District of Saanich | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#141 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 07:42 AM

Is there any reason to believe Saanich’s workforce is any different from its population in general? Or that their current hiring policies discriminate?

I see the council is all white, physically able, and cis-gender. Maybe a couple can resign to make way.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 March 2022 - 07:45 AM.

• spanky123 likes this

#142 JimV

JimV
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 08:18 AM

So now people who are protesting vaccine mandates are 'white supremacists'. What about all of the non-white people at the rally?!

They’re just black and Asian white supremacists.

• spanky123 likes this

#143 Arnold

Arnold
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 11:08 AM

Here is an interesting 14 minute video outlining the work that Saanich Council has been doing.

https://youtu.be/xenNpQMCWSo

#144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 04:08 AM

Rebecca Mersereau has decided that one term on Saanich council is enough.

The 38-year-old put a lot of thought into her decision, but ultimately decided that time spent at her municipal duties and working in general should be curtailed.

And as she evaluated what direction her life would be taking, she ended up determining that a return to her home province of New Brunswick with her partner would be the best move.

That is because working less is a hard thing to do given the cost of living in the capital region, Mersereau said, and life in New Brunswick is “a little more affordable.”

The move east will come after the end of the municipal term. The municipal elections are on Oct. 15. “It’s feeling bittersweet at the moment but I know it’s the best decision for me,” she said.

https://www.timescol...unswick-5711154

#145 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 02:07 PM

CHEK:

Saanich Councillor Ned Taylor has announced he will not be seeking re-election in order to focus on a career in aviation.

In a post on Twitter, Taylor says he has thought about his decision to run over the past year, and ultimately decided to not run in the upcoming municipal elections on Oct. 15.

Aviation? The single worse activity for humanity in terms of GHGs?

What a massive hypocrite.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 August 2022 - 02:08 PM.

#146 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 02:10 PM

The first half of his address was about how he fought for climate action, and said because of his efforts, Saanich is now investing millions annually into climate action and active transportation.

Here’s his statement: https://twitter.com/...a9HaWatR-w1f_Xg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#147 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 August 2022 - 07:21 PM

I dunno. Maybe he wants to work with HA on electric beavers and shifting aviation to ‘cleaner’ fuel sources. I for one am hopeful for a more down to earth Saanich council. The current council hasn’t been overly bad though. No news is good news. That said, CoV set the bar so ridiculously low it’s hard to fault any other municipal council in the country.
  • Love the rock and Barrrister like this

#148 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 08:03 PM

Battery energy density cannot even theoretically be high enough for flight over 1 hour. It’s not likely to ever come to flight. Hyperloop has a better chance.

#149 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 August 2022 - 08:41 PM

Is that a fact? They’ve done a 20 minute with cushion. You’re saying battery density can’t triple or quadruple or more? Also, battery isn’t the only option

#150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 29 August 2022 - 09:03 PM

Is that a fact? They’ve done a 20 minute with cushion. You’re saying battery density can’t triple or quadruple or more? Also, battery isn’t the only option

I think the theoretical upper limit for a chemical battery is about 7 mega-joules per kg.   Whereas crude oil derivatives are about 50, now.  The Harbour Air planes only cruise at 2,000 to 4,000 feet, so it does not encounter the extreme cold a jet does.  So that might also be an issues for batteries.  Yes, some type of hydrogen fuel source might work in the far future.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 August 2022 - 09:04 PM.

#151 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 17 February 2023 - 07:50 AM

Whoops.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 17 February 2023 - 07:58 AM.

#152 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:33 AM

Saanich bails on membership in developers' organization

Some had worried that municipality’s membership in an organization that serves real estate developers could be seen as a conflict of interest

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 March 2023 - 01:33 AM.

#153 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:41 AM

But it’s not a conflict of interest if a municipality funds a chamber of commerce? Not that Saanich does, but it’s a practice in the CRD.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#154 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 02:03 PM

B.C.’s attorney general answered Saanich’s call and has taken to the courts in a bid to retrieve thousands of files the district alleges a former employee wrongly copied.

The attorney general’s filing accuses Guy Gondor, a Victoria resident and Saanich’s IT manager until Feb. 17, 2022, of copying the files and sharing them with his son in connection to a neighbour dispute. A petition filed to B.C.’s Supreme Court on May 17 calls for an order demanding the copied items, which contain hundreds of files with private information, be returned or destroyed.

The lawsuit claims Gondor copied 2,580 district files to his personal drive on two dates in December 2021 and January of last year. It adds that two DVDs were created in February 2022 with 2,192 files matching those copied in the months prior, and only Gondor’s username was determined to have copied the records onto the discs.

https://www.vicnews....-personal-data/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2023 - 02:03 PM.

#155 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:43 PM

^ And the guy was probably given a 6 figure severance!

#156 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2023 - 03:52 PM

I bet they wish they had Spectre 360 records for his machine ;)

• Matt R. likes this

#157 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:41 AM

The attorney general’s filing accuses Guy Gondor, a Victoria resident and Saanich’s IT manager until Feb. 17, 2022, of copying the files and sharing them with his son in connection to a neighbour dispute. A petition filed to B.C.’s Supreme Court on May 17 calls for an order demanding the copied items, which contain hundreds of files with private information, be returned or destroyed.

gondor.jpeg

#158 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 12:39 PM

Wow this is quite a shock as GG was my former boss at Coast Capital Savings when I was an IT manager there from 2003-08. Guy interviewed and hired me and up until now I never had anything but the highest respect for him. He was actually a great boss. Not sure what to think after reading this story. Obviously any parent would go to the wall for their kid but as a highly experienced exec he would and should have known this sort of activity, conducted in a technical environment with all sorts of security monitoring protocols in place to detect it, could not possibly have a good outcome. Bizarre.....

#159 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:29 AM

https://twitter.com/...431581332942855

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.06.07-09_28_09.png

#160 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 07:23 AM

I'm not entirely sure if this is a joke or not.
  • Lorenzo likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users