The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21430 replies to this topic

#14321 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:21 PM

OMG.  I don't know who in their right mind would allow a loved one to work for the Police given the woke trying to kill them through ignorance.  

I would say that the best thing for UVIC political distortion is for VicPD to call in sick for a week but that wouldn't be good for anyone.  I don't know what to suggest to fix this.

I do. City council can tell people in favour of defunding to keep a percentage of their property taxes on the condition their home gets put on a VCP no response list under crimes being committed. They'll stop people up to their property line but after that it's a no go zone.

I'm sure they'll be happy to know their taxes will help the mentally ill, the homeless, and those with drug dealing issues.

Win win for all. :thumbsup:

Edited by FawltyVic, 22 February 2021 - 09:23 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#14322 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:42 PM

Interesting cold case from Vancouver (1991) - the victim is a former Victoria resident, Wanda Watson:

https://dailyhive.co...ouver?auto=true

I have a lot of respect for Eve Lazarus and the work she does. I did it for a time and it's good and bad rolled up into one. It's some BS, plenty or red tape and a great big heap of sleep deprivation. And sadly there are people who volunteer or take it upon themselves to bring these cases to the forefront whom either have serious issues or want to be the next John Walsh.

But overall there are many good people who do what they do for various reasons. I've known people who had families and wanted to make their world a better place or were related to the victims who were missing or murdered with no killer brought to justice.

Edited by FawltyVic, 22 February 2021 - 10:00 PM.

#14323 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:45 PM

I'm sorry, am I getting my facts wrong or does Ian Holmes consider 15-year old girls young women?

"A Nanaimo man will spend close to two more years in a Saskatchewan jail after pleading guilty to procuring a 15-year-old girl for sexual ­purposes.

Four Vancouver Islanders — Seyed Kamran Miralinaghi, his twin brother Seyed Kourosh Miralinaghi, his mother Shermineh Sheri Ziaee and Shawn Alexander Kelly — were arrested by Swift Current RCMP on Jan. 27 and charged with trafficking two young girls."

https://www.timescol...oses-1.24229410

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd call a 15 year old a young woman.  'Girl' seems more child-like, so below 12 or so?

Either way, one hopes that the judge will see a pattern in Miralinaghi's behaviour, and sentence him toward the upper range of penalties..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#14324 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 09:59 PM

Perhaps it's just me, but I'd call a 15 year old a young woman.  'Girl' seems more child-like, so below 12 or so?

Either way, one hopes that the judge will see a pattern in Miralinaghi's behaviour, and sentence him toward the upper range of penalties..

Perhaps it's left to perspective. a 15-year old is a girl to me. If I wrote the article I would use the words "underage girls" rather than "young women".

#14325 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:03 PM

The term "underage girl" defines a woman by her status as a potential sex object.

• Brayvehart likes this

#14326 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:42 PM

The term "underage girl" defines a woman by her status as a potential sex object.

It's fact. They were going to be/were used as sex objects (I only vaguely remember the story now). They were underage by law.

If I were to write the article, I would get a lot more people wanting to write to their local MP using that term in an article instead of young women. The words young women makes think of females in their late teens to 20's range. I am sure I'm not alone in that thought. Until the day I die I'll use the term girls or kids, teenagers etc.

I'm too old to change my ways and too old to care. :)

Edited by FawltyVic, 22 February 2021 - 11:05 PM.

#14327 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 10:53 PM

RCMP report suggests police use of less-lethal weapons is on the rise across Canada

February 22, 2021

The police use of less-lethal weapons is on the rise across Canada, according to a report from the RCMP.

A less-lethal ARWEN weapon was used on Saturday by Victoria Police, who were apprehending a man who had allegedly just robbed a nearby pharmacy after telling the staff that he had a gun.

ARWEN.png

More & Video: https://www.cheknews...-canada-746090/

#14328 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 11:03 PM

RCMP report suggests police use of less-lethal weapons is on the rise across Canada

February 22, 2021

The police use of less-lethal weapons is on the rise across Canada, according to a report from the RCMP.

