Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9201 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:37 AM

My vote would be for something like təŋəxʷ. 

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#9202 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:39 AM

Victoria has a brand... does it though? It's gone from Holt Renfrew to Dollarama in literally one election cycle...

:lol:

#9203 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 08:58 AM

Of course, Victoria has a brand & name recognition, and a name change would mean a lot of work to rebuild on that.    

Although I am sure that it bugs the heck out of the woke crowd, the majority of tourists associate Victoria with high tea at the Empress Hotel and Butchart Gardens. Perhaps that will change with a FN interpretive center and viewing platform on the Malahat, but I wouldn't hold me breath hoping that changing the name of the City will impact the reason why people come here.  

#9204 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:02 AM

My vote would be for something like təŋəxʷ. 

And never be googled again. 

• Lorenzo likes this

#9205 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:21 AM

Although I am sure that it bugs the heck out of the woke crowd, the majority of tourists associate Victoria with high tea at the Empress Hotel and Butchart Gardens. Perhaps that will change with a FN interpretive center and viewing platform on the Malahat, but I wouldn't hold me breath hoping that changing the name of the City will impact the reason why people come here.  

Any reason why we can't build on that? Build on our colonial past while creating a more inclusive future? High tea at the empress followed by a traditional canoe tour around the Gorge...we can and should celebrate our heritage (all of it) and a good chunk of that heritage is first nations.  So to the degree the local first nations willing to share their heritage with us, we should support them in those endeavors if for no other reason than to build a mutual respect and appreciation for each other. 

It really is okay for us to evolve to include more things to do - I just hope we don't lose high tea at the empress, or carriage rides through the park, or bits of Victoria that celebrate our past (heritage designated homes, manicured gardens, etc.) while we add new things to see and do. What I don't want see is an evolution into being just another city that is just very much so like many other cities - I don't want Victoria to be a new Portland, or a new Seattle, or a new Vancouver.  I want it to be unique and to "grow up" to be happy with itself - and that means respecting its past while being content with what it is and being brave enough to look towards what it can be going forward. 

• LJ, grantpalin, Midnightly and 2 others like this

#9206 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:24 AM

“Build on our colonial past” won’t get much of a reception in today’s climate.
  • Nparker likes this

#9207 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:28 AM

“Build on our colonial past” won’t get much of a reception in today’s climate.

Imagine disavowing every experience you had that made you what you are today.  It's dysfunctional.  A person doesn't have to like our past to respect it and to learn from it and be appreciative of the good that came from it. Punishing ourselves for the terrible deeds of our grandfathers will do nothing to make the lives of our grandchildren better.

• LJ, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#9208 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:29 AM

that seems to be the general desire though.
  • Nparker likes this

#9209 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:10 PM

*NEW* *IMPROVED* High Tea Menu featuring;

Nettle Tea w/ Bannock Bread

Bannock w/ Elk Salami

Candied Salmon w/ Bannock Toast

Bannock bread w/ Bannock on the side

• mbjj likes this

#9210 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:19 PM

Note this must be the original bannock, not the settler bannock made with flour.

https://www.thecanad...article/bannock

#9211 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 June 2021 - 12:50 PM

I dont think this is the time to be making fun of FN's this week....just saying...

• sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#9212 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:10 PM

That's why our American friends come here. Mother, now in her early seventies, brought her teenager granddaughters and that's what they want to do! Have tea, shop for stuff they can't get in the USA, look at nice flowers (they live in an almost desert area). 

• Mike K., rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#9213 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 05:09 PM

That's why our American friends come here. Mother, now in her early seventies, brought her teenager granddaughters and that's what they want to do! Have tea, shop for stuff they can't get in the USA, look at nice flowers (they live in an almost desert area).

^This.

Like it or not, the world has specific expectations when vacationing here. Casting our English tropes aside in some masochistical penance cum apology benefits exactly nobody - except petty activists with grudges (aka Helps & Co.)

Edited by kitty surprise, 24 June 2021 - 05:09 PM.

• Nparker, LJ, Hotel Mike and 6 others like this

#9214 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:48 PM

And bannock sucks… sorry…

#9215 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 June 2021 - 09:29 PM

One thing I really like about this council and mayor is they've basically ensured amalgamation will never happen now. I do hope they rename Victoria to something stupid too. That'd be awesome.
  • rjag, spanky123 and pennymurphy2000 like this

#9216 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 26 June 2021 - 09:43 PM

Awaiting Juno brings up a great aspect... embracing all of the crd's history not just one or the other... and it makes me want to ask.. what has the city done to promote first nations cultural businesses? are there any first nations that want to open businesses, tourist activities, tours based off of their cultural history.. why hasn't the city tried to seek them out using "the city family" and supported them... to me that sounds very much like reconciliation... embrace the culture bring the culture forward help them share the culture...

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#9217 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 09:19 AM

Recently I’ve become aware of another consequence of council’s butchering of the roads in the JB/Fairfield area.  I just don’t go there anymore.  And out of sight, out of mind.  If I have to drive east  from JB I take Dallas, slow but largely unimpeded so far.  To go north I use Douglas or Blanshard.  Traffic, but no barriers in the road.  

As a result I rarely ever visit Cook street village anymore.  It’s not exactly intentional.  It has just sort of dropped out of my mental landscape.  I wonder if I might not be the only one.

• Nparker, spanky123 and jrm like this

#9218 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 02:48 PM

I don't go to Cook St. village since Oxford closed. I'm too cheap to buy coffee (and I like my own better) and I'm not into health food. 

#9219 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:23 PM

and I'm not into health food. 

But are you into champagne?

Do you like making love at midnight?

In the dunes on the cape?

• Matt R., Greg, Brayvehart and 2 others like this

#9220 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 04:40 PM

I'm not into health food. 

Have you ever noticed that everyone in a health food store looks unhealthy?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users