Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21580 replies to this topic

#17161 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:14 AM

Man sentenced to four years after stabbing pizza-restaurant employee during robbery

Worker attacked while trying to stop robbery

A Victoria man has been sentenced to four years in prison after stabbing a Panago Pizza employee during a failed robbery attempt last month.

Blaine20Isherwood-1.jpg
Photo 2016

Blaine Christopher Isherwood, 27, pleaded guilty to the aggravated assault of the employee at the Vancouver Street restaurant, which occurred around noon on Dec. 6, 2021.

Provincial court Judge Mayland McKimm accepted the joint submission from Crown and defence and imposed the four-year sentence, but said “it is most assuredly at the very bottom end of the range I would impose.”

Court heard that two men were preparing dough at the back of Panago Pizza when Isherwood walked by carrying an umbrella. Surveillance footage showed Isherwood glanced in, then took another look and saw that no one was behind the cash register. He placed the umbrella on the ground, walked to the register, took $100 cash out and started to walk out.

The two men working in the store began to chase him. One grabbed his backpack. The other grabbed his arm and shoulder.

Isherwood told them to let him go, then took out a knife that looked like a combat knife, said prosecutor Hayden Shook. One employee told him to put down the knife, but he didn’t. He stabbed the other man in the bicep, causing serious injury, and ran off.

He was arrested the next day in the 900-block of Pandora Avenue.

Isherwood has three previous convictions for robberies where he used a knife. 

“In my view, the starting point for the sentence should have been six years,” said the judge.

#17162 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 05:41 AM

One month ago.  Shows you how quick a conviction can happen when one pleads guilty.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#17163 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 07:06 AM

Finally we got ONE off the streets. Was that so hard? And why did the judge only give 4 years if he felt it should have been longer?

#17164 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 19 January 2022 - 07:11 AM

Almost certainly a joint submission by both sides.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#17165 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 05:56 AM

Witness tells dangerous-driving trial she saw SUV veer across road

Times Colonist - 20 Jan 2022

Lorraine Murphy looked up when she heard her son say: “What’s that idiot doing in the middle of the road?”

It was late August 2018 and Murphy was in the front passenger seat of a car driven by her son, the Crown witness testified Wednesday at Anthony Thomas ’s judge-alone trial in B.C. Supreme Court.

Thomas has pleaded not guilty to impaired driving and dangerous driving causing the death of Kim Ward on Aug. 27, 2018 and impaired driving and dangerous driving causing bodily harm to her sister, Tracy Ward.

“I didn’t see him right in the centre of the road. I saw him veering across the centre line and onto the shoulder of the opposite side of the road, and then kind of going parallel to the road on the boulevard, on the shoulder of the road,” said Murphy, who testified by video from her home in Ontario.

“I saw a person lying in the middle of the road and I saw this red SUV that had come to a stop at the other side of the road with the passenger door open and it looked like another person on the ground behind that vehicle.”

People were coming toward the scene and gathering on the other side of the road, she said. “And somebody was bent over what looked like a person at the rear end of the red vehicle.”

#17166 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 09:25 AM

CF8F553D-95C9-4DB4-A3DE-7F5A890F3AD5.jpeg

#17167 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 12:36 PM

And this....

Attached Images

• Golloping_Goose.jpg

• todd likes this

#17168 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:58 PM

-Already in custody on firearms/unlawful confinement/uttering threats charges. Photo is of Teddy Christopher Jedrasik in 2016, from Toronto Police Service.

3hET_Catch22TeddyJedrasik_1004___Gallery

Search warrants result in multiple charges for Duncan man

North Cowichan/Duncan

2022-01-19 - File #2021-15553

On October 3rd 2021 at 11:30 pm, North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP frontline officers responded to multiple reports of a vehicle vs vehicle shooting near the intersection of Trunk Road and Canada Avenue, in Duncan BC. Additional police resource assisted with this investigation, including the Street Crimes Unit, General Investigation Section and the Nanaimo Forensic Section. The investigators determined that the shooting was an isolated incident and was related to drug activity in the Duncan area.

