Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21566 replies to this topic

#16341 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:09 PM

From the story about the dog-walking police officer. On Chek news they showed that the city or CRD has a dog pound over in that area. I think she was walking a dog from there. 

• pennymurphy2000 and Victoria Watcher like this

#16342 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 02:17 PM

Police Investigating After Sexual Assault on Trail

Date: September 17, 2021 - File: #21-20335

The Saanich Police Department is investigating a sexual assault that occurred on the Lochside Trail on September 6, 2021.

A woman was walking on the north on the trail near Swan Street between 7:30 and 8:00 p.m. on Monday, September 6, when the suspect approached from behind and committed a sexual assault. He was last seen walking north on the trail toward Saanich Road.

Officers have been searching the area since the offence, including another report of him on the trail near Darwin Avenue, however, we've been unable to locate him.

He is described as a Caucasian man, 5’6” tall, 30-40 years old, stocky build, sandy-coloured long beard, light coloured toque, pink shirt, blue jeans, carrying both a black backpack and black duffle bag. It is believed that suspect uses the Lochside and Galloping Goose Trail network.

Anyone with information is asked to please contact the Saanich Police Department at 250-475-4321. You can also report anonymously through the Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#16343 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:54 AM

Today's T-C:

raeside.png

• Nparker, Sparky, Midnightly and 4 others like this

#16344 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:15 PM

Five Arrested After Chief Manak Assaulted At Chantel Moore Memorial

Date: Saturday, September 18th, 2021 - File: #21-38259

Victoria, BC – Five people have been arrested after Chief Manak was assaulted at a memorial event at the B.C. Legislature today.

Just after 2 p.m. a female approached Chief Manak from behind while he was attending a memorial event honouring Chantel Moore at the B.C. Legislature. The woman assaulted Chief Manak after a blanketing ceremony by pouring a liquid on him. She then moved away from the area. Chief Manak, who was attending the memorial at the invitation of Chantel Moore’s mother, was not physically harmed. The assault was captured on video.

Officers in the area then approached the suspect. At that time a group surrounded the suspect and then surrounded officers. Five people were taken into custody.

Those who were involved are not believed to have been involved in organizing the Chantel Moore memorial event.

There were no injuries.

This file is still under investigation. If you have information about this incident and have not yet spoken with officers, please call our Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1.

#16345 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 06:12 PM

At a memorial service...despicable. 

• JimV likes this

#16346 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 07:33 PM

Innocent folks (including old ladies and children) get violently assaulted in Victoria every single day.

Manak is just another downtown Victoria stat ... and tomorrow it will be somebody else.

Such is Victoria in 2021.

• A Girl is No one, Barrrister, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#16347 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Adam Stirling tweets with photos: 

Yesterday’s assault on  @ChiefManak was planned in advance. They even had the Beacon-Hill-Park-Is-Safe Internet smear machine ready to go to cast aspersions on @vicpdcanada in the immediate aftermath. We’re being played. All of us. #elxn44 #bcpoli #yyj  https://twitter.com/...597381008326658

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this
:)

#16348 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,956 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:08 AM

I am not being played. he should speak for himself.

some liquid on a cop - the chief - is not a big deal. last night in greater Victoria dozens of people were really assaulted. that’s more real.

At least Jamie Graham was tough. Manak says today he is “still processing” it. grow some balls.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2021 - 11:09 AM.

• A Girl is No one and Spy Black like this

#16349 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 11:19 AM

Manak says today he is “still processing” it. grow some balls.

No kidding!

This is almost unbelievable, in the past month we've had a vicious assault on a child, and another on an old lady, and numerous more assaults (and murders) perpetrated on "regular" folks ... Manak gets a bit of water on him and suddenly it's a huge press story, with folks worrying about his mental and physical well being?

What a load.

Honestly, I could not care about the Manak water incident any less than I do ... but I will continue to care deeply about the city I was born in 64 years ago turning into a lawless sewer ... a "murder city" created and supported by Mayor and Council.

VicPD needs to get out there and start cracking some heads all over town ... at least if these pink haired losers, thieves, drug addicts and well heeled "street people" don't respect the VicPD ... they can certainly learn to fear them.

• Lorenzo likes this

#16350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 12:12 PM

Until you know it’s water, it could be anything.

I’d be shaken up. So would any of you.
  • Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and JimV like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16351 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:03 PM

While I am no particular fan of Chief Manak, he, like all of us, deserves to feel safe when out in public, especially in attendance at a memorial. That so many choose to blame the victim just goes to show how far we have fallen as a society and how the powers that be simply accept the degradation of our community as no big deal.  :(

• pontcanna, pennymurphy2000, kitty surprise and 4 others like this

#16352 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,956 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:10 PM

nobody blamed the victim.

some of us thought the crime paled though in comparison to the dozens of people that were assaulted with actual harm coming to them this past weekend.

guy gets benign liquid spilled on him - 5 immediate arrests.

statute is torn down by angry mob on the one day of the year the police have both cameras and a huge presence at the harbour. no arrests 2 months later.

no wonder people are emboldened.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2021 - 01:11 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16353 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:22 PM

Having lived downtown during the "eventful" VicPD reigns of Paul, Jamie and Frank - I'm just fine with Del.

#16354 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:35 PM

nobody blamed the victim....

Suggesting Chief Manak needs to "grow some balls" is victim blaming. He has every right to be upset with what happened to him. His assault is no more nor any less concerning than any others that have happened recently. The CoV clearly has a crime problem, but neither the blame nor the solution should rest entirely on the shoulders of the VicPD. Many others have had a hand in creating the mess we see today, especially local, provincial and federal lawmakers.

• Midnightly and pennymurphy2000 like this

#16355 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,956 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:40 PM

no blame whatsoever. but I think he should shake it off, say I’m a grown man and a career cop, some liquid won’t hurt me. but we are still going to go after those responsible. so it doesn’t happen again to an individual with lesser fortitude.

cops need to be tough if they are to command respect. with a bit of fear. there is zero indication that “compassionate” community policing reduces crime anywhere.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 September 2021 - 01:45 PM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#16356 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 01:51 PM

...cops need to be tough if they are to command respect. with a bit of fear. there is zero indication that “compassionate” community policing reduces crime anywhere.

They also need to appear to be human to earn respect. I have compassion for victims of crime. This is entirely separate from "compassionate policing" policies.

#16357 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:19 PM

also consider at the time the incident happened they did not know the liquid was water, it could have been any form of liquid.. i think we need to take out the context that in the end it was "just water" and consider the current state of the city and the hate for the police, tie that into a random unknown hot liquid being thrown directed at a person.. it is not something to be taken lightly

• Nparker, Love the rock and mbjj like this

#16358 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:23 PM

Apparently it was iced tea. And all 5 arrested were young natives. This prompted a FTP protest in front of the police station demanding the release of indigenous youth…

#16359 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,722 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:52 PM

...This prompted a FTP protest in front of the police station demanding the release of indigenous youth…

A File Transfer Protocol protest?

• Matt R. likes this

#16360 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,956 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:55 PM

Apparently it was iced tea. And all 5 arrested were young natives. This prompted a FTP protest in front of the police station demanding the release of indigenous youth…

No media covered this?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users