Julie Fast, Public Information Officer of the Saanich Police.

Our investigation into this is ongoing and we are asking anyone with information to call us. In particular, we have not identified nor spoken to the first attempted carjacking victim, the driver of the black sedan from the Esso gas station. If you are that driver or know who it is, please contact the Saanich Police at 250-475-4321.

Know it all.

#10888 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:22 AM

Again, several witnesses came to help and were able to restrain the suspect on the ground, until police arrived. 

“Although we never want people to put themselves in harms way, the courageous actions of everyone who intervened during this dynamic and dangerous situation, likely prevented further injury and damage as a result of this man’s actions” said Sgt. Julie Fast, Public Information Officer of the Saanich Police.

good job there citizens.

#10889 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:46 AM

" Several witnesses came to the driver’s aid and the suspect fled on a bike."

I wonder what the odds are that the bike he fled on (all of what, 1/3rd of a block) was stolen?

#10890 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:34 PM

" Several witnesses came to the driver’s aid and the suspect fled on a bike."

I wonder what the odds are that the bike he fled on (all of what, 1/3rd of a block) was stolen?

U Bike?

#10891 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:40 PM

I assume we're emphasizing this point because lately they haven't been quite as rare as we might expect them to be?

Carjackings, where a person enters a car when the driver is in the vehicle and uses force to eject them, are "very rare" in the capital region...

March 4, 2019

Violent carjacking attempt causes mayhem in Saanich parking lot

December 18, 2018
West Shore RCMP investigating carjacking from parking lot near McDonald’s in Langford

Sept 28, 2018
Suspect in custody after collisions, carjacking in downtown Victoria

August 20, 2018
Police seek vehicle after early morning carjacking in Oak Bay

Seriously though, what's our baseline here? Carjackings should be rare in any Canadian city, despite the occasional high-profile incidents that do happen (Victoria has had its share of those over the years, as have Saskatoon, Halifax, etc.).

Anyway, I sure hope the day never comes when a Canadian city stoops to accepting carjackings as a common occurrence.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#10892 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:25 PM

MAybe buddy was thinking that seeing as there's little to no consequences for stealing a bicycle, that cars would be the same?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#10893 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 March 2019 - 11:57 AM

I assume we're emphasizing this point because lately they haven't been quite as rare as we might expect them to be?

March 4, 2019

Violent carjacking attempt causes mayhem in Saanich parking lot

December 18, 2018
West Shore RCMP investigating carjacking from parking lot near McDonald’s in Langford

Sept 28, 2018
Suspect in custody after collisions, carjacking in downtown Victoria

August 20, 2018
Police seek vehicle after early morning carjacking in Oak Bay

Seriously though, what's our baseline here? Carjackings should be rare in any Canadian city, despite the occasional high-profile incidents that do happen (Victoria has had its share of those over the years, as have Saskatoon, Halifax, etc.).

Anyway, I sure hope the day never comes when a Canadian city stoops to accepting carjackings as a common occurrence.

Dunno about the baseline for Victoria, but in 2016 there were 14,006 vehicles stolen in BC. That went up by 2% in 2017.

Back in 2001 Surrey had the unofficial moniker as the Car Theft Capital of North America, with over 6,000 vehicles stolen, but it's not quite as bad these days. Only 2,961 vehicles were stolen in Surrey in 2017. Apparently SUVs and Ford trucks are the most popular.

#10894 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 01:10 PM

Apparently Australia (the country) has ~300 carjackings per year. It would be funny if little ol' Victoria gives big ol' Victoria a run for its money in this regard:

Carjacking in Australia: possible future directions

Slightly fewer than 74,000 vehicle thefts were recorded in Australia in 2006 (National Motor Vehicle Theft Reduction Council 2007). Analysis of police and insurance records suggests that fewer than 300 carjackings (as defined above) occur each year.

There are no means currently available to assess whether carjacking is occurring more often or in a wider range of locations. Difficulties in accurately capturing and counting all instances of carjacking in Australia relate to:

• differing understandings of what the term carjacking describes
  • differing offences that could be involved in a carjacking incident
  • jurisdictional differences in legislation and police recording practices.

#10895 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 04:00 PM

Background: https://www.cbc.ca/n...ation-1.4019143

Media Advisory | VIIMCU Inspector David Hall to Speak Regarding Richard “Blair” Young’s Homicide

Victoria, BC – Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit (VIIMCU) Inspector David Hall will speak with members of the media regarding the Blair Young homicide investigation on Wednesday, March 6th, 2019.

February marked the two year anniversary of Blair’s disappearance.  His body was recovered in the beginning of March, 2017.

Inspector Hall will share developments in the investigation and appeal for witnesses and information at VicPD’s Headquarters.

Where: 1st Floor Briefing Room, VicPD Headquarters, 850 Caledonia Ave, Victoria BC.

When: 1:00 pm, Wednesday, March 6th, 2019

Arrival information: Please arrive by 12:50 pm.

Late arrivals cannot be accommodated.

Plug-in access to audio will be provided.

Please bring photo id.

Know it all.

#10896 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:30 PM

Here are some local crimes from a century ago. May 7, 1919:

Capture.JPG

#10897 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:47 PM

Oh my.

What’s Assizes, again?

Know it all.

#10898 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:55 PM

Near as I can figure assizes in this context are just another name for courts dealing with serious crimes.

The mishap of poor Edward Chapman reminds me of the classic joke I'm sure you've heard before, told here by Sir Paul McCartney.

#10899 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 12:38 AM

Near as I can figure assizes in this context are just another name for courts dealing with serious crimes.

The mishap of poor Edward Chapman reminds me of the classic joke I'm sure you've heard before, told here by Sir Paul McCartney.

Assizes are courts that don't sit regularly, I believe.  Likely, in theses cases, convened to deal with all the rapes.

#10900 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:32 PM

On February 15th, 2017, VicPD notified the public that Blair Young was missing. He had not been heard from by his family for over a week. The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit (VIIMCU) took over the investigation and worked with VicPD investigators.  The investigation into his disappearance continued until March 2nd, 2017, when Blair’s body was located on the Malahat.

The investigation is active and ongoing today, and investigators are asking for the public’s assistance. 

Investigators are releasing footage of Blair Young leaving his apartment building for the last time on February 8th, 2017 in the hopes that somebody will come forward with new information.

Homicide investigations are complex, and can be lengthy undertakings. Investigators are releasing the video and asking the public to come forward to help bring closure to Blair’s family. Investigators are asking anyone who has any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem, to please call us on the VIIMCU information line at 250-380-6211. There is no information to suggest that the public is at risk.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

29 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users

Love the rock, Bing (3), pontcanna