Photo

The Victoria crime thread

• Please log in to reply
21986 replies to this topic

#19761 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:21 PM

Victoria man's 85 convictions highlight links between brain injury, homelessness, crime

A Victoria man’s life of crime has turned into one of survival, hope and advocacy amid ongoing conversations in the community about how best to tackle public safety matters.

Screenshot 2023-03-23 19.13.54.png
Derrick Forsyth has 85 criminal convictions. The ex-offender in his 50s says he was caught up in a vicious cycle of doing time in prison, getting out, and repeating the cycle.

A single diagnosis was his turning point to a better life.

“It’s not the best thing to say, you know, 'Thank god for a brain injury,'” says Forsyth. “God kicked me in the head and said, 'That’s it, you’re done. You gotta smarten up now or you’re dead.'”

The catalyst was a car accident in 2009, but he wonders if it started in childhood after taking hits in boxing.

“By the time I was in Grade 9, I was in trouble. I had dropped out of school. My anger issues were off the charts,” he says. “The behaviour wasn’t caused by drug use, not at that young age.”

He was treated while serving time in prison – first in a hospital, then given supports through a social worker, therapist, speech therapist. Forsyth says he had to relearn basic tasks such as shopping, ordering items online.

“My brain was like, seriously, somebody pressed reset.”

After the car accident, he remembers feeling lost, living on Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside, spending his day feeding an addiction to drugs.

“I didn’t know what to do and so I committed a crime on purpose to go to jail to get help,” he remembers.

Forsyth says he was diagnosed in prison when correctional workers noticed him behaving differently from his past behaviours observed in the justice system.

More than a decade later, he lives in his own home, sober. He’s a support worker through Victoria’s Cridge Centre for the Family – one of many agencies he credits with helping reshape his life.

'I DID SOMETHING STUPID'

After Forsyth’s release from Metchosin’s William Head Institution in December 2011, he cringes over one final mistake.

“Within 10 days of being out, I did something stupid. I went to get a cellphone and while I was getting my cellphone and giving the guy my name and everything, I stole his phone.”

It was Dec. 22, a day he doesn’t forget. The one he resolved to never do it again.

“I stole from the community and so now for the last 10 years I’ve been giving back,” he says.

Derrick still faces symptoms of the brain injury, including extreme fatigue. He was told that may never go away. He says dealing with the injury has taught him how to be more giving, understanding and compassionate.

#19762 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:44 PM

Hospital staff saved my life, says Nanaimo shooting victim

“Projectiles” still in Clint Smith’s body because location makes additional surgery too dangerous

Screenshot 2023-03-23 23.14.55.png
Clint Smith with his dog, Dotty. Smith provided an update on his health via social media and urged people to be caring and compassionate.

Auto repair shop owner Clint Smith said Thursday he was shot “several times” after a ­confrontation at an encampment in Nanaimo, and he called for caring and compassion.

Smith, 49, was shot while escaping the confrontation near the Millstone River where he went with friends on March 12. They had gone to retrieve ­equipment stolen from his ­business.

“I indeed was shot several times,” Smith wrote on social media. “I have about a foot less colon now. Had three surgeries. It is indeed dire.

“I was in a long medically induced coma while the ­professionals at NRGH ­[Nanaimo Regional General ­Hospital] worked furiously to save my life.”

The “projectiles” remain in his body because their location makes additional surgery too dangerous, he said.

Smith wrote: “I do not ­condone reaction, violence, ­retribution, vengeance or any such other foolish sentiments.”

“What I do condone and ­support is support for your ­community, standing proud being a good person, father, mother, son or daughter. Warm hugs. And empathy.”

A GoFundMe campaign for Smith has raised $26,166.

Morehttps://www.timescol...-victim-6751408

#19763 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,552 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:07 AM

A crew from a B.C. government agency took virtually the entire stock from the Victoria Cannabis Buyers Club on Thursday morning.

