Photo

2018 municipal election predictions thread

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:48 AM

I think Helps is going to win. We had meetings with both Helps and Hammond at the condo building. Hammond should have been a lock with this demographic. But Helps is really good in a roundtable meeting scenario, she is a genuinely skilled politician. I think she probably won more votes than Hammond from the building.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

I just can't see all that much support for Geoghegan. Online polls aside, his campaigning is nowhere near at the scale or the level it should be to pull off a win. But his presence, ironically, is Helps' biggest opportunity at winning the election. I suspect Geoghegan knows this.

• NotHudsonMack and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:10 AM

I have zero clue how to predict the election, there's no polls so all you can do is base things off anecdotes from your own social circles.

If everyone under 50 I know are any indication:

Issit and Loveday along with the Together Victoria trio in a massive landslide,  Helps gets in but everyone's just holding their nose while they vote for the inoffensive milquetoast pseudo-progressive centrist.  Maybe now we can finally see some actual progressive policies come out of city hall and tackle housing and homelessness and our city alone will solve global climate change and shut down the entire alberta oil industry.

If everyone over 50 I know are any indication:

Massive New Council sweep, the car driving right-minded citizens have had enough with this radical SJW agenda and the war on cars and statues.  Finally we'll have fiscal prudence and clean up the junkies.

If signs are any indication:

Hammond gets a fairly solid majority in the election, but a large portrait of mike geoghegan's smiling face for some reason has to be hung in the council chamber.

• Bernard, tedward, grantpalin and 1 other like this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#24 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

Any predictions on the frustratingly vague referendum question?

#25 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,318 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:07 AM

Any predictions on the frustratingly vague referendum question?

70% victoria

65% saanich

• nerka likes this

#26 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:48 AM

the other well-funded candidate was about the worst one they (the business community) could have chosen.

True - name recognition isn't so helpful if it comes along with a poor reputation.

#27 Benn

Benn
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:16 PM

Saanich:

Haynes squeaks past Atwell

and in approximate order:

Plant

Harper

Mersereau

Chambers

Taylor

Brownoff

Teale

Brice

Victoria:

Helps wins with sizable majority

#28 SaanichBoy

SaanichBoy
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:30 PM

Saanich: Mayor - Hayes

Council -Merseruau

Plant

Brice

Bondaroff

Newby

Harper

Lord

Taylor

#29 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 08:27 PM

Helps

Issit
Loveday
Young
Pamdoff
Andrews
Collins
Reeve
Johal

#30 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:08 AM

Helps

Issit
Loveday
Young
Pamdoff
Andrews
Collins
Reeve
Johal

I'd be shocked if Alto didn't win a spot.  She has good left support but is palatable to some in the centre as well.

• Rob Randall and John M. like this

#31 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 12:52 PM

Mayor, too close to say for certain but I suspect Hammond underperforms expectations, Geoghegan exceeds expectations, and helps wins.

Council, all incumbents win plus Grace Lore and Stephen Andrew
  • Rob Randall likes this

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

^That's pretty much what I was going to say with the exception that I'm not 100% sure who's going to take that last spot--Lore or Reeve.

• RFS likes this

#33 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:17 PM

Another prediction: Jordan Reichert does big numbers. The Vegan community in Victoria is huge and very active

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 08:24 PM

Another prediction: Jordan Reichert does big numbers. The Vegan community in Victoria is huge and very active

He will get 624 votes, mark my words. I was going to say 524 but his sign has a cat's paw on it and that will get some cat lover votes.

Sign Watch, Rare Pokemon Edition:

Two rare signs spotted: Riga Godron's camouflage sign urging you to join the Godron Squadron. She will get 230 votes.  And a hand-painted Rose Henry sign. She's good for 1,255 votes. 

• Bernard and David Bratzer like this

#35 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Ugh forgot about that guy. Would never vote for him (carriage tour debacle.) meet him at an all candidates meeting - very intelligent, well spoken.

#36 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:32 PM

I just can't see all that much support for Geoghegan. Online polls aside, his campaigning is nowhere near at the scale or the level it should be to pull off a win. But his presence, ironically, is Helps' biggest opportunity at winning the election. I suspect Geoghegan knows this.

Though, he keeps claiming that he’s in the lead. strategically - so the “anti-helps” votes will come his way. Seems like it might be working. Still think Hammond will come out ahead of him. However, if he wasn’t running - it would be a guaranteed win for Hammond. Frustrating

#37 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 10:01 PM

Sign Watch, Rare Pokemon Edition:

Two rare signs spotted: Riga Godron's camouflage sign urging you to join the Godron Squadron. She will get 230 votes. And a hand-painted Rose Henry sign. She's good for 1,255 votes.

I spotted a tartan-patterned Doug Stewart sign the other day. How many votes are the t-shirt loving, immigrant hating community good for, Rob?
  • Matt R. likes this

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 October 2018 - 06:03 AM

^Unlike last time, Stewart got zero media coverage this year, therefore he will get 738 votes.

• gstc84 likes this

#39 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 October 2018 - 07:09 AM

Ugh forgot about that guy. Would never vote for him (carriage tour debacle.) meet him at an all candidates meeting - very intelligent, well spoken.

He also refuses to acknowledge anyone's argument or position other than his own.

#40 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

I have to say, the set of council candidates in both Victoria and Saanich seem weaker to me this time than in the past four or five elections

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users