The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#11101 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 436 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:18 AM

VPD, here's a thought. Pull your best and brightest out of IRSU and bring them back where they're needed.  

#11102 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:31 AM

VPD, here's a thought. Pull your best and brightest out of IRSU and bring them back where they're needed.  

That proposition seems to go in the opposite direction of any effort to "amalgamate" regional law enforcement services, let alone amalgamate entire municipalities (something most believe would be incredibly beneficial to said regional law enforcement).

It's only four VicPD officers that serve on the IRSU, so really not much of an impact in terms of fixing what VicPD is saying ails them.

As well, it's not as if those four officers aren't still doing police work, they do traffic and a whole lot more. It's not like they're pulled away to sit behind a desk, or work outside the region.

#11103 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:50 AM

There's probably a reason they've been shuffled over to IRSU... you sure you want them back locally? :) 

• Nparker and Lorenzo like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:52 AM

Note that despite some of the comments on here (in the past) related to maternity leave and its effects on the West Shore RCMP, VicPD also cites maternity leave as a major contributor to its staffing problems.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11105 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

I'm not sure I see the fact that human beings have offspring as a "problem". I suppose our inability to flap our arms and fly is a problem as well.

#11106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

Police are not hired to flap their arms and fly, though.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11107 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:32 AM

I'm not sure I see the fact that human beings have offspring as a "problem". I suppose our inability to flap our arms and fly is a problem as well.

I know you're being obtuse on purpose. Parental and maternity leaves cause a lot of staffing challenges, particularly in union environments with long leaves available for positions that are difficult or impossible to back-fill due to the training requirements of the job. It's one thing if an administrative assistant takes a 1 year mat leave, its a lot harder if a detective does so.

• Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

#11108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:35 AM

Another symptom of Victoria’s under-funding of its police force materializes:

Front Desk Hours Of Operation To Be Reduced June 17th

Victoria, BC – Citizens seeking service at VicPD’s headquarters are being notified of an upcoming change in our front desk hours.

On June 17th, VicPD’s service hours at the front desk of our 850 Caledonia Avenue headquarters will be reduced to 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. The front desk and lobby area will be closed on Saturdays, Sundays and statutory holidays. This change is consistent with other public agencies and part of a series of service adjustments the department is undertaking to better realign our services with our resources.

After hours non-emergency reporting can be made by calling our non-emergency line at (250) 995-7654, or by using our online crime reporting service: https://vicpd.ca/reportcrimeonline.

VicPD Esquimalt Division front desk hours are unaffected by this change.

Know it all.

#11109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

I know you're being obtuse on purpose. Parental and maternity leaves cause a lot of staffing challenges, particularly in union environments with long leaves available for positions that are difficult or impossible to back-fill due to the training requirements of the job. It's one thing if an administrative assistant takes a 1 year mat leave, its a lot harder if a detective does so.

I wonder how many constables and civilian staffers are away on mat leave? Clearly it's enough of an issue to be cited in the report.

Know it all.

#11110 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:51 AM

Fascinating that you're all fixated on the parental leave, but ignoring the  "physical and occupational stress injuries" which suggests that the VicPD officers are being put under more strain than usual, and being listed first, is likely a far more important impact on staffing.

• martini and A Girl is No one like this

#11111 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

All police departments "need more money and need more officers", irrespective of the political leanings of their municipal council. It's up to the police board to determine the spending envelope and make them accountable.

Does it make sense for the two mayors to chair the VicPD Board? I say no. They should be members, but not chairs.

#11112 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

Fascinating that you're all fixated on the parental leave, but ignoring the "physical and occupational stress injuries" which suggests that the VicPD officers are being put under more strain than usual, and being listed first, is likely a far more important impact on staffing.

Who’s ignoring it? I think this forum is fairly critical of city hall and their decisions that have made policing harder, more dangerous, more stressful
  • lanforod, Daveyboy, Midnightly and 3 others like this

#11113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

My point was that when I had mentioned only a short time ago that West Shore RCMP's staffing issues also included maternity leaves (despite them not publicly acknowledging it), it was criticized as no more than hot air. But here we see VicPD explicitly citing mat leave as a leading cause of staffing shortages.

Know it all.

#11114 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:44 AM

My point was that when I had mentioned only a short time ago that West Shore RCMP's staffing issues also included maternity leaves (despite them not publicly acknowledging it), it was criticized as no more than hot air. But here we see VicPD explicitly citing mat leave as a leading cause of staffing shortages.

The leading cause was physical and occupational stress injuries, based on the order you listed.

#11115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:49 AM

Mat leave is a (plural) leading cause, not the (singular) leading cause.

I also wouldn't assume that the order of the causes is anything more than their randomized identification.

Furthermore, in the same post that you're referencing, the first paragraph identifies mat leave as a staffing loss issue immediately following retirement. So are we to assume that mat leave is the #1 cause of loss affecting active constables?

Significant staffing changes at the start of Q1 have resulted in the transfer (as a result of promotions) and loss (as a result of retirements, maternity, occupational stress injuries, etc.) of civilian and sworn staff. Approximately 50 percent of ISD is composed of new staff, including all supervisory positions, except two. This has created challenges due to a loss of knowledge and general experience. For example, new staff must learn ISD Business Rules, Major Case Management and disclosure standards, new reporting requirements, and other administrative components. Additionally, many of the staff require core training; however, are unable to attend due to staff shortage, or attend despite critically low staffing.

Know it all.

#11116 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:00 PM

There is nothing wrong with saying parental leave is a staffing challenge. It's not attacking parental leave or saying it shouldn't be offered. It's saying HR and hiring practices need to reflect that. If x number of officers are needed for front line police duties and say 5 are on parental leave and 10 are recovering from injury at any given time, VicPD needs to be funded to hire x+15 officers.
  • lanforod, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#11117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:05 PM

Exactly.

Know it all.

#11118 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 02:26 PM

Why not people just obey the law?
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#11119 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:50 PM

They're just creating the next gen of Vic PD. :cop:  Some people just haven't seen Blue Blood.

• Mike K. and Lorenzo like this

#11120 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:57 AM

https://www.timescol...ouse-1.23851381

that report does not even describe the area where the incident happened let alone the address or street. considering the suspect was chased it seems odd the victim can provide no description. perhaps he can’t remember the location either.

the other newspaper called it a home invasion. and said it happened in the 3200 block of woodburn.

https://www.oakbayne...-bay-residence/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 June 2019 - 02:02 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users