The Bay Centre | Downtown Victoria

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:51 PM

I love the two floor Bottle Depot idea. Glsss bottom, cans on floor 2.
  • todd likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:43 PM

I can't find a link to the story, but CHEK News credited citified.ca with the Winners announcement.

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:56 PM

Black Press didn’t. They said it came from “media reports”.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 February 2018 - 06:56 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

Curious to see if it will have a bike drive thru....with a ride up pot bar.

• todd likes this

#65 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:01 PM

.......ride up pot bar.

Wow

#66 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:11 PM

Wow

I know...I give Helps the great ideas and don't get any of the credit.  

People could live in Winners when it isn't open....

The homeless could take over security of The Bay Centre.....kinda self policing.  

I'm full of it.

Edited by On the Level, 27 February 2018 - 07:14 PM.

• rjag likes this

#67 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

The homeless could take over.....  

Nobody uses it at night.

#68 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

...The homeless could take over security of The Bay Centre....

Nobody uses it at night.

And after turning over nighttime security to the homeless, no one would use the Bay Centre during the day either.

• todd likes this

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

Black Press didn’t. They said it came from “media reports”.

Victoria Buzz cited "several sources" about 3 hours ago.  But linked VV photos.

God forbid anyone would name (or link) another competing media source.  Best to pretend nobody knows about one another.

Good grief.  I co-own the largest FB page on the Island, along with Victoria Buzz.  It's bigger than Citified and VV's and the TC's FB pages combined.  It ran both the Citified story and two of Buzz's.

The TC is running no story on it. 

No idea why some of us choose to not collaborate with others.   :confused:

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 27 February 2018 - 09:26 PM.

#70 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:06 AM

TC now has the story.

The say “social media postings” indicate its Winners.

http://www.timescolo...ntre-1.23186879

#71 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:03 AM

Only in Victoria would Winners be considered an "anchor tenant"!

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall, rjag and 1 other like this

#72 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:46 AM

Sorry, but why wouldn't Winners be considered an anchor tenant? The stores are huge. It'll easily be the second largest tenant at the Bay Centre. 

• shoeflack likes this

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

Only in Victoria would Winners be considered an "anchor tenant"!

Well it will definitely be an anchor tenant; time will tell if it will bring more traffic to the mall.

#74 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

It would be considered an anchor tenant anywhere. I pointed out some examples above. If you're not familiar with the brand, just do a search.

#75 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:40 AM

Sportscheck is considered an anchor tenant
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#76 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:42 AM

Toronto:

WINNERS, Coppa’s Fresh Market and Harbour Eats by Mercatino will be anchor tenants in a new retail podium at Menkes Developments’ One York Street in Toronto’s burgeoning South Core.

https://renx.ca/menk...winners-coppas/

#77 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

Anyway, I give myself a thumbs up for anticipating the past few posts before they were posted:

...Winners is a great addition because you can complain both ways about it. If you want to say Winners is evidence of downtown's terrible slide then you can note the locations at Tillicum Mall or in Langford. If you want to say Winners is evidence of downtown's terrible gentrification then you can note the locations in downtown Vancouver, at Cambie & Broadway, and at Lansdowne Park in Ottawa.

• Rob Randall and jonny like this

#78 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

Sportscheck is considered an anchor tenant

Sure it is. It's a widely known, hugely successful national brand. Sorta like Winners. 

I get that Winners isn't everybody's cup of tea, but it's a well known, well established Canadian brand and would certainly be an anchor tenant at the Bay Centre. Winners is owned by TJX, for goodness sakes [a $30 billion organization...].

Edited by jonny, 28 February 2018 - 09:46 AM.

#79 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

Speak of Winners...

TJX Companies Inc., owner of Winners and HomeSense, is one retailer that continues to defy the Amazon odds — it doesn’t sell its goods online or reveal its current lineup of goods on a website, but its performance is consistently strong.

The off-price retailer’s shares leapt 8 per cent in morning trading Wednesday after it posted another strong year of sales growth in Canada, up 5 per cent in the period ended Feb. 3. That followed a robust 2016 where sales climbed 8 per cent.

The news comes amid a general queasiness about the performance of mall-based retailers and in particular big-box stores, whose deep selection of goods has been mimicked by the “endless aisle” of the Internet.

http://business.fina...-to-defy-amazon

#80 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Been in the Winners in downtown Vancouver at Robson & Granville a couple times and it was always busy.  Although I do wish it were something we didn't have already, I think having another department-style store downtown will be good.  Admittedly though, the only reason I go to Winners / Marshalls is to buy British hand soap!

I remember going to the M&S many times with my English mother. M&S cookies and humbug candies were a staple in my household growing up.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users