The Community Safety Unit from the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General is responsible for enforcement under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act and focuses on the illegal production and sale of cannabis.

https://www.timescol...rs-club-6748667

#19764 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,552 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:16 AM

Edmonton police officer killing:

On Friday, EPS deputy chief Devin Laforce and Supt. Shane Perka said the mother, who remains unresponsive in hospital, called police for help with her unruly son. Ryan and Jordan had no idea there was a weapon in the apartment, nor any indication the call could turn violent, Laforce and Perka said.

The boy’s 73-year-old father also lived in the suite, but at this stage of the investigation, police do not believe either adult knew their son had a gun.

Police also declined to comment on the type of gun used to kill the constables and how it was obtained.

https://edmontonjour...hed-to-hospital

​Convenient cover for the government.  They know all about the circumstances of the gun, but they will not tell us what it was or how it was obtained or why a 16-year-old possessed it.

A 16-year-old boy who fatally shot two officers at an apartment complex one week ago had been apprehended in November under the Mental Health Act and was taken to hospital for assessment, Edmonton police said Thursday.

Police also said the boy's gun was the same weapon used in another shooting days before at a nearby restaurant that left a man injured. Deputy Chief Devin Laforce said a bullet casing recovered from the Pizza Hut was forensically matched to the gun recovered from the apartment, and the teen is a suspect in both cases. 

“Both events have been served by robust investigations that have followed all lines of inquiry," Laforce said. “All tips and other investigative avenues were pursued exhaustively by the investigating teams.”

Investigators are working to trace the origins of the gun and how it came to be in the boy's possession, Laforce said. He said other people could face charges. 

"Whoever he got that gun from probably faces some criminal jeopardy," he said. 

The gun has not been linked to any other crimes, Laforce said, and police were not ready to confirm details about the firearm.

The Pizza Hut employee who was shot on March 12 remains in hospital in stable but critical condition, he added. 

https://www.timescol...-police-6748500

The gun has not been linked to any other crimes, Laforce said, and police were not ready to confirm details about the firearm.

:whyme:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 March 2023 - 06:17 AM.

#19765 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:17 AM

Apparently, the items Smith sells at his shop are so, so much stronger than any government-sanctioned supply, so he feels he is providing the medical supply that the mainstream industry convinced the public they were doing, but who are now involved in recreational supply.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19766 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:22 AM

It is imperative to be up front about the firearms that are used in criminal activity, as the federal government makes attempts to ban and restrict firearms based on safety.

What was ge shooting, how did he get it? The public has to know.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19767 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:06 PM

Hells Angels at 40: Criminal convictions and clubhouse seizures mark the bikers celebratory year in B.C.

Police say B.C. residents now understand what the biker gang is all about: “They want the public to believe that they are nice, law-abiding motorcycle enthusiasts ... we and many people know that that's simply not true. They are involved in significant criminality."

Screenshot 2023-03-24 11.53.10.png

Author of the article: Kim Bolan

Back in 1989, B.C.’s then tourism minister welcomed Hells Angels from around the world to a giant party organized by the Nanaimo chapter, telling the local paper that “money is money” and that biker cash was as good as any.

More than three decades later, the provincial government has just seized the Nanaimo clubhouse, along with two other Hells Angels properties in Kelowna and East Vancouver, after a historic court ruling last month that was 15 years in the making.

The B.C. Court of Appeal unanimously reversed a lower court decision and said the notorious biker gang should forfeit the three properties — worth over $3 million — to the director of civil forfeiture because they would likely be used for criminal activity.

“Hells Angels outfitted the clubhouses to prevent police from surreptitiously monitoring its activities,” the three appeal judges noted. “Hells Angels’ ‘penchant for secrecy’ and ‘preoccupation with rats and snitches’ arose out of a wish to prevent the detection of crime and the clubhouses provided a safe space for members to commit or conspire to commit crime.”

They also pointed out how many members and associates of the three chapters “had in the past committed serious crimes” including manslaughter, extortion, drug trafficking and possession of restricted firearms.

The titles for the three clubhouses were transferred to the B.C. government on March 17, property records show — 75 years to the day the Hells Angels were founded in California. B.C. Hells Angels are expected to ask the Supreme Court of Canada to hear an appeal of the clubhouse ruling. They have until April 17 to file their application.

