The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#11381 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

A man is in hospital as a result of the shooting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11382 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:49 AM

🚔Saanich Police search warrant at Gordon Head home locates drugs and $170,000 in cash🚔

The Saanich Police Street Crime Unit have arrested a 39 year old Saanich man for drug trafficking. The man, who is known to police for previous drug offences, was the subject of an investigation that started in late July when police observed him acting suspiciously. On July 31st, officers had gathered enough evidence to arrest him and did so during a traffic stop on Blenkinsop Road.

With the man in custody, officers then obtained a search warrant for his residence in the 1600 block of San Juan Avenue. During the search of his home, more than $170,000 in cash, half a kilogram of drugs, and two stun batons were located. The drugs, believed to be cocaine, heroin, fentanyl and methamphetamine, have a street value of approximately $81,000.

The man has since been released from custody and police will be recommending several charges including 3 counts of drug trafficking and 2 counts of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11383 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,046 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:33 AM

My old hood!

Matt.

#11384 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 August 2019 - 11:27 AM

My old hood!

Matt.

Neighbourhood or hoodlum - you know this guy?

• Matt R. likes this

#11385 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

About the shooting that took place on Bay Street yesterday....

CTV News spoke Wednesday to the mother of Ryan Williams, who said her son has since been released from hospital after he was shot.
She said Williams pulled the bullet out of his body himself and gave it to Victoria police officers.
The shooting victim's mother said he works at Solid, a Victoria-based organization that provides support for drug users.
She claimed the man believed to have shot her son previously attacked him with pepper spray at the same house approximately 10 days earlier.

https://news.google....l=CA&ceid=CA:en

I dont know but when they start shooting people, I don’t care that it was not random, I still think there is danger to other residents who may just be at the wrong place at the wrong time...

#11386 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 10:59 AM

Bay Street Shooting Investigation Continues

Victoria, BC- VicPD officers are continuing our investigation into a daytime shooting outside a Fernwood residence on Tuesday.

Multiple officers responded to the area of the 1500-block of Bay Street just after 12:45 p.m. on Tuesday, August 6th, for a report that a man had been shot outside a residence. Officers arrived and a man was transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. 

Officers responded to the area and searched for suspects and evidence. Bay Street was closed to traffic between Forbes and Victor streets for several hours.

This file remains under investigation by investigators. There have not been any arrests made at this time.

Investigators do not believe that this was a random event. There is no indication of a danger to residents in the area the incident took place.

This file is in the early stages of the investigation.  We will continue to share more information as we are able to.

Know it all.

#11387 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:02 AM

Victoria police responded to a concerning case of two masked muggers Thursday night.

The report came from a man who met police at Richmond and Bay streets after he fled the attempted robbery.

According to a Facebook post by a close contact of the victim, he was approached by two youths wearing handkerchiefs over their faces in Kings Park, the unofficial name for the former BC Hydro land that Saanich recently purchased between Kings and Haultain streets, and which connects via a pathway to the Royal Jubilee Hospital.

The two youths allegedly asked him for money. When he refused, they accosted him demanding money.

https://www.vicnews....-in-kings-park/

#11388 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 09:57 AM

Hubby was at the Cascadia liquor store in Quadra village yesterday. While he was waiting to pay at the cash, some guy with beard and hoodie walked out of the store with unpaid bottle in hand very visible. The cashier just called him out and he said “forgot I had this” gave the bottle back. Staff took the bottle back and and let him go. So theft is a zero risk game. If you get caught you just hand it back and move on to another store, otherwise you get your free booze.

#11389 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

Hubby was at the Cascadia liquor store in Quadra village yesterday. While he was waiting to pay at the cash, some guy with beard and hoodie walked out of the store with unpaid bottle in hand very visible. The cashier just called him out and he said “forgot I had this” gave the bottle back. Staff took the bottle back and and let him go. So theft is a zero risk game. If you get caught you just hand it back and move on to another store, otherwise you get your free booze.

After $77M worth of booze stolen in 1 year, LCBO union demands Ontario copy Manitoba's crackdown plan

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-lcbo-1.5069842

But over the last year, the veteran LCBO employee says alcohol theft in Ontario has become rampant as thieves have started to stuff duffle bags with bottles of Grey Goose and threaten employees with weapons consistently.

"There has been a brazen amount of theft going on," Davis told CBC Toronto. "This is the worst that I've ever seen."

LCBO staff are trained not to intervene when a thief takes off with products.

#11390 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

I am surprised that he gave the bottle back. The cops aren't going to respond to a simple shoplifting.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#11391 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:15 AM

So when I get tired of paying ridiculous prices for booze, I can just bring their average down by helping myself to some free booze every once in a while then? Probably should, Otherwise not only am I paying high prices due to ridiculous taxes added on, but I pay extra to cover other people’s free booze...how long until even more people take “advantage” of this policing approach?

#11392 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:22 AM

So when I get tired of paying ridiculous prices for booze, I can just bring their average down by helping myself to some free booze every once in a while then? Probably should, Otherwise not only am I paying high prices due to ridiculous taxes added on, but I pay extra to cover other people’s free booze...how long until even more people take “advantage” of this policing approach?

well it seems in ontario where the government has a lock on the market they accept $77 million in shoplifter theft per year.  here it might be less before your local liquor store sells only over counter.  "why we can't have nice things" etc.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 August 2019 - 11:23 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#11393 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 01:50 PM

Barricaded Man Arrested

Victoria, BC- A Victoria man is facing charges after a prolonged barricade.

