Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#5661 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:08 PM

Special Council Meeting tomorrow re: legal advice/litigation.  Any ideas what this could be about? 

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=55924

#5662 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:32 PM

I dunno... based on my attempts over the years to elicit any kind of email response from the mayor or councillors, I'd say Isitt Spam is about all you will get. I get the sense they are above having to explain their decisions to the people who pay them.

That's true, although I'm going to be forwarding everything to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner in the coming weeks.  I've dealt with them (from the other side of the fence, actually) and have seen them follow up.  At the very least, Isitt is at least being called out on his shenanigans at some level.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "I get the sense they are above having to explain their decisions."  I know somebody who worked very closely with this gang for a while, and that person told me that they all treat privacy/information governance/records management as a joke.

• Nparker, sukika, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#5663 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 05:59 PM

Special Council Meeting tomorrow re: legal advice/litigation. Any ideas what this could be about?
https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=55924

JSB maybe? They have had cases with MMM and PCL for a while now.
  • Taj likes this

#5664 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:20 PM

That's true, although I'm going to be forwarding everything to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner in the coming weeks. I've dealt with them (from the other side of the fence, actually) and have seen them follow up. At the very least, Isitt is at least being called out on his shenanigans at some level.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "I get the sense they are above having to explain their decisions." I know somebody who worked very closely with this gang for a while, and that person told me that they all treat privacy/information governance/records management as a joke.

Focus mag had some revealing coverage of FOI shenanigans re the Elsner coverup.
  • mbjj, Taj and Teardrop like this

#5665 Taj

Taj
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:34 PM

Focus mag had some revealing coverage of FOI shenanigans re the Elsner coverup.

I think I saw that one.  Either that, or it was another "CoV-can't-handle-FOI" article in Focus. Sadly, I am no longer surprised by anything with this council.

• Nparker, Awaiting Juno and rmpeers like this

#5666 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 09:12 PM

Hard to say. The CoV gets more legal action than Trump. It could simply be grouping all the claims of people tripping on sidewalks and settling them all at once.

• sukika and Taj like this

#5667 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:19 AM

It could be all sorts of things.

Maybe there has been a hint of legal action by a business consortium. I don’t think it’s a secret there has been at least one group serious considering a legal challenge against the city.
  • Nparker, spanky123, sukika and 3 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5668 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:32 AM

You are all right that it could be any number of things, I guess timing of the meeting made me wonder if it could be related to their recent shenanigans. 

Edited by sukika, 06 July 2020 - 07:33 AM.

#5669 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:46 AM

Will the details be disclosed?

#5670 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

How would this council cope with citizens taking action to fill the gaps they've left?  What would they do if citizens formed a group to take action with respect to Beacon Hill Park - a group that has a choral 7AM walking group that observes and reports the activities in the park.  A group that distributes information about what is expected of the new neighbours?  A group that does sweeps of the children's play area and organizes volunteers to clean up specific problem sites?  What would they do, if in the wake of their failure to do their jobs, other people stepped up?

• mbjj and Taj like this

#5671 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:32 AM

Maybe it is time for the Guardian Angels to do another presentation.

#5672 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:51 AM

How would this council cope with citizens taking action to fill the gaps they've left?  What would they do if citizens formed a group to take action with respect to Beacon Hill Park - a group that has a choral 7AM walking group that observes and reports the activities in the park.  A group that distributes information about what is expected of the new neighbours?  A group that does sweeps of the children's play area and organizes volunteers to clean up specific problem sites?  What would they do, if in the wake of their failure to do their jobs, other people stepped up?

Maybe instead of parking ambassadors who ticket people for parking 32 cm from the curb, we could have park ambassadors who ask (nicely, of course) the campers to move their needles more than 30 feet from the playground?

• Nparker, spanky123, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#5673 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 08 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Will the details be disclosed?

The city has been chastised for * not responding to FOI requests; * holding in camera meetings without justification (CRD as well); * communicating poorly with stakeholders and neighbours (other cities).

The Grumpy Taxpayers group was successful in embarrassing them over "in camera" meetings and, using several requests for the same information, forced them to reveal many items related to the Eisner affair.  The police actually set the standard for the worst record of information disclosure, including in this case, but that's the norm for almost every force in Canada.  We have less accountability than in the US.

#5674 sukika

sukika
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:04 PM

Surprised it took them so long, when people have been pointing this out since it started:

https://www.timescol...park-1.24168529

#5675 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:08 PM

...This is a challenging time for everyone, especially for people in our city who don’t have a home,” Helps said in a statement...

So perhaps they should be directed back to the communities in which they were living before relocating to Beacon Hill Park.

• Taj and A Girl is No one like this

#5676 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

Surprised it took them so long, when people have been pointing this out since it started:

Since when does the the City need a court injunction to keep people out of sensitive areas of a park?

This is nothing more than a stalling tactic to allow the campers to entrench even more.

• Nparker, Taj and Spy Black like this

#5677 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,769 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:40 PM

It's getting more and more like Lisa's Klassik Kourthouse Kaper each day.
  • mbjj, Taj, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this

#5678 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

City paying $81,000 for 620 bus passes in June under the free bus passes for kids program. Works out to just over $130 per pass. City Hall wants to extend the program until year end but purchase passes at retail price less 10% each instead of pretending that their program actually worked.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=56504

Edited by spanky123, 10 July 2020 - 05:02 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5679 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:47 PM

So perhaps they should be directed back to the communities in which they were living before relocating to Beacon Hill Park.

A lady on facebook stated that she spoke to five Beacon Hill campers and four were from Alberta.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#5680 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:43 PM

The City says they’re short $30,000 per month now due to reduced Sunday parking revenues.

The plan is to allocate $200,000 for the remainder of 2020 to cover the shortfall and supply the passes. The unallocated contingency figure is $350,000.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)