Club spokesman Rick Ciarniello, the oldest Angel in B.C. at 78, did not respond to a request for comment. A lawyer involved in the case also declined to comment.

Phil Tawtel, the executive director of the Civil Forfeiture Office, said this week that he “can’t comment on anything to do with the current proceedings in this matter or anything to do with future proceedings in any matter.”

“I can confirm that all three properties are now in the name of the province,” he said.

So what does the loss of clubhouses mean to the Hells Angels as the notorious biker gang is set to mark its 40th anniversary in B.C. this July?

Screenshot 2023-03-24 11.41.47.png

#19768 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:29 PM

Take action on petty crimes as well as violent ones

Times Colonist - 24 Mar 2023 (Editorial)

There is much to welcome in the B.C. government’s announcement that the province will create dedicated response teams to fight violent crime.

Solicitor General Mike Farnworth has committed $25 million over three years to hire 21 additional Crown prosecutors, along with more prison guards and probation officers. They have been tasked with focusing on high-risk, repeat offenders.

The province is also counting on Ottawa to amend the Criminal Code, making it less likely that violent offenders will be released on bail.

Farnworth is entitled to expect this change. In January all 10 provincial premiers along with the three territorial premiers wrote to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau asking for bail reform.

In response, federal Justice Minister David Lametti promised targeted amendments aimed at repeat violent offenders along with individuals facing firearms charges.

All of this is good news then. But is it sufficient? As store owners in Victoria and other city centres across the province can testify, their businesses are being put at risk by petty vandals who repeatedly smash shop windows, spray paint around doorways and harass shoppers.

More: https://www.timescol...us-ones-6751770

#19769 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 12:38 PM

...The province is also counting on Ottawa to amend the Criminal Code, making it less likely that violent offenders will be released on bail...

And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

• Barrrister likes this

#19770 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 399 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 24 March 2023 - 04:57 PM

Could this be Victoria's next step?

This is after all a city that voted for and got what it deserved, city hall in a cage and the animals from the zoo roaming free.

Toronto updates decriminalization request, asks to exempt all drugs, include youth

Toronto updated its 14-month-old decriminalization request to the federal government Friday, clarifying it wants a Health Canada exemption to cover young people as well as adults, and all drugs for personal use.

The city's submission, an update to its initial January 2022 request, indicates Toronto wants the federal agency to go further than the exemption it recently granted to British Columbia under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

It makes clear the city wants its exemption to apply to all drugs for personal use and shield young people from criminalization, a departure from the B.C. exemption, which only applies to adults and lists a select number of substances. 

Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa says the submission sent to Health Canada, co-signed by the city's police chief and city manager, is a "made-in-Toronto" model reflective of a months-long consultation process. 

"We're talking about a matter of health and a matter of human rights, not one that really is meant to be addressed or is best addressed with a criminal justice approach," she said in an interview. "That's why we're pursuing this route."

More: Toronto updates decriminalization request, asks to exempt all drugs, include youth (msn.com)

Edited by FawltyVic, 24 March 2023 - 04:58 PM.

#19771 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 05:01 PM

Clown world isn't strong enough for this. It can only be called INSANE WORLD.

• Barrrister and FawltyVic like this

#19772 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 399 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 24 March 2023 - 05:06 PM

POLICE SEIZE OVER $100,000 IN VAPE PRODUCTS BEING SOLD TO YOUTH

March 22, 2023

File #22-22871

On Friday, Saanich Police detectives seized over $100,000 worth of vaping products that were being sold to youth at local schools.

In November 2022, police began to investigate reports that persons were attending middle and high schools in Saanich selling vaping products to students under the age of 18.

Over the next several months, officers witnessed individuals selling vaping products to youth at schools across the CRD, both during and after school hours. They were also seen selling to youth at malls and parks, accepting cash or cards by processing their payment through portable Point of Sale machines.

The sellers used food delivery service bags, duffle bags, or plastic totes to disguise their operation.

