Photo

District of Saanich | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#21 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:37 AM

While it would be weird to say it that way if he was against it keep in mind the vote was if we should look into it not if we should do it. Someone can look forward to looking into and learning about something they don't necessarily believe is the right move for where they live/represent.

The problem is that Ned is on CFAX making policy statements that I highly doubt the Mayor or anyone else on council has been consulted on. I am sure that Fred will be having a sit down with young Ned and welcoming his energy and enthusiasm but reminding him that council and not Ned decide what policies they are going to implement that that they need to speak publicly with a unified voice. All that happens otherwise is that people get upset or confused and the Mayor and council get blindsided with calls.

• Wayne likes this

#22 AnAndrew

AnAndrew
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:59 AM

Regardless of the mill rate, he specifically said that people living at “Ten Mile Point” maybe should “pay a little more” than the guy in “Gordon Head.”

The caller was concerned that those who spent their money wisely and were able to purchase nicer homes or (he specifically alluded to) maintain their properties well (which raises the home’s value and therefore raises the taxes) would be unfairly punished as politicians scramble to find new revenue sources.

The naïveté of youth really comes through when you listen to Taylor. We were all there once. Heck I still recall getting interested in the development industry as a bushy eyed young Mike in his first year of university. But in retrospect I was just a kid who thought he had everything figured out and solutions to major issues were just around the bend. Sigh, those were the days.

But is he saying they should pay a little more because the house is worth more, or a different mill rate? It was not clearly stated.

The caller also seemed to be under the impression that if the value of his home doubled that his property taxes would as well.

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:12 AM

If Vic Derman wondered out loud about adjusting taxes for luxury homes it would be different. I reject the condescending notion that if an idea comes from Ned it has to be run past the grownups first.

• John M. and 57WestHills like this

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:35 AM

If Vic Derman wondered out loud about adjusting taxes for luxury homes he wouldn't be labelled a victim.

Taylor doesn't need grownups rejecting anything on his behalf. He's now a custodian of Saanich taxpayers' money and that responsibility is not a walk in the park nor is his lack of experience a qualifier for sympathy from the electorate.

• Wayne and VIResident like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:54 AM

Taylor doesn't need grownups rejecting anything on his behalf. He's now a custodian of Saanich taxpayers' money and that responsibility is not a walk in the park nor is his lack of experience a qualifier for sympathy from the electorate.

Taylor has more governmental experience through his committee, election and intern work than the entire TogetherVictoria slate combined. Take that how you will.

• Bernard and lanforod like this

#26 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

If Vic Derman wondered out loud about adjusting taxes for luxury homes it would be different. I reject the condescending notion that if an idea comes from Ned it has to be run past the grownups first.

Big difference between wondering out loud and going on CFAX and making policy statements. 

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

Taylor has more governmental experience through his committee, election and intern work than the entire TogetherVictoria slate combined. Take that how you will.

Right, which makes the Victoria situation even that more bewildering.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

CFAX has been talking to lots of new councillors this week and most of them are making quasi policy statements so Ned is really no different than most of the new people that were elected.  

• John M., 57WestHills, nerka and 1 other like this

#29 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

These posts are embarrassing. Please tell me how any of these statements differed from any other councillor.

Just absolute condescending nonsense here. Shame.
  • John M., Cats4Hire and N E Body like this

#30 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

New North Saanich councilor resigns just 5 weeks after being elected due to internal corruption from within.

http://www.iheartrad...ction-1.8576534

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 23 November 2018 - 08:57 AM.

#31 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

New North Saanich councilor resigns just 5 weeks after being elected due to internal corruption from within.

http://www.iheartrad...ction-1.8576534

I have been hearing this sort of a problem in North Saanich for a number of years now.   I have been told things in confidence and have no evidence, but something seems to be wrong in North Saanich.   

The municipality will have to hold a by-election in the next six months or so

• Mystic-Pizza likes this

#32 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

It seems our former mayor went to Japan without expense approval and now wants council to reimburse him anyways.

http://saanich.ca.gr...1&meta_id=11665

#33 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:15 AM

It seems our former mayor went to Japan without expense approval and now wants council to reimburse him anyways.

After reading the report I have no question that the Mayor was in his legal right  to have the trip to Japan covered. He played by the rules, and did everything by the book. Now the witch hunting council that hated him from day one seems to be continuing that hate long after he has been out of office.  

Another demonstration of immature, childlike behaviour from the old council LOL.

Good luck to Mr. Atwell, and may the new council members elected not be biased and sucked into the trap by the old council.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 06 December 2018 - 11:45 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#34 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

Seems to me he followed established policy just fine, and that this trip was likely a useful endeavor, as long as Mayor Haynes follows through...

• Rob Randall, Mystic-Pizza and VIResident like this

#35 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

saanich council has voted themselves a raise:

Mayor Fred Haynes will see his remuneration rise to $116,4492.22 from $102,877.39, an increase of 13.22 per cent. Each of the eight councillors will see their respective remuneration rise to $46,047.95 from $41,309.50, an increase of 11.47 per cent.

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:58 PM

I didn't realize the cost of living was increasing by 12.35%. 

• tedward likes this

#37 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:20 PM

I didn't realize the cost of living was increasing by 12.35%. 

It isn't, however the cost of Saanich council is.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 05:30 AM

Saanich council has voted itself a whopping salary increase. On average, the lift totals 11.47 per cent.

Some do better. The mayor, Fred Haynes, will see his remuneration jump by 13.2 per cent, to $116,450 from $102,877. The other eight councillors will take home $46,050, up from their previous salary of $41,310.

https://www.timescol...cess-1.23775299

Struggling to explain, Coun. Judy Brownoff gave two excuses. First, she implied, council’s hands were tied. They have a remuneration policy, you see, and were compelled to follow it.

But who approved the policy that tied council’s hands? It didn’t fall as a gift from heaven. Council approved it, and council could, with the stroke of a pen, change it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2019 - 05:31 AM.

#39 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:13 AM

Ah yes, the "professional politician class"....this region it seems is utterly rife with them. I wonder how the majority would fare in, you know, the real world.

I've had the good fortune of working for some really nop notch employers; that said I am trying - quite unsuccessfully - to imagine a scenario whereby, already making a 6-figure salary, I went to my boss and requested a 13% + increase. I think the laughter would still be echoing off the walls to this day....

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:27 AM

ya try telling your boss your personal tax situation has changed so you need a top-up just to keep your take-home pay the same.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2019 - 07:27 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users