BUILT
The Pearl Residences
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 1628 Store Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 8
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: now selling
The Pearl Residences is an eight-storey condominium proposal situated along the 1600-block of Store Street in ... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Pearl Residences on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Pearl Residences | Condos; commercial | 8-storeys | Built completed in 2023

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#561 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:26 PM

...I believe once Northern Junk completes they’ll …bridge the walkway?

In other words, many of us will never live to see this section of the walkway finished.

• DavidSchell likes this

#562 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 05:27 PM

Yes, it’s a beautiful frontage. Great use of cladding material.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#563 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:29 PM

I wonder where that one guy who kept predicting this project had failed is these days

It wouldn't be Victoria if there weren't persistent rumours of failure swirling around just about every project. But it tends to actually be true almost never.

• DavidSchell and n_eclipse like this

#564 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 09:40 PM

Yeah, it's a good walkway. I thought it might be too narrow, but it's not.

I'm not saying it isn't on the narrow side as compared to what a lot of people might expect for a new waterfront path. But I'm saying the narrowness isn't a detriment. It gives it a bit of mystique re: seeming private/intimate/secluded in a pleasantly urban "let's take our time going through here" kind of way (as versus in an unpleasantly urban "let's hurry the heck back to safety" kind of way).

In my opinion this is the kind of waterfront route that really jibes nicely with the old town atmosphere. Great night view of the bridge lights and such from there.

Edited by aastra, 02 October 2023 - 09:44 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#565 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 08:15 PM

I believe with the downsized Northern Junk project the walkway is not planned to be developed under the bridge as part of the project. Doesn't mean the City can't make the connection in the future though. 

Nice! Does it go under the bridge there, via Janion’s frontage? I believe once Northern Junk completes they’ll …bridge the walkway?

• Mike K. likes this

#566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 08:17 PM

Aha, that's right. Thank you, tiger.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#567 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 01:50 PM

I believe with the downsized Northern Junk project the walkway is not planned to be developed under the bridge as part of the project. Doesn't mean the City can't make the connection in the future though. 

The walkway under the JSB?  The underpass walkway was completed in 2019.  The Pearl, Janion, and JSB underpass walkways are all connected.  The NJ section would be the final connecting piece.

https://vibrantvicto...ssion/?p=484061

And the "original" artwork.  It was untouched for a long time but then was so badly filled with graffiti that it was completely painted over with a solid color.

https://vibrantvicto...sion/?p=497436 

#568 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 02:40 PM

Gary!!
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#569 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 03:45 PM

The walkway under the JSB?  The underpass walkway was completed in 2019.  The Pearl, Janion, and JSB underpass walkways are all connected....

That's what I thought until someone said the underpass didn't exist.  :wacko: 

Welcome back Gary!

#570 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 04:08 PM

The walkways and stairways all come together very well, both for convenience and also for enjoyment. I knock the CoV for a lot of things but there's no way anyone can say the walking/cycling in the vicinity of the bridge isn't much, much better than it was before.

#571 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2023 - 06:30 PM

I've shown a few out-of-towners the new JSB area but it sounds like I should have been inviting Mike K. to join us.

#572 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 04:08 PM

Didn't know the sidewalk is now open. That seems to be a huge lobby space in there.

#573 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 14 October 2023 - 07:18 PM

The walkways and stairways all come together very well, both for convenience and also for enjoyment. I knock the CoV for a lot of things but there's no way anyone can say the walking/cycling in the vicinity of the bridge isn't much, much better than it was before.

I agree, riding through Songhees and transitioning to the goose is great now. We went for a walk last week around and under the bridge, quite nice.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#574 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2023 - 07:51 AM

I can't understand why people in Victoria hate development so much.....almost everything that gets built improves public amenities/ambiance of the of the area. 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 08:01 AM

...almost everything that gets built improves public amenities/ambiance of the of the area. 

2 words: Our Place.

#576 Tony

Tony
  • 520 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 01:51 PM

He did say almost.

#577 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 02:32 PM

Sorry... my bad!  I meant the Junk building redevelopment will not connect the walkway to the bridge with the watered down design. But we can hope the city will extend the walkway to the bridge underpass over the City property that was not incorporated into the redevelopment. 

I do wonder if the Junk building proposal will be built... especially given current construction costs and financing. Or if the building will be left vacant for the foreseeable. 

Regardless great to see this waterfront walkway coming together!

The walkway under the JSB?  The underpass walkway was completed in 2019.  The Pearl, Janion, and JSB underpass walkways are all connected.  The NJ section would be the final connecting piece.

https://vibrantvicto...ssion/?p=484061

And the "original" artwork.  It was untouched for a long time but then was so badly filled with graffiti that it was completely painted over with a solid color.

https://vibrantvicto...sion/?p=497436 

#578 dkuitu

dkuitu
  • 397 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2023 - 07:39 PM

IMG_2230.JPG IMG_2229.JPG

• aastra, Nparker, tiger11 and 1 other like this

#579 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 October 2023 - 09:28 PM

The finished product is certainly a ton better for the public, imo, than the parking lot that was there before. 

• aastra likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#580 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 20 October 2023 - 09:56 PM

view from the JSB by JohnnyJayEh...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users