[Saanich] Royal Oak Golf Course lands

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#21 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:54 PM

^who is the established local developer, I have no idea who 1122590 B.C. Ltd is

The Royal Oak property, with its clubhouse, sold for $3.5 million in August to 1122590 B.C. Ltd., according to B.C. government records. Company directors are Denis Mamic of Victoria and Dwayne Walbaum of Emerald Park, Sask.

#22 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:22 PM

^and who are they?  never heard of them before.  you said it was owned by "established local developers"

#23 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 03:11 PM

He owns Mamic Development and Mirage Fine Homes. Mirage was behind the 1900 Watkiss Way project in View Royal. He also developed the old Fairburn School property in Gordon Head (Providence Place is the street name now I believe). He mostly does SFHs.

#24 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:35 AM

ah, a house builder, that makes sense why I have never heard of him.  Well I hope he has some good luck rezoning and removing the land from the ALR

I think we all know why the houses around the existing golf course want it retained.  They want to have views of a lovely golf course rather than views of another house and back yard

I think my municipality should buy the houses on either side of me and turn it in to park land too haha

#25 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:39 AM

the end game might of course be hoping that the municipality buys the land for park even before they have to go through a farm charade.  

mamic has been around for a long time.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2018 - 07:40 AM.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:13 AM

Do we know who built the homes facing onto the golf course? Many communities spring up because of a golf course.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:37 AM

Do we know who built the homes facing onto the golf course? Many communities spring up because of a golf course.

Mahoe Properties (Mike Marley) and United Properties (Vancouver developer Victor Seetton)...and it was built precisely for that reason, because of the golf course. Heck the neighbourhood is still called 'Royal Links'.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 08:46 AM

Ah, very good!

Was there any tie-ins to the folks who operated the golf course, as far as the development went?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:21 AM

no.  at least not in later years.  looking at a map there is likely some irony here.  the townhouses were likely allowed onto former alr land when they were built.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2018 - 09:33 AM.

#30 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:31 AM

Ah, very good!

Was there any tie-ins to the folks who operated the golf course, as far as the development went?

I'm pretty sure Mike owned the golf course at the time he developed the homes around it. He sold the course back in 2002 to the Cordero family who flipped it to Mamic and Dwayne Walbaum who now own the property.

When the homes were built, they were specifically marketed as Victoria's first golf community.

• Mike K. likes this

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

and they were built around 1992 or 1993.  it's quite a development really i think some might even be as big as 4-br.  there are certainly 3br 3th ones.  my partner is a caregiver and has/had some rather elderly clients in that project.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2018 - 09:48 AM.

#32 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:43 AM

no.  at least not in later years.  looking at a map there is likely some irony here.  the townhouses were likely allowed onto former alr land when they were built.

The homes were built on land that was formerly a parking lot. I'm not sure that land was ever ALR.

The real irony is that Royal Oak Golf Course was opened (1963) before the NDP established the ALR in 1973. 

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

why was there a parking lot in the middle of a golf course?  and/or was it an 18 then reduced to 9?

post-5-0-03781700-1519850687.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#34 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 10:59 AM

The homes that run the rough the course was the second phase (Royal Links South). The first phase is the group that borders the park and the outer rim of the course (Royal Links North). I'm not sure what was where the second phase was, but the first phase was a parking lot of the park.

This course has a very interesting history. This was originally land owned by the City of Victoria, who agreed to lease it to Saanich for $1/year and Saanich would then build and run the golf course. Somewhere along the way it was privatized, maybe around when the rest of the park land was transferred to the CRD?

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#35 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Mahoe Properties (Mike Marley) and United Properties (Vancouver developer Victor Seetton)...and it was built precisely for that reason, because of the golf course. Heck the neighbourhood is still called 'Royal Links'.

This is exactly what I was talking about on other development parts of this forum.  When the homeowners bought they had zero guarantee that the golf course would remain as a golf course IN WRITING and that the golf course lands had legal covenants registered with the LTO.

I love hacking apart realtors on this very subject when they say eg "look at the views", my contracts always state that the owner will guarantee for the remainder of my life that the views will remain unobstructed.  Of course they flip out and the fun begins

Realtors will say anything to make a sale and verbal means nothing

I look forward to the day this becomes a fully working farm if it isn't removed from the ALR

#36 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

111 condos at royal links north and south.  $3.5 milion property value.  they could buy it for $30,000 each.  or $15,000 down and a mortgage.  over just the last 3 years every one of them has an extra $30,000 in their own condo value.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 August 2018 - 01:08 PM.

• lanforod and tjv like this

#37 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:25 PM

For those interested, the BC Government has some good air photos of this site during the development of the condos.

Here you can see the golf course in the red box, at the same time that Commonwealth Place was being developed in the blue. Original photo from 1992 is linked here.

It looks like the Royal Links South part of the property was either part of the golf course or just some unused land within the course.

bcb92139_063_thumb.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,054 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:27 AM

Saanich residents are worried they could lose green space and potential agricultural land to development if a landowner’s application to remove the land from agricultural protection is successful.

The owner of the nearly 11-hectare former Royal Oak Golf Course land, just south of Elk/Beaver Lake Regional Park, has applied to exclude the property from the provincial Agricultural Land Reserve, which could open the door to development. About two hectares of the property are not part of the Agricultural Land Reserve.

https://www.timescol...nich-1.23976862

#39 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:04 AM

Can the public access the staff report mentioned in the TC article?

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:21 AM

Yes, here it is: https://www.saanich....20191028rcw.pdf

• Redd42 likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users