A less-lethal ARWEN weapon was used on Saturday by Victoria Police, who were apprehending a man who had allegedly just robbed a nearby pharmacy after telling the staff that he had a gun.

attachicon.gif ARWEN.png

More & Video: https://www.cheknews...-canada-746090/

Love how CHEK said the reaction was "Mixed" but then said "While there are some negative comments, most are commending the actions taken by the police department."

Oh CHEK 6. :whyme:

It'll be interesting how much this incident will be used as firepower against VCP and police in general.

Edited by FawltyVic, 22 February 2021 - 11:15 PM.

#14329 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:50 AM

Now CHEK is doubling down, I guess. This is the sort of reporting that erodes sympathy for the media. Creating the news, if you will.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14330 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:50 AM

Dear Suspect
On the day that these pictures of you were captures by BC Transit security cameras, you decided that you’d randomly kick another passenger on the bus.

While the victim isn’t sure why you kicked them, we are sure that someone will know your name and they will tell us who you are.

Seen you soon.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers

If you know who this suspect is and you want to tell us his name anonymously, please click the ‘Contact Us’ button above or call 1-800-222-8477. You may also visit www.victoriacrimestoppers.ca to submit a tip online.

SA #21-1505

154086247_3626231130763991_5543867838883 154157400_3626231324097305_3753144616187 152632474_3626231467430624_3782693841950

#14331 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:18 PM

Ancestral human remains discovered at Saanich construction site

Remains show cause of death likely not natural

After examining the find, officers determined the people or person likely died from something other than natural causes.

?   :confused: 

https://www.vicnews....struction-site/

csi-miami-caruso.jpg?w=1024&h=576&crop=1

that's a hell of a cold case.  it's quite impressive work by saanich police to figure out it was murder (or suicide i guess).  in less than 24 hours.  or a canoe crash i guess.

maybe put those guys on the lindsay buziak case.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2021 - 02:26 PM.

• SimonH likes this

#14332 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:21 PM

I wonder if they do DNA tests or the assumption is that any remains found are FN. 

#14333 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:42 PM

Just another day.

Victoria, BC – A man was taken into custody by Patrol officers today after a City of Victoria Bylaw vehicle was damaged.

Patrol officers were called to Beacon Hill Park after City of Victoria Bylaw officers called 911 to report that a man had smashed their truck window with a sledgehammer. The suspect then fled into the park on bicycle before Patrol officers arrived.

Patrol officers located and arrested the man nearby a short time later without incident. He was released with a court date.

There were no physical injuries.

This incident is still under investigation. If you have information about this incident and have not spoken to officers, please call our Report Desk and (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14334 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:01 PM

And to think Ben Isitt condones this sort of behavior.  

• Nparker and mbjj like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#14335 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:02 PM

Why weren't social workers sent to this incident rather than police? Surely they know how to handle sledgehammer wielding maniacs just as well as any officer of the law.

• sebberry, mbjj, kitty surprise and 2 others like this

#14336 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:59 PM

Police investigate attempted robbery

2021-02-23 - File #2021-3287

The West Shore RCMP is currently investigating a report of an attempted robbery that took place on Feb 21st, 2021 at approximately 2:30 a.m.

Police learned a man was approached by two suspects while walking along the East side of Veterans Memorial Parkway between Percy Pl. and Larkhall Rd. One of the suspects brandished a handgun and demanded the victim give them cash. When the victim advised they did not have any cash, the suspects both left on foot walking toward the Chevron Gas Station. The victim was not injured.

Suspect 1 described as:

* Caucasian male;
    * early 20’s;
    * approx 5’8to 5’10 tall;
    * blue eyes;
    * wearing a face mask
    * had a tattoo under right eye that appeared to continue from below the eye and onto the neck. Tattoo was described as having sharp edges and lines, possibly a
 tribal style tattoo.

Suspect 2 described as:

* Caucasian male;
    * early 20's;
    * approx. 5'8" to 5'10" tall;
    * wearing a black hoodie, blue jeans, black medical mask, and black sneakers.

We are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying these suspects. If you live in the area or were driving by and have dash camera/home surveillance, please check it between the hours of 2:00-3:00 a.m. on Feb 21st. If you think you captured the suspects on your surveillance or know who they could be, please call the West Shore RCMP at 250-474-2264.