During the course of the investigation search warrants were obtained and executed on two vehicles, a residence, and a storage locker. These search warrants resulted in the seizure of a considerable quantity of cocaine, crack cocaine, methamphetamine, MDA, fentanyl, and several hundred prescription pills. On December 31 2021, 34 year old Duncan resident, Teddy Jedrasik was charged with five counts of possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking. Jedrasik remains in custody on unrelated matters, however this investigation is ongoing.

We don’t expect to have shooting incidents like this in our community and thank goodness it rarely happens, but we have a strong team of police officers who have the knowledge, skill sets and determination to conduct these investigations thoroughly and professionally. I’m proud of the work our officers did on this investigation, said Staff Sergeant Aaron Jabs, North Cowichan/Duncan RCMP Plain Clothes Commander.

Released by

Cpl. Cari Lougheed
Media Relations Officer
North Cowichan/Duncan Detachment

#17169 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:51 PM

Suspect sought after coffee tossing incident

2022-01-21 - File #2022-664

West Shore RCMP is seeking the help from the public in identifying an individual who allegedly threw a cup of coffee at a Tim Hortons employee.

coffee1.png

The incident stemmed from a prior incident on January 12 when the suspect was further denied service at Tim Hortons, located at 845 Goldstream Ave in Langford, for refusing to wear a mask and also for being belligerent with staff.

coffee2.png

On January 13, 2022, the same suspect returned inside the Tim Hortons with a cup of coffee that was previously purchased via the drive-thru. When the employee advised the suspect he was denied service based on his previous incident, the suspect then allegedly threw a cup of coffee at the employee before leaving the store.

Luckily, the staff member did not sustain any physical injuries states Cpl. Alex Bérubé, spokesperson for the West Shore RCMP.

Anyone with information is requested to contact the West Shore RCMP at 250-474-2264.

Released by

Cst. Alex Bérubé Media Relations Officer
West Shore RCMP

#17170 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:55 AM

Young men that got out of SUV at Central Saanich fatal crash scene 'looked blank,' witness tells trial

"I thought they were probably on drugs," court told

Times-Colonist, January 22, 2022

A Port Alberni man has told a court how he stood in the middle of Central Saanich Road trying to protect a woman who had been critically injured in a crash that killed her sister.

The memory of that evening, on Aug 27, 2018, brought Garrett Walters to tears as he testified by video from his home on Thursday.

Thomas has pleaded not guilty to impaired driving and dangerous driving causing the death of Kim Ward and impaired driving and dangerous driving causing bodily harm to her sister, Tracy Ward.

Walters testified that he was driving with his family from the ferry toward Victoria. To avoid traffic, he made a detour onto Central Saanich Road.

Out of nowhere, a red Jeep two cars ahead of him started to slowly veer off to the left, he said. “It kind of hovered in the ­middle line briefly as it ­continued over, and it went on to the side and kicked up a bunch of dust and did a bunch of bumps and kind of sped up on the side and came to an abrupt stop.”

Walters pulled off to the side of the road and told everyone to remain in the car.

“Then I ran up to the scene. I got there right after it happened. It was mere moments. I looked around and observed the ­damage and what had happened. And there was a woman lying in the road face down, yeah.” Walters paused and took a breath.

“And there was another woman lying behind the car that had been in the accident and she was quite clearly deceased. There was a young man crouched over by her that I assumed was the driver.”

Walters noticed another young man in a green shirt standing at the passenger side of the Jeep.

“The door was open and his feet were kind of planted like he’d just gotten out of the car,” Walters recalled. “I looked up at him and asked if there was anybody else in the car. I didn’t know if the car was going to catch fire. There was a lot of smoke. He said: ‘No.’ ”

The man asked Walters if anyone had called police.

“He barely got that sentence out,” Walters said. “He was stunned. Both of them looked completely blank and that could have been shock.

“But judging by what I’d seen the vehicle do and the look on their faces, I thought they were probably on drugs.”

