Photo

[Saanich] Royal Oak Golf Course lands

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 E2V

E2V
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

The area is right next to the huge green space around beaver and elk lakes. You can literally walk to the end of your block and be in it. And clearly, the land will never be used for agriculture. Maybe those against reasonable development should start admitting the real reason is that there’s a lot of empty space where they live and they kind of like it that way.
  • Redd42, DavidL and Victoria Watcher like this

#42 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:31 PM

real reason is that there’s a lot of empty space where they live and they kind of like it that way.

You nailed it ... typical nimby group backed up by a spineless council, who complain about the housing crises, but do nothing to help alleviate it. 

#43 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:15 PM

screenshot-www.google.ca-2019.10.15-18_13_12.png

#44 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

The area is right next to the huge green space around beaver and elk lakes. You can literally walk to the end of your block and be in it. And clearly, the land will never be used for agriculture. Maybe those against reasonable development should start admitting the real reason is that there’s a lot of empty space where they live and they kind of like it that way.

You nailed it ... typical nimby group backed up by a spineless council, who complain about the housing crises, but do nothing to help alleviate it. 

Yup, imagine the complaints if the owner were to start farming those parcels

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#45 Redd42

Redd42
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:01 AM

Perfect place for a cattle feed lot!  :banana:

• sebberry, grantpalin and Victoria Watcher like this

#46 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,481 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

Perfect place for a cattle feed lot! 

Or a regional composting facility.

• Redd42 likes this

#47 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:08 AM

Do we know who built the homes facing onto the golf course? Many communities spring up because of a golf course.

Generally, the same developer who builds the golf course, will build the real estate. Golf courses are kind of a money maker, real estate on golf courses though - that's the real money maker. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#48 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 994 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:10 AM

ah, a house builder, that makes sense why I have never heard of him.  Well I hope he has some good luck rezoning and removing the land from the ALR

I think we all know why the houses around the existing golf course want it retained.  They want to have views of a lovely golf course rather than views of another house and back yard

I think my municipality should buy the houses on either side of me and turn it in to park land too haha

I think they will be needing a lot of luck. That is a very difficult group to work through a rezoning with. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#49 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

I think they will be needing a lot of luck. That is a very difficult group to work through a rezoning with. 

The Royal Oak Neighbourhood Plan explicitly states that it supports removing the golf course from the ALR. It's from 2001, but the policy goes back as far as 1993!

FWIW, only the bits to the west are in the ALR. The part between the buildings is not.

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 8,297 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 05:13 AM

Owners of former golf course delay bid to remove land from ALR

https://www.timescol...-alr-1.23989159

#51 E2V

E2V
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 04:35 PM

A letter writer to the TC today maintains that removal from the ALR will not then allow development of the former Royal Oak Golf Course as it still remains outside the urban containment boundary. He goes on to stress the importance of not allowing changes to this boundary in times of “climate emergency” in order to sustain “ climate resilient Saanich”.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users