Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21591 replies to this topic

#14361 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 07:45 PM

Not sure where this post belongs, but saw a post in a FB group talking about bike activity in the warming tent tonight.
Is this tent monitored at all?

Edited by martini, 27 February 2021 - 07:56 PM.

#14362 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 08:52 PM

Not sure where this post belongs, but saw a post in a FB group talking about bike activity in the warming tent tonight.
Is this tent monitored at all?

Only during council meetings.
  • Nparker, martini, Love the rock and 3 others like this

#14363 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:15 PM

What's to monitor? Make sure derailleurs are properly adjusted?

#14364 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:31 PM

What's to monitor? Make sure derailleurs are properly adjusted?

I was referring to criminal activity.
What is the criteria for this tent?
It must be maintained somehow? Supplies?

#14365 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 10:49 PM

If you're wanting the volunteers to check and run bicycle serial numbers I don't foresee that being too popular amongst the guests.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#14366 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 06:55 AM

If you're wanting the volunteers to check and run bicycle serial numbers I don't foresee that being too popular amongst the guests.

Not at all what I was suggesting.
It was the activity witnessed.
I guess it's a warming/bike repair tent then. Moving along. Nothing to see here.

#14367 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:23 AM

I know I'm being a jerk but there's not much practically that can be done about it. It's infuriating to watch a bike you know is stolen being dismantled but the people manning these tents are not in the position to help us.

• martini likes this

#14368 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 08:34 AM

...the people manning these tents are not in the position to help us.

If the people staffing the tents really cared about our community, they would contact the police about the illegal activity they witness. If they see it and allow it to happen unhindered they are just another part of the problem.

• LJ, martini and A Girl is No one like this

#14369 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

But how do you think that would play out in a practical sense? It won't work the way you or I want. The volunteers are not positioning themselves as any type of judge or authority figure.

#14370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,067 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:03 AM

yes.  i'm not so sure either.

also i read somewhere that VicPD is ending their bike registration program.  or at least turning it over to some type of private sector scheme.

HERE > > https://project529.com/garage

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2021 - 09:15 AM.

#14371 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:06 AM

Yes, they're turning it over to the 529 Garage app which is a better idea all around. But the cops do take note of stolen bikes and will keep an eye out when patrolling the usual hot spots. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#14372 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:08 AM

But how do you think that would play out in a practical sense? It won't work the way you or I want...

Of course it won't play out that way. The tent volunteers are as much a part of a problem as the thieves operating under the guise of being homeless. That was sort of my point.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14373 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 03:56 PM

I know I'm being a jerk but there's not much practically that can be done about it. It's infuriating to watch a bike you know is stolen being dismantled but the people manning these tents are not in the position to help us.

Hey I’ve got a great idea to stop bikes being stolen in the downtown area .

It will put bike thieves out of business.

Ban all bikes from the downtown area . 
Too much temptation for poor homeless thieves.
 Ok sarcastic  button pushed today .

#14374 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

Some fake police badges going around in Oak Bay:
B53EAB43-4AD0-4F95-88E4-A4B9F6BC3943.jpeg
http://oakbaypolice....22-feb-28-2021/

Edited by todd, 01 March 2021 - 01:20 PM.

#14375 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 March 2021 - 01:28 PM

Is that... a bike reflector? :D  

Easier to copy a badge than a news release from the OBPD website.

• pontcanna and todd like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#14376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 02:24 PM

Newfoundland man comes at off-duty cop with a pipe.

One Arrested After Confronting Off-Duty Officer With Metal Pipe

Date: Monday, March 1, 2021

File: 21-7948

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man on Sunday morning after he confronted an off-duty VicPD officer with a metal pipe.

At approximately 5 a.m. on Sunday, February 28th, an off-duty VicPD officer was walking near the Victoria Police Department headquarters at 850 Caledonia Avenue. The off-duty officer was approached by an unknown man who drew a metal pipe and advanced on the officer. The officer was able to secure himself safely inside a vehicle before additional officers attended the scene.

Patrol officers attended and arrested the suspect who was armed with a metal pipe. No one was injured in the incident.

The suspect was transported to cells at VicPD where he was later released with a court date and conditions.

The suspect, a Newfoundland man, will face recommended charges of assault with a weapon.

This incident is still under investigation. If you have information about this incident and have not spoken to officers, please call our Report Desk and (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14377 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:19 PM

Is that... a bike reflector? :D  

Easier to copy a badge than a news release from the OBPD website.

Not a problem for a special agent.
  • Matt R. likes this

#14378 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:40 PM

^^ This wanker seems to fit the “Newfie” image.

I’m sorry but I am getting tired of reading about this kind of crap.

Really? 5:00 AM on a Sunday morning and he is swinging a pipe around at people and he gets released ?
  • martini and A Girl is No one like this

#14379 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:42 PM

^To be fair, that's 9:30 am NL time.

• Matt R., pontcanna, Greg and 2 others like this

#14380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:59 PM

One Arrested After Gasoline Poured On Tent, Occupants Threatened

Victoria, BC – Patrol officers arrested a man and are seeking additional witnesses after a suspect poured gasoline on an occupied tent in Cecelia Ravine Park and threatened to set it on fire this morning.

At 8:30 a.m. this morning Patrol officers were called to Cecelia Ravine Park in the 400-block of Burnside Road for a report that a man had poured gasoline on an occupied tent and threatened to light it on fire while holding a blow torch. The tent was occupied by a woman and her dog at the time of the incident.

Patrol officers attended and located the suspect in Cecelia Ravine Park. Officers arrested the man for assault with a weapon, mischief, and uttering threats. No one was injured. The suspect was transported to cells at VicPD where he was held to await court.

This incident is believed to be related to a report earlier this morning, at approximately 6:30 a.m., when officers were called to the same area of the park for a report that a man was struck by a bat with spikes on it. Officers attended to that incident and arrested a man for assault with a weapon, who was transported to cells and released with a court date and conditions. The victim was transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, cleared medically, and then returned to the park where he is believed to have become the suspect in the second incident.

This incident is still under investigation. If you have information about this incident and have not spoken to officers, please call our Report Desk and (250) 995-7654, extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users