#17171 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:45 AM

The case began Jan. 12 when a man was denied service at the Tim Hortons at 845 Goldstream Ave. for refusing to wear a mask and being belligerent with staff.

He returned the next day and walked inside with a cup of coffee that had been purchased at the drive-thru. When he was told he was again being denied service based on the previous incident, he allegedly threw the coffee at a staff member.

The worker was not physically hurt.

https://www.timescol...hortons-4981337

Is there a crime here?  If nobody was hurt?

I'm not sure.  If I thrown a chair at someone and it misses them and causes no damage to others' property, is there a crime?  "Attempted assault"?

Maybe:

What is assault?

(b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or

https://www.yyccrimi...charges-canada/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 January 2022 - 04:53 AM.

#17172 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:56 AM

No additional info?

Remember, 90% of what you read in the news is press material curated by the newsmaker, re-written by each news desk and published as copyrighted information.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17173 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,031 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:17 PM

We’ve had a few instances like this, no one was hurt, customers were banned. No problem since, except for a couple of them.

#17174 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:04 AM

BAC9DE7B-02B9-4F01-BB7F-1E0B4A3BC464.jpeg
https://oakbaypolice...anuary-23-2022/

#17175 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:05 AM

^ stupidity tax is working, I see.

#17176 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:07 AM

^ stupidity tax is working, I see.

Don't we normally call this tax "the lotteries"?

#17177 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:44 AM

D553B4C6-222C-4329-86B6-2544754BEC8D.jpeg

• Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#17178 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 24 January 2022 - 06:20 PM

So does anyone know how long the anarchists were allowed to disrupt traffic on Douglas before being taken into custody (a move I’m sure didn’t inconvenience them for more than an hour)?

#17179 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:18 AM

Officers did not detect impairment in crash, court hears
  • Times Colonist
  • 25 Jan 2022

The first police officers who arrived at the scene of a fatal crash on Central Saanich Road three years ago have testified that they observed nothing to indicate the driver might have been intoxicated by drugs or alcohol.

Anthony Thomas has pleaded not guilty to impaired driving and dangerous driving causing the death of Kim Ward on Aug. 27, 2018, and impaired driving and dangerous driving causing bodily harm to her sister, Tracy Ward.

Kim Ward, 51, was a Victoria massage therapist who worked with some of Canada’s top athletes at two Olympic Games. At the time of her death, the sisters were visiting their mother, who lived in a residential park on Central Saanich Road.

Central Saanich police Sgt. Paul Brailey told B.C. Supreme Court that he arrived at the scene of the fatal crash moments after Const. Jessica Craig.

He saw a dead dog on the side of the road, then a red Jeep that had gone off the road and come to a stop against two bollards that were protecting a utility box.

Brailey testified that he saw Tracy Ward being cared for by two people in the middle of the road. Kim Ward was lying lifeless, directly behind the Jeep.

Morehttps://www.timescol...t-hears-4985477

#17180 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:23 AM

Former B.C. legislature clerk’s spending was ‘marked departure’ from duties, Crown says

— A book on beekeeping, a wood splitter and a cushion decorated with the Union Jack and the words “God Save the Queen,” are among the items that a special prosecutor alleges former B.C. legislature clerk Craig James improperly paid for with government dollars.

David Butcher began arguments Monday in James’s B.C. Supreme Court trial, alleging the offences also involved a $250,000 retirement allowance and travel expenses.

James pleaded not guilty to two counts of fraud over $5,000 and three counts of breach of trust by a public officer. His defence lawyers have not yet presented arguments in court.

“Mr. James was no ordinary employee. As the parliamentary equivalent of a CEO, he had a responsibility to the institution [and] the people of British Columbia to manage the affairs and resources of the legislature in an exemplary manner,” Butcher said.

Instead, Butcher told the court, James used public dollars for personal gain.

More: https://digitaltimes...281479279798320

•  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users

NaCl, David Bratzer, Bing (1)