The Bay Centre | Downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

I've never been to Marshall's in my life.  And not been to Winners since probably 1992.

Oh, and get off my lawn.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 February 2018 - 11:42 AM.

• Bob Fugger likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:45 AM

My impression is that the clothes at Winners are there because they struck out on the clearance rack at the originating stores.

Admittedly though, the only reason I go to Winners / Marshalls is to buy British hand soap!

Do they carry British toothpaste?

• Nparker likes this

#83 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

My impression is that the clothes at Winners are there because they struck out on the clearance rack at the originating stores.

That's basically the business model. 

#84 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

That's definitely part of it. It's also things from previous seasons, discontinued items, wholesale from close-outs, and even items that have minor imperfections. I remember buying a pair of leather shoes there for about $80, then saw them in a slightly darker shade at a store in Italy for €200.

Edited by Jackerbie, 28 February 2018 - 01:11 PM.

#85 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:30 PM

i do a fair bit of winners shopping/wandering, every time you go in it seems like there's something different, bit of a treasure hunt, some days you find nothing and others you walk away with your kid's new fave sweater and it cost you all of $3, it can be very hit and miss but the nice thing is that they don't bring in 50+ of the same 1 item so the likelihood of someone else at the pool wearing the exact same swimsuit i buy my daughter at winners is fairly small

• Mike K. likes this

#86 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

There are a lot of vacancies in the Bay Centre these days, from what I understand are substantial rent increases.  Just before the Winners rumour, I'd heard that management was basically jacking up the rent to empty the place out and turn it into mixed use retails/condos.  It's a bit far fetched, but man, that location.  They'd even have underground parking for the units!

#87 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:57 PM

I can attest that my source told me that they did in fact jack the rents up... But because they are looking to change the retail mix. Nothing about condos.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 04 March 2018 - 06:10 PM.

• Bob Fugger and jonny like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#88 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

Do they carry British toothpaste?

Toothpaste carried in British "dollar" stores (like Poundland) often sport brand names like Crest but originate in Eastern European countries...buyer beware :)

• Rob Randall likes this

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:38 PM

Where most folks have gold teeth. If it’s good enough for gold...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

There are a lot of vacancies in the Bay Centre these days, from what I understand are substantial rent increases.  Just before the Winners rumour, I'd heard that management was basically jacking up the rent to empty the place out and turn it into mixed use retails/condos.  It's a bit far fetched, but man, that location.  They'd even have underground parking for the units!

No condos, who wants to live in a shopping centre?  "That's an interesting window display, a guy in his house coat drinking coffee, watching TV, and scratching his..... No, wait that's not a window display!"

But seriously, I have heard rumors of another major tenant moving in.  I will try to find out details

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

...I have heard rumors of another major tenant moving in...

Maybe a huge Dollarama! That'll take the sting out of the Winners (non) announcement.

#92 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

A lot of vacancies at Mayfair, Hillside and Uptown as well. Many national retailers have either shut down, gone bankrupt or are in various stages of downsizing their bricks & mortar footprint. 

The only retail categories that seem to be doing well across the board are discount, sportswear and drugstores. Oh, and strangely enough, cell phone stores seem to have not been hit at all by the online shift. Interesting times. 

By my estimation, the Bay Centre, or at least that immediate area, could use another full service restaurant. 

#93 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:27 PM

No condos, who wants to live in a shopping centre?  "That's an interesting window display, a guy in his house coat drinking coffee, watching TV, and scratching his..... No, wait that's not a window display!"

But seriously, I have heard rumors of another major tenant moving in.  I will try to find out details

More people than you think.  Here's an example of one that's been around since at least the 1990s: https://www.alexisnihon.com/en/

#94 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:38 AM

Marble Slab has a termination of lease notice posted in their window, dated today, for breach of covenant and failure to pay rent. 

So much poor abandoned ice cream left inside... 

#95 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

In other news, their previous rent paid for the now complete front doors.

I guess in some way these new doors keep more heat in? Don’t know how that works...

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 March 2018 - 10:13 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#96 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 03:10 PM

^Picture?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#97 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

Passed by the centre atrium today and saw the previous clothing store papered up with signage that Purdy's is moving there, while still open at the current location until then.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this

#98 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:45 PM

I would have thought all the bike lanes would have been a boon for this place. 

#99 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:01 PM

The Old Cannery is opening at the former location of BCBG Max Azria on the lower level.

#100 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 01:05 PM

I would have thought all the bike lanes would have been a boon for this place.

Which one would that be. There are no bike lanes around the mall other than one that isn’t even open yet.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users