Officers were called to the 1100-block of Yates Street just after 10p.m. for a report of an unknown man inside a suite in a multi-unit residential building. The man, who was not known to the property owners, was allegedly causing extensive damage to the suite.

Patrol officers and the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT), including Crisis Negotiators, responded. The man refused to exit the suite and negotiations were undertaken to resolve the incident peaceably.

Due to the nature of the incident officers were required to use a portable public address system to communicate with the man, despite the late hour. Officers worked to minimize the disturbance to nearby residents.

Officers obtained a warrant and the man was taken into custody several hours later.

There were no injuries.

The incident remains under investigation. The man was held for telebail and faces charges including mischief. He is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Know it all.

#11394 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:29 AM

those two surrey guys are still missing.

https://vancouversun...y-men-continues

#11395 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 10:37 AM

Break and enter suspect caught

On August 10th 2019, at 2:20 am the West Shore RCMP received a complaint from a witness who advised they could hear smashing and glass breaking taking place at the Modeste Smoke Shop located at 1145 Admirals Rd in Songhees Nation. The witness also provided the description of the suspect seen running away from that location.

West Shore RCMP frontline officers along with the Police Dog Services unit attended and confirmed the shop had been broken into and items were stolen from inside. The officers began patrolling the area looking for the suspect. One of our officers noticed a male matching the suspect description walking along the E&N Rail Trail near Maple Bank Rd and Admirals Rd. The male suspect was arrested within half an hour of police attending the call. Police also recovered stolen items from the shop on the male at the time of his arrest. We want to thank the member of the public who acted quickly and called police to report the business was being broken into, said Cst. Nancy SAGGAR, Media Relations Officer for the West Shore RCMP.

The male suspect is now bound by conditions and will appear in court at a later date.

Know it all.

#11396 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:25 AM

Action-packed morning follows busy week for Oak Bay police
Times-Colonist
August 12, 2019

Oak Bay isn’t always as quiet as people think it is...

"...we’re trying to maintain the "Nothing ever happens in #OakBay image,"

"The reason I put my tweet is out our officers sometimes get a bit annoyed that everyone suggests that there’s nothing to do in Oak Bay."

I don't want to be a stinker but methinks this effort would be cuter if two of the most appalling multiple murder incidents in Victoria's history hadn't happened in Oak Bay, and very recently as well. Not to mention the machete attack inside a Willows Beach home.

The 1976 news story that I referenced in another thread was much more direct and realistic about crime in Oak Bay.

In other crime news, the following two incidents happened in the same neighbourhood a couple of days apart:

Oak Bay police investigate report of attempted robbery in Carnarvon Park
Times-Colonist
August 12, 2019

Oak Bay police are investigating a report of an attempted robbery in Carnarvon Park about 1 a.m. Aug. 9, when three females were approached by two males who had dark-coloured hoodies covering their lower faces.

Man flees masked muggers in Kings Park
Victoria News
August 9, 2019

...he was approached by two youths wearing handkerchiefs over their faces in Kings Park, the unofficial name for the former BC Hydro land that Saanich recently purchased between Kings and Haultain streets.

#11397 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

hoodies over lower face? also why hanging out in a park at 1am?

#11398 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:59 PM

In other crime news, the following two incidents happened in the same neighbourhood a couple of days apart:

One neighbourhood, three municipal jurisdictions!

#11399 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

🚔 Loaded Handgun, $25,000, Cocaine, Methamphetamine and Fentanyl Seized In Arrest🚔

Victoria, BC- A Victoria man is facing multiple charges after VicPD officers seized a loaded handgun, $25,000 in cash, and significant amounts of cocaine, methamphetamine and fentanyl during an arrest on July 4th, 2019.

Officers with VicPD’s Strike Force section and a Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT) officer deployed with our Patrol Division took the man into custody in the 200-block of Gorge Road East following a several weeks’ long investigation. While searching the man incident to arrest officers discovered the cash, drugs and a loaded 9mm caliber pistol, along with two loaded pistol magazines and additional ammunition. These items were seized. No one was injured.

The man has alleged links to organized crime, having self-identified to officers as a member of the Nortenos gang.

Roy Pelgrom faces seven charges including those for possession for the purpose of trafficking, possession of a firearm without a license, possession of a loaded prohibited weapon, and careless storage of a firearm. He is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Know it all.

#11400 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

🚔 Loaded Handgun, $25,000, Cocaine, Methamphetamine and Fentanyl Seized In Arrest🚔

Victoria, BC- A Victoria man is facing multiple charges after VicPD officers seized a loaded handgun, $25,000 in cash, and significant amounts of cocaine, methamphetamine and fentanyl during an arrest on July 4th, 2019.

Officers with VicPD’s Strike Force section and a Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team (GVERT) officer deployed with our Patrol Division took the man into custody in the 200-block of Gorge Road East following a several weeks’ long investigation. While searching the man incident to arrest officers discovered the cash, drugs and a loaded 9mm caliber pistol, along with two loaded pistol magazines and additional ammunition. These items were seized. No one was injured.

The man has alleged links to organized crime, having self-identified to officers as a member of the Nortenos gang.

Roy Pelgrom faces seven charges including those for possession for the purpose of trafficking, possession of a firearm without a license, possession of a loaded prohibited weapon, and careless storage of a firearm. He is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

This is a perfect example of why Ben and his disciples are right about the urgent need to reduce the police force. If VicPD were able to do more of this, it could start to have a negative impact on the street drug trade, we could end up with less people falling prey to addiction, etc, etc. Thank god Ben and his team are doing their bit to stop this happening.
#Ben2022
  • martini and SimonH like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users