District of Saanich | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#41 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:46 AM

Anyone else notice Colin Plant is getting way more airtime than Fred Haynes? 

#42 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 05:17 PM

Understanding the need to increase property taxes. It is the highest increase in 10 years.

The article does not mention if the increase was used to cover the increase pay raise the council and mayor voted themselves this year. Or it does not mention the last year exhausting its contingency fund ($700 000) to pay for the homeless costs at its tent city.

It is also this elected Mayor and council first year, but the ability to pay for the residents was on their mind.

http://www.victoriab...-5-2-this-year/

#43 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:00 AM

I was not clear on how Saanich Coun. Nathalie Chambers would measurably contribute when elected, here her farming passion is coming in handy.  Can anyone tell me, The Little Libraries that have sprouted up in neighbourhoods, free and not food, however in several cases badly maintained and not used, how are these structures considered legal?  

Closing of jam stand on hold; councillor wants farm stands allowed

A Saanich woman’s jam stand has received a temporary reprieve from the District of Saanich.

Katherine Little is fighting an order that she remove the blue-and-white stand from the end of her Queensbury Avenue driveway by Thursday, since it contravenes rules against retail sales in residential neighbourhoods, and raises traffic concerns.

https://www.timescol...owed-1.23843954

#44 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:08 AM

Similarly, I was not clear how Mayor Haynes would measurably contribute, and, remains a mystery to this day. 

Saanich looks at cutting crossing guards

https://www.timescol...ards-1.23844032

(Total cost of guards is $71,000)

#45 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:30 AM

^ if we don't want to continue having large property tax increases, we need to do that with every spending program in Saanich. This sounds like the right reason to review it: it hasn't been done in 15+ years, and infrastructure improvements may mean some of the guards are no longer needed or at least should be shifted elsewhere.

Now, for any Saanich council members who may lurk here, please starting going through all the other line items on the budget and review for potential cuts as well. We aren't looking for service cuts, we're looking for savings where there is no longer a need to spend.

#46 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

^ if we don't want to continue having large property tax increases, we need to do that with every spending program in Saanich. This sounds like the right reason to review it: it hasn't been done in 15+ years, and infrastructure improvements may mean some of the guards are no longer needed or at least should be shifted elsewhere.

Now, for any Saanich council members who may lurk here, please starting going through all the other line items on the budget and review for potential cuts as well. We aren't looking for service cuts, we're looking for savings where there is no longer a need to spend.

You are correct and examining those line items that are less than 100K and spent on children, child safety, now that's the low hanging fruit for sure!  (sarcastic font)

Edited by VIResident, 04 June 2019 - 08:05 AM.

#47 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,171 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:15 AM

^ well no, but I didn't put ANY qualifiers in my statement. I said 'every spending program'.

#48 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2019 - 09:53 AM

...Can anyone tell me, The Little Libraries that have sprouted up in neighbourhoods, free and not food, however in several cases badly maintained and not used, how are these structures considered legal?  

If you were to make a complaint to Bylaws, then they would probably have to take action as accessory structures are not permitted within 7.5 m of a front lot line in most single-family zones. Would entirely depend on whether a Little Free Library (LFL) is considered an accessory structure under the zoning bylaw.

• VIResident likes this

#49 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:46 PM

She should just use a wagon, pull it out to the end of the driveway then back in.

• VIResident likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#50 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:20 PM

Though known for their short stature, Howard the Gnome needs a height variance, which is on Saanich's agenda tonight

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:03 PM

Though known for their short stature, Howard the Gnome needs a height variance, which is on Saanich's agenda tonight

And sadly due to ALC regulations, Howard's time on display at Galey Farms will be just for a brief period each year.

...shortly after finding out he was getting Howard, Galey received calls from both the Municipality of the District of Saanich and B.C.’s Agricultural Land Commission (ALC). “I’ve driven by Howard every Easter,” says ALC commissioner Gordon Bednard. “So when I heard the world’s largest gnome was being moved, I looked into it, and I realized he was being moved onto an agriculture land reserve.” While agri-tourism is permitted on such sites, putting up non-farm-use structures for more than 90 days is not. Galey responded promptly, assuring Bednard and the municipality that, like the rest of his attractions, Howard would only be in operation for the month of October...

Source: https://pressfrom.in...-gnome.html....

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:09 PM

Yes, for about a three week period like the rest of Galey’s Halloween attractions.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:10 PM

Howard deserves more than a month of public display each year.

#54 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:17 PM

Howard deserves more than a month of public display each year.

#StandWithHoward

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:18 PM

You mean, #JeSuisHoward?
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

Howard was approved, humourously, by Saanich. 

Hopefully the ALC also has a sense of humour.

#57 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:33 AM

It is my personal opinion that Fred Haynes has been a positive influence as mayor of Saanich.

I am also biased as I have been a Saanich resident for most of my life. I was born here.

But sometimes there is a part of me that would just like to keep this place a secret, and I wish that videos like this were kept on the down low.

This link was from Fred's Facebook feed. https://www.youtube....ZnKYq1Dvz-BZnDE

Please don't watch it.

• Wayne likes this

#58 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:56 AM

I didn't listen.

Interesting for the education part they showed UVic and Camosun Lansdowne, both of which have parts of their campus in Oak Bay (I guess Camosun is just the parking lot) but not Camosun Interurban which is 100% in Saanich. Also maybe I'm a little off but isn't that fountain shown for the UVic portion just over the boarder into Oak Bay?

#59 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:02 AM

also that first bc ferry was not in sannaich waters was it?

anyway i actually thought the video was a bit amateurish.  somebody likes slo-mo way to much.  and should have used more sunny-day footage.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 November 2019 - 08:07 AM.

#60 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,510 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:06 AM

Zero comments and only 172 Views, I think there is no fear of having to man the barricades just yet Sparky.......

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users