• Please log in to reply
3750 replies to this topic

#3741 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,450 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:00 AM

Yes, indeed!

And what's so often the case when vandalism does occur is the business owner is straight up told by the insurance company to cover the cost out-of-pocket as the deductible plus subsequent premium increases will be far, far more costlier. Insurance today is really for a major issue like a flood or a car smashing through your front door.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3742 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,290 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:25 AM

^ in most cases, you're better off only carrying insurance for those major issues. So keep a lower premium by having a high deductible, and self insure the small shit with the savings.

#3743 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,731 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:33 AM

I see in budgeting there is some type of $100k ask from the coalition to end homelessness. why do they deserve to keep getting bucketloads of Victoria taxpayer money? what have they achieved?

I thought that it was nearly $1M they are asking for to put up benches on Pandora street for the homeless and do other improvements to the area to attract support more people.

#3744 rjag

rjag
  • 5,322 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:03 AM

Drove past the table tennis table a few times and also sat for a few hours on the patio at Browns...didnt see it used once. 

Is this a flash in the pan?

#3745 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,001 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:11 AM

Well it's certainly a more-or-less seasonal attraction in the urban landscape.

#3746 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 764 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:01 PM

Drove past the table tennis table a few times and also sat for a few hours on the patio at Browns...didnt see it used once. 

Is this a flash in the pan?

i'm sure if you brought that up to the city they would make some claim about the weather not being ideal or too chill for people to want to play...then twist some sort of pipe dream that it will have line ups around the corner for use in the summer season

• spanky123 likes this

#3747 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,001 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:45 AM

The TC hits the nail on the head in regards to the sham method of governance employed in the CoV.

...the deeper problem is that while council goes through the motions of public consultation, the process is largely a sham. By the time a draft financial plan has been assembled by staff and absorbed by council, the deed is as good as done. The town hall meeting held last month, ostensibly to solicit feedback, was basically a snow job. Members of the public attending the event were presented with a variety of schemes. Staff members outlined projects proposed or underway in terms that either presumed approval, or that reduced important issues to the banal and obvious...

https://www.timescol...lors-1.24030113

While this editorial was speaking specifically to the city's budget process, the same methods of faux consultation are employed in pretty much every decision this council makes. It's an absolute mockery of transparency and good governance.

• kjf, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 5 others like this

#3748 JimV

JimV
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

i'm sure if you brought that up to the city they would make some claim about the weather not being ideal or too chill for people to want to play...then twist some sort of pipe dream that it will have line ups around the corner for use in the summer season

Speaking of which, we walked downtown today from James Bay to Fisgard and around several blocks in the Bay Centre area. Didn't see a single cyclist. The only sign of our gold plated bike lanes being used was two two bicycles parked in the Pandora/Government area. I guess ten degrees and occasional showers is enough to dampen the enthusiasm of Victoria's supposedly avid two wheel community.
  • Nparker and rjag like this

#3749 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,001 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 09:51 PM

...we walked downtown today from James Bay to Fisgard and around several blocks in the Bay Centre area. Didn't see a single cyclist...

I bet most of them drove their SUVs to a mall to do their Xmas shopping.

#3750 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:44 AM

typical isitt

“I think it was somewhat naive to think that we could discuss compensation before the governance review had taken place,” he said in an interview.

“Definitely many residents of the city are expressing support for looking at these things, but there’s also opposition.

“So I think the briefing note tries to lay out some of the issues and some of the factors that council and the public can consider when we get into the governance review.”

https://www.timescol...sitt-1.24030141

he tries to make it look like support for a salary review is higher than opposition.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2019 - 06:45 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#3751 LJ

LJ
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 07:56 PM

I would support a salary review - as long as it cut their salary in half, you know, just to make it more in line with the amount of time they actually spend on COV related matters.

• aastra, Nparker and GaryRanson like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users