- - - - -

The Bay Centre | Downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#101 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 04:09 PM

The Old Cannery is opening at the former location of BCBG Max Azria on the lower level.

Another location for this place?

#102 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:01 PM

Another location for this place?

Yes- I think so.

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

I think the Bay Centre will benefit from the addition of a home decor retailer.

#104 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:46 PM

I think the Bay Centre will benefit from the addition of a home decor retailer.

they will get one with winners moving in especially if it's a winners/homesense combo

#105 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:09 PM

the...[Bay Centre] will get one with winners moving in especially if it's a winners/homesense combo

Perhaps I should have said a dedicated, higher-end, home decor retailer. "Winners/"Homesense" combos are the McDonald's of interior design; although on occasion, deals can be had at the stand-alone Homesense stores.

#106 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

^when I think of higher end home decor retail the last place in the world I am thinking about is a mall

Seems to be a lot of stores moving around at the Bay Centre, but the most part its fully leased

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 05:31 PM

They are renovating the Government St. doors now.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#108 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

Marble Slab has a termination of lease notice posted in their window, dated today, for breach of covenant and failure to pay rent. 

So much poor abandoned ice cream left inside... 

Ice cream crisis averted. Note on the door says they'll be reopening soon. The fridge is full of cakes again and there's a help wanted sign in the window.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#109 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:52 AM

Soft Moc is moving to a larger space that's one floor higher than their current location and closer to Douglas Street as well.

#110 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:40 AM

Winners opens in May if anyone cares lol

• Mike K. likes this

#111 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:56 AM

Now the junk that lingers on the clearance rack at the other Bay Centre stores can have a new home.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#112 SpongeG

SpongeG
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:06 PM

where is the winners going? 

as for home decor, what about something like Pottery Barn? or Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel. I wonder if the city could support some of those.

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:07 PM

Basement and street level, northeast corner.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#114 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:13 PM

The Old Cannery is opening at the former location of BCBG Max Azria on the lower level.

Well, the Old Cannery is now defunct (unless it moved to another floor of the mall?).  Their space is now for lease.

Freedom Mobile opened a store next to Purdy's...

#115 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:06 PM

Well, the Old Cannery is now defunct (unless it moved to another floor of the mall?). Their space is now for lease.

Freedom Mobile opened a store next to Purdy's...

The Old Cannery only had a short term lease. They never intended to stay in the mall.

From speaking with the manager it was more of a promotional "pop up" store.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#116 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

Victoria's Bay Centre is 30 years old in 2020. 

Eaton Centre appeals to Victorians

The Vancouver Sun; Vancouver, B.C. 08 Dec 1990

Robin Ward's A World of Kitsch (Saturday Review, Nov. 17) is not the only opinion held regarding the Eaton Centre in downtown Victoria.

The original concept for the centre was for a modern design but the citizens rejected that in favor one that, from street level, was in character with the area's buildings and varying architectural styles. This is what is now there.

Ward says that the centre's British Empire Clock was designed in French Second Empire style. Perhaps, but the origin of the design was a Victorian shortbread tin. The chime is the Westminster chime and is not only heard from Big Ben but from many of the world's best timepieces and mantel clocks. The time zones on the clock represent the far reaches of the British Empire and were not merely picked from a map.

Ward says that four reconstituted heritage facades were "stuck on" but goes on to state he would have preferred a modern building placed behind the facades. Current earthquake standards could only be achieved by dismantling the buildings and rebuilding them on the supporting concrete slab.

Ward also submits that the original buildings could have been retained but forgets the mountainous evidence to the contrary, and the fact that many were actually condemned.

In the end, though, the piece is but Ward's opinion - one not shared either by the Victoria chapter of the Urban Development Institute, which gave the Eaton Centre an award for excellence in design in a "Victoria" style, or by the many thousands of visitors who have passed through the centre since our opening in August.

Perhaps it would be best to encourage your readers to visit the centre for themselves, so they can form their own opinion.

PETER MORRIS

Manager, Victoria Eaton Centre

2 Eaton Centre

Victoria

#117 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,600 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:04 PM

It seems the escalators must be feeling all of those 30 years since when I popped in yesterday I found them not only not operating, but was told by a mall staffer that he's heard "up to 18 months" will required to update and repair them. Hard to believe but that's what he told me. If true I'd have to think some of those businesses as well as the food court on the top floors will suffer.

#118 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

that seems crazy. I thought you’d phase that in. and you’d always have up escalators working.

maybe it’s 18 months to phase through them all. if only one down escalator (out of 10?) is out of service at a time it’s not so bad. customers redirected to the Bay or the elevator for that one floor down trip.

so when you tear apart an up escalator for service you take its matching down one and reverse it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 February 2020 - 08:25 PM.

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:27 PM

It seems the escalators must be feeling all of those 30 years since when I popped in yesterday I found them not only not operating, but was told by a mall staffer that he's heard "up to 18 months" will required to update and repair them...

that seems crazy. I thought you’d phase that in. and you’d always have up escalators working...

If they employ the same technology used to maintain the Uptown escalators it might very well be 18 years until they are functioning properly.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#120 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:44 AM

The escalators have been completely non-functional since the beginning of December, and apparently it has hit the businesses in the mall (and especially the food court) extremely hard.

If ever there was a case of gross mismanagement, this would be the poster child in terms of failing to maintain a multi-million dollar downtown commercial property.

Escalators out of commission for almost two years, in a four floor mall with only the escalators and an elevator that holds about 4 people? Insane.

(Pro Tip - if you want to get around the mall, go use the escalators in the Bay and save yourself the walk up four huge flights of non-functional escalator stairs).

• Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users