You can always report anonymously through Crime Stoppers online or by calling 1-800-222-8477. We have had no similar reports of this nature. This incident was not immediately reported to police and we would like to remind the public to report criminal and suspicious activity right away, said Cst. Nancy Saggar, West Shore RCMP Media Relations Officer.

Released by

Cst. Nancy Saggar
Media Relations Officer
West Shore RCMP

#14337 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:13 PM

...Feb 21st, 2021...

Mixing ordinal and cardinal numbers when writing dates is a major pet peeve of mine.

When referring to a specific date in the month-day date format, use cardinal numbers (one, two, three) rather than ordinal numbers (first, second, third). This may feel counterintuitive because we normally use ordinal numbers when we “speak” of dates. For example, one would say January first two thousand seventeen but write January 1, 2017. Many people get confused about how to write dates with commas, so here is a rule of thumb: in the month-day-year format (used in the United States), place commas after the day and year...

Incorrect:  On May 13th, 2007 Daniel was born.

Correct: On May 13, 2007, Daniel was born

https://www.grammarl...speak” of dates.

• Greg likes this

#14338 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:19 PM

Gabriola man who struck, killed beloved firefighter gets two-year sentence

February 23, 2021

A 49-year-old Gabriola Island man has been sentenced for dangerous driving causing the death of a beloved firefighter.

goosman.png
William Goosman pleaded guilty at the Nanaimo courthouse in December in the fatal crash that killed 58-year-old Jay Dearman.

“The impact on the family I can’t describe. It’s beyond description. It’s horrible,” said Suzanne Dearman, Jay Dearman’s widow.

At 8:15 a.m. on Jan. 24, 2018, witnesses saw a van speeding through a school zone and weaving across Berry Point Road.

It went across the road and struck Dearman, who was jogging with his running group.

His wife of 38 years, Suzanne, was also part of the group and arrived at the scene soon after. In her victim impact statement, she said she’s suffered from flashbacks of seeing her husband’s body on the road.

“We had a beautiful family and when we moved to Gabriola in 2008, that’s when he started to live his dream that he always wanted to be a firefighter and a first responder,” said Suzanne.

The court also heard Goosman suffers from chronic stomach pain following the removal of a non-cancerous tumour years ago. He was prescribed pain medication which led him to take street drugs. The morning of the dangerous driving and crash his blood-alcohol level was well below the legal limit, but he says he was on prescribed medication.

“[He was on] a recent suboxone prescription that apparently did not fare well. He says he has no recollection of the driving or even of the collision,” said Michael Ritzker, Goosman’s lawyer.

lawyer.png

Goosman, who had no previous record, addressed the court Tuesday, saying: “I want to apologize for what happened. I feel absolutely horrible about it and I want to do whatever I can to make up for it.”

The judge followed the joint submission and sentenced Goosman to two years-less-a-day in jail followed by 18 months probation.

“Nothing is going to make a difference as far as Jay goes. It won’t bring him back, but if Goosman can get help that’s the only good that can come of this,” Suzanne said.

Once released from jail, Goosman will also be subject to a five-year driving prohibition.

#14339 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:40 PM

Gabriola man who struck, killed beloved firefighter gets two-year sentence

Headlines like this always seem a bit strange to me. Would the incident have been less tragic if the community had been indifferent to the deceased firefighter or if he'd had no family to mourn his passing? Would Goosman's sentence have been different?

#14340 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:34 PM

Just another day.

Victoria, BC – A man was taken into custody by Patrol officers today after a City of Victoria Bylaw vehicle was damaged.

Patrol officers were called to Beacon Hill Park after City of Victoria Bylaw officers called 911 to report that a man had smashed their truck window with a sledgehammer. The suspect then fled into the park on bicycle before Patrol officers arrived.

Patrol officers located and arrested the man nearby a short time later without incident. He was released with a court date.

There were no physical injuries.

This incident is still under investigation. If you have information about this incident and have not spoken to officers, please call our Report Desk and (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

"...smashed their truck window with a sledgehammer... then fled into the park on bicycle before Patrol officers arrived..." That is *so* Victoria 2021.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)