On March 17, 2023, with the assistance of the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team, SPD’s Street Crime Unit executed a search warrant at a business in the 700 block of Vanalman Avenue in relation to the activities, which were contrary to the Tobacco and Vaping Products Act. They located and seized over $100,000 worth of vaping products, including vape kits, pens, e-cigarettes, tanks, e-liquids, and disposables. They also seized liquids that contained up to 98% THC content, and some tobacco products.

The investigation revealed that the sellers were contacting youth primarily through the social media platform Snapchat to advertise their products. They would then send direct messages to confirm prices and schedule a delivery time and location.

No arrests have been made, and the investigation is still ongoing.

No arrests have been made and the business that was raided is not named?

Will a a fine be issued or will the police wag the finger and tell them not to do it again?

#19773 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 05:37 PM

PROLIFIC THEFT FROM VEHICLE SUSPECT CAUGHT

March 24, 2023

File #23-4220

In January 2023, Saanich Police’s Street Crime Unit began to investigate a series of thefts from vehicles that were taking place in Saanich and other regions in the Greater Victoria area. In total, over 20 thefts from vehicles were investigated over a two-month window, which ultimately led police to a suspect in Saanich.

On Wednesday, March 22, 2023, detectives conducted a search warrant on a residence in the 1500 block of North Dairy Road. Assistance from the Greater Victoria Emergency Team was required as there was information to believe that there were hazards at this home.

A search of the home yielded over one hundred of pieces of personal documents such as bank cards, driver’s licences, passports, work ID tags, as well as laptops and other personal items.

Some of the bank cards were used to make fraudulent purchases at merchants in Greater Victoria.

While officers believe that most of these items had been stolen from vehicles since the start of the year, further processing will be required in an attempt to trace each item to specific crimes. Every attempt to return the items to their rightful owners will be made.

The suspect, Tyson Airaksinen, 45, was arrested and charged with breach of release order and one count of possession of property obtained by crime. Charges of possession of stolen property, fraud, and identity theft are being investigated.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 18.16.45.png

“The suspect was well-known to police for similar offences over the years,” said Cst. Markus Anastasiades. “This a good reminder for everyone to try their best to remove important personal and valuable items from their vehicle when left unattended. Most of these thefts occurred in public parks when the occupants left their valuables hidden in their vehicles before they set off for a walk or hike.”

Cst. Markus Anastasiades
Public Information & Communications Officer

#19774 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:02 PM

Have You Seen Wanted Man William Watts?   

Date: Friday, March 24, 2023

File: #22-41776

Victoria, BC – Officers are asking for your help again as we assist in the search for wanted man William Watts.

William Watts is currently wanted BC-wide for breaching his release order. He was previously the subject of a BC-wide warrant for breaching his release order on January 30 and was arrested by Port Alberni RCMP on March 8. William Watts is 49 years old and is described as an Indigenous man standing five feet, ten inches tall with a muscular build weighing approximately 200 pounds. He has black hair and brown eyes. A wanted poster of William Watts is below. 

Screenshot 2023-03-24 19.00.39.png

William Watts has numerous robbery convictions and is considered to be at high-risk to reoffend.

If you see William Watts, do not approach him and call 911.

If you have information about William Watts’ whereabouts please call the VicPD Report Desk at (250) 995-7654 extension 1. To report what you know anonymously, please call Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

#19775 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:57 PM

TikTok challenge in Courtenay goes wrong as homeowner fights back

Mar. 24, 2023 

The video surveillance recorded Sunday at a home in Courtenay is disturbing and tells the tale of a couple who say they’d had enough.

It happened at a home on Crown Isle Drive in the golf resort community of Crown Isle.

The couple involved declined to be interviewed on camera but told CHEK News Friday the harassment began four years ago.

They believe it’s a TikTok challenge where someone will go to the door of a home, kick it hard several times and then run away as another person records it on video.

However, Owen and Laura May have also been recording them and this time had placed a string of fishing line across the front door.

