Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#3421 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

....Helps doesn't mention the good relationship the cruise lines have with local non profits at their ports of call 

Why would she? That doesn't play to her base.

• rjag, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#3422 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

Why would she? That doesn't play to her base.

except a lot of her base benefits from said goodwill...go figure

#3423 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:57 AM

I think we are onto something here!  There is a lot we could do.

if you think alot comes out of hotels.. just imagine how much comes out of hospitals! nearly everything in hospitals is wrapped in plastic

Aren't those needles single use?  How wasteful.  Why hasn't the CoV banned them?  If we stop handing them out like candy downtown, then people will start reusing them in the spirit of the climate emergency.

The times you see a lot of crew spending time ashore in town are spring and fall, when the ships come in for longer layovers and-or refits.

Most are just in port for a day or possibly two.  Then they are heading off to their next port.  I am just curious, how long would the extension cord need to be so they can plug in at their next port?

#3424 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:32 AM

except a lot of her base benefits from said goodwill...go figure

Envirosocialst irony.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#3425 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 11:51 AM

i'm not sure about your math here.  that's not 168000 persons worth of all-month garbage.  that's for their 4-8 hour stay.  

does this mean the ships are dropping garbage here in bulk?  if that's the case it's probably just because it's cheap to do it here (compared to seattle).

does the city take any position on the $2 or $3 per hour some cruise staff earn while in port here?

with a cabin steward earning between “$650 and $1,150 per month.”

https://www.cruzely....-its-employees/

You keep harping on the low wages omitting the fact that they get free room and board and gratuities in the order of $5 per day per person. They are well recompensed for what they do or they wouldn't do it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3426 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 12:17 PM

You keep harping on the low wages omitting the fact that they get free room and board and gratuities in the order of $5 per day per person. They are well recompensed for what they do or they wouldn't do it.

i know.  and those that line up for miles to apply for sweatshop jobs in bangladesh are also well-compensated compared to their contemporaries in the fields.  

i don't even have a big issue with it. 

in fact i'll be starting a passenger ferry service next year from sidney pier to a dock near boundary bay airport that stops for a bit in point roberts on the way.  my ship will be flagged panamanian and my crew will all be filipino.   i've already got hundreds of applications for the $400/mo. onboard jobs.  just 60 hours a week but the big kicker is the free room and board.  and the $5/day in tips.

all joking aside though it's just the hypocrisy of it.  i think we have some type of living wage provision in the city of victoria for all workers and contractors to the city but here we have third-world wages being paid - to thousands of workers every day - right in our outer harbour all summer.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 October 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#3427 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

...we have third-world wages being paid - to thousands of workers every day - right in our outer harbour all summer.

Any of whom are welcome to immigrate to Canada through proper channels in order to achieve better wages and a higher standard of living.

• Matt R. likes this

#3428 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 04:07 PM

Any of whom are welcome to immigrate to Canada through proper channels in order to achieve better wages and a higher standard of living.

workers have left the ships before here and asked for asylum indeed.  just a couple years ago no?  one guy had an apb put out on him when he did not return to the ship.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 October 2019 - 04:10 PM.

#3429 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:15 AM

Next time anyone is on a cruise ship why not ask them how happy or unhappy they are with their lot. I know what 99% will say.

#3430 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 02:44 AM

yes and some of the happiest people in the world live in poverty in africa too. they are very happy with their lot.

#3431 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:02 PM

I was just in Morocco where some people live on very little, they are not necessarily happy with their lot but they are accepting of itl 

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3432 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:29 PM

I was just in Morocco where some people live on very little, they are not necessarily happy with their lot but they are accepting of itl

Sounds like me when the property tax bill arrives.
  • Nparker likes this

#3433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:46 AM

Just a quick note about school bus operations within SD61, I counted eight cheeseboxes at E’cole Brodeur today. I can imagine there are other schools with special programs where students are bussed in.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3434 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:02 AM

E’cole Brodeur 

clearly you never took french lessons.  immersion or otherwise.

tes they appear to have 13 bus runs each day:

https://brodeur.csf....s-2018-2019.pdf

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 October 2019 - 08:04 AM.

#3435 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

... I counted eight cheeseboxes ...

Just gotta ask, is "cheeseboxes" a regional term? Or from before my time? I've never heard it before this thread.

• lanforod and rmpeers like this

#3436 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

Just gotta ask, is "cheeseboxes" a regional term? Or from before my time? I've never heard it before this thread.

"Cheesebox" is new to me, I know them as cheese wagons

• Matt R. likes this

#3437 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:21 AM

I’ve never heard them called anything but school bus
  • Nparker, LJ and tedward like this

#3438 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

Ditto.  Last time I rode the bus to school was 40 years ago and I have never heard the term used.

#3439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:56 AM

I’ve never heard them called anything but school bus

me too. or la boite fromage when I was in school.
  • Matt R. likes this

#3440 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

Just a quick note about school bus operations within SD61, I counted eight cheeseboxes at E’cole Brodeur today. I can imagine there are other schools with special programs where students are bussed in.

Brodeur is an exception - it is a francophone school and as such the catchment boundaries don't apply.  As an aside, I believe at least one parent must speak french as their mother tongue in order to qualify to attend Brodeur.

• Matt R. and Midnightly like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users