• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#441 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:49 AM

What's he doing?

He has announced that he will use his power of the office of the premier to ensure no closed lists will be used. Regardless of what the Elections BC study says or what Eby has said. Nothing like political interference in the middle of balloting.

Regarding the low numbers, I agree with Stirling on CFAX that if we see 40% response of which 21% is PR and of that 21% 10% is MMP then that means 10% of the votes translates to 100% of the power.....isnt that the complaint of the Pro PR crowd? They keep mentioning that with FPTP 40% of the votes translates to 100% of the power.  

#442 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 November 2018 - 10:57 AM

I'll guess it will finish around 35%. Low, for sure, but basically, every non-vote should be considered a 'i don't care' vote.

#443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:00 AM

Do we really think it'll finish north of 30%?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#444 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:05 AM

Do we really think it'll finish north of 30%?

The folks that are most concerned with this have cast their votes, the 2nd wave was waiting for the debate. Those are both pretty well in now. I'm thinking less than 35%

#445 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

We've averaged 0.75% daily since the 7th of November. I just can't see how it will quadruple to 3% per day to reach just under 40%. But maybe that's how these things work? At the end people just pile on their ballots? I dunno.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#446 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

After Brexit, the HST debacle and now the third PR referendum, I personally never want to see another referendum. The people are too dumb. 

• rjag, Matt R., Bob Fugger and 3 others like this

#447 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,353 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 November 2018 - 01:16 PM

We've averaged 0.75% daily since the 7th of November. I just can't see how it will quadruple to 3% per day to reach just under 40%. But maybe that's how these things work? At the end people just pile on their ballots? I dunno.

There are also delays thanks to Canada Post.

#448 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:10 AM

There are also delays thanks to Canada Post.

CP was on strike here for what, 1 day? 

#449 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:11 AM

He has announced that he will use his power of the office of the premier to ensure no closed lists will be used. Regardless of what the Elections BC study says or what Eby has said. Nothing like political interference in the middle of balloting.

Regarding the low numbers, I agree with Stirling on CFAX that if we see 40% response of which 21% is PR and of that 21% 10% is MMP then that means 10% of the votes translates to 100% of the power.....isnt that the complaint of the Pro PR crowd? They keep mentioning that with FPTP 40% of the votes translates to 100% of the power.  

So I have already voted but would have voted differently had I known that Horgan had changed the rules. What do I do now?

#450 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:44 AM

So I have already voted but would have voted differently had I known that Horgan had changed the rules. What do I do now?

Vote for any party except for NDP next election?

#451 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:30 AM

CP was on strike here for what, 1 day? 

More then that.  I have had my last 3 deliveries interrupted here in Victoria because of the postal strike. 

It's not just one city. They set the rolling strikes so that if one city is not picketing, the connecting city where the sorting facility is. So no matter when or where you mail or order a package in Canada....it is likely to have a minimum of a ONE DAY delay because somewhere along it's journey to your house it's being stopped.

#452 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 16 November 2018 - 01:31 PM

As of this morning, about 18% have been returned though only 8% have been processed.   

In the HST referendum, 52.7% of registered voters voted.  In that referendum, about 70% of the ballots returned in the last two weeks, which would be the next two weeks in this referendum.   If this pattern were repeated a 60% turnout would happen.  In the HST referendum, 2.6% of the ballots were rejected for one reason or another.

• lanforod and LeoVictoria like this

#453 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

I'm sticking with my 44% prediction, but those are some good insights Bernard. Hopefully we end up with above 50%.

I read an article yesterday that said some of those Lower Mainland ridings in major population centres with the sub-5% return so far didn't even get their packages until last week. The Canada Post strike has certainly had a major impact on returns. Heck, I had someone from within Victoria send me a piece of snail mail early last week ago that I just got today.

#454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

The downtown post office was picketing yesterday so the strikes are having some effect still.

Know it all.

#455 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:08 AM

On Global this morning they said there's a 30 day parcel backlog and Canada Post is requesting that other countries hold incoming parcels.

If you can, use UPS, FedEx or Purolator, I suppose.

#456 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:17 AM

https://www.reuters...._VegIlQaHq5GuCU

Thousands of protesters demonstrated in Norwegian cities on Saturday against restricting women’s access to abortion, the subject of talks between the ruling minority coalition and a small party seeking to join the government.

I thought one of the results of PR was a kinder gentler more fair society where everyone gets a puppy..... 

#457 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 November 2018 - 11:39 AM

What we need is democracy with only one party to vote for

#458 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:45 AM

https://www.reuters...._VegIlQaHq5GuCU

I thought one of the results of PR was a kinder gentler more fair society where everyone gets a puppy..... 

I think it has become obvious that, throughout history, it won't matter if we have FPTP or PR... eventually, we end up in a mess... and no puppy.

• rjag likes this

#459 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 10:45 AM

I think it has become obvious that, throughout history, it won't matter if we have FPTP or PR... eventually, we end up in a mess... and no puppy.

Ah jeez, I wanted a puppy :-( 

• N E Body likes this

#460 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:16 PM

The downtown post office was picketing yesterday so the strikes are having some effect still.

The amount of mail that is being held up at distribution centres is massive. It's having a lot more than just some effect. As johnny mentioned, Canada Post is straight up requesting that other countries stop sending parcels to Canada because the backlog is so incredible. That backlog is having a major impact on letter mail as well.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users