It can be seen tripping up the young person doing the kicking before the female homeowner races out and tackles the suspect.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 21.43.13.png

The video shared with CHEK News ends just nine seconds in — moments before the young man pulled the female homeowner’s shirt off.

Owen May said he followed his wife onto the porch to help her before another young person came to help the first suspect.

They both allegedly hit the man and woman with flashlights as they dragged them across the concrete driveway.

“Repetitively, probably at least two, three, four times a week and weekends were always worse,” said one woman who did not want her name used.

Many of the residents CHEK News spoke with Friday say their concerns about the door kicking haven’t been taken seriously by police for years.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 21.45.34.png

CHEK News tried numerous times to speak with the Comox Valley RCMP Friday but received no response, however Owen May shared an email with CHEK News from the department.

The twist in the story is that police are contemplating charges against the 16-year-old suspects, but also the Mays for setting that fishing line, or specifically under the criminal code, ‘setting a trap likely to cause bodily harm.’

May told CHEK News he put up with the harassment for years with no action from police, adding he travels the world and a conviction against him could make that difficult or impossible.

#19776 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:16 PM

...police are contemplating charges against the 16-year-old suspects, but also the Mays for setting that fishing line, or specifically under the criminal code, ‘setting a trap likely to cause bodily harm...

Another shining example of the Canadian "justice" system.  :whyme:

• Barrrister likes this

#19777 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,552 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 02:32 AM

That’s why homeowners should be allowed to have guns. This would end.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 March 2023 - 02:32 AM.

#19778 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,635 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 04:07 AM

Island couple attacked after setting trap for late-night door kickers

• Times Colonist
  • 25 Mar 2023

...Laura May attempted to apprehend him but another person rushed up, Owen May said.

Both strangers carried flashlights and used them to bludgeon the Mays, Owen May said.

“I was on my knees with one of them bashing my head and I saw the other ripping my wife’s pyjamas off,” said May. “There she was, naked, in our front yard.”

The two, who the Mays later discovered were both 16, made their escape.

Owen May was left with lacerations and bruises to his arms and legs. “Chunks” of his toenail were ripped off, he said. Laura May required stitches to close up a wound to her eyelid.

“We’re actively investigating this matter,” RCMP Insp. Mike Kurvers told Glacier Media. Crown prosecutors will decide whether charges are warranted, he said.

He said while charges of assault are pending against the two youths, no charges have been recommended against Owen May.

Owen May faces the loss of up to two weeks work due to leg injuries.

He is hopeful that the tormenting will end. “One of the boys’ father came over to apologize — his wife was too upset,” said May. “He had tears in his eyes when he saw how beat-up Laura was. …

“When the boy’s father suggested his son perform some yard work as a form of restorative justice, I just told him to keep his son and his friends out of my neighbourhood.”

The boy’s family live a five minute walk from the Mays’ home, along a bike trail. 

“To be clear, we are not seeing this as a trend on our platform and the footage being referenced is not from TikTok,” said a spokesperson for the social media platform.

More: https://www.timescol...a-stunt-6757798

Edited by pontcanna, 25 March 2023 - 05:06 AM.

#19779 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 07:05 AM

CHEK says charges are being contemplated against the homeowners. The TC says no charges are coming. Who’s right?

Know it all.

#19780 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 07:45 AM

A self-proclaimed anti-fascist’s view of the world (via his Twitter bio). But do NOT question this anti-fascist’s point of view!

Do not even consider for a moment how terrifying a burglary or property theft situation can be for the victim, because in this man’s opinion, it’s a victimless crime with no tangible impact.

9385FF36-97E3-4849-8194-F18DDBAB77EA.jpeg

C10B4D5F-8845-4DC3-BCD9-61BE00DD43C1.jpeg

- https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

Downtown Victoria has turned into a freak show. Then you have people like the gentleman above, who try to minimize the impact of the harm that has been done to this city, and deny the experience of the victims of that crime.

So I’ll leave it at this. If you don’t know, you don’t know. Or you do know, and you’re just showing off to your Twitter friends playing the tough guy thing.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

David Bratzer, pontcanna