Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9221 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:27 PM

I don't go to Cook St. village since Oxford closed. I'm too cheap to buy coffee (and I like my own better) and I'm not into health food. 

same.. since oxford closed i haven't been down to cook st village... i might venture down there when the root cellar opens, i do enjoy some of the sales they have and they do have pretty great produce, and their other location is a bit out of the way for someone who lives much more downtown....

#9222 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 03 July 2021 - 06:40 PM

But are you into champagne?

Do you like making love at midnight?

In the dunes on the cape?

https://www.youtube....h?v=Xb6l38eP-4w

#9223 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 08:00 AM

City of Victoria - really on the ball today!

After a week of arson, vandalism, general chaos and the like, they will be proclaiming;

Wrongful Conviction Week!

Just in time for Comrade Ben to pass the bar and take a seat on the Supreme Court of Canada!

I am convinced they purposely try to piss people off with this stuff!

• Nparker, sebberry, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#9224 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 05 July 2021 - 09:02 AM

City of Victoria - really on the ball today!

After a week of arson, vandalism, general chaos and the like, they will be proclaiming;

Wrongful Conviction Week!

Just in time for Comrade Ben to pass the bar and take a seat on the Supreme Court of Canada!

I am convinced they purposely try to piss people off with this stuff!

Meanwhile, without any trial at all, they are fully willing to summarily convict those accused of certain crimes and enable associated businesses to be decimated in the court of social media. At least our court system has stringent rules around evidence and established guidelines on what is or is not appropriate punishment.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#9225 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 05 July 2021 - 02:04 PM

Wrongful acquittal is a more common problem.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9226 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 July 2021 - 08:47 PM

Oh Ben...

Did this get posted anywhere?

https://www.youtube....h?v=f-UvHDHFCJw

• Nparker, Matt R. and Vicrazy like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9227 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:08 AM

Oh Ben...

Delicious. Trying to bully and pay off the locals - throwing around his white privelege like the settler everyone knows he is.

Keep on Colonizing, Comrade!

• Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#9228 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 05:33 AM

I would like to know why Isitt said it was “unsafe” for the individual to do their work.

I really want to know what was meant by that, because I have encountered on numerous occasions individuals with the Rainforest Flying Squad insignia on their vehicle or on their person, and that’s the group I’m seeing involved with Fairy Creek.

We need answers. Is there a mob in the woods carrying out acts of physical intimidation? What in the world does Isitt mean? What was he alluding to?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9229 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:46 AM

^ The tow truck operator took Ben’s comment as a threat.
  • rjag likes this

#9230 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:47 AM

^ he was the most sane guy there.
  • Matt R. likes this

#9231 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:48 AM

Is a logging road a private or public road?

#9232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:50 AM

I think the young lady who chimes in at the end, who is the police liaison, made a lot of sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9233 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 06:51 AM

Is a logging road a private or public road?

Depends. If it’s on private land, it’s private. If it’s on crown land, it is public, but may be gated for several reasons, and use of that road would be subject to rules in regards to the purpose the road serves.

Know it all.

#9234 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

Depends. If it’s on private land, it’s private. If it’s on crown land, it is public, but may be gated for several reasons, and use of that road would be subject to rules in regards to the purpose the road serves.

That’s not quite correct. For example, a roadway at a shopping mall, although private property, falls under the definition of “highway” in the Motor Vehicle Act. Look:

"highway" includes
(a) every highway within the meaning of the Transportation Act,
(b) every road, street, lane or right of way designed or intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles, and
© every private place or passageway to which the public, for the purpose of the parking or servicing of vehicles, has access or is invited,

So, if you can freely drive on the road, it’s a highway for the purposes of the Act and all aspects of the MVA apply. A gate generally indicates that a roadway is not intended for general public use, making it essentially a private road (i.e., not a highway).

You also have industrial roads, which include forest service roads, known colloquially as logging roads.

"industrial road" means industrial road as defined in the Industrial Roads Act, and includes a forest service road as defined in the Forest Act and land designated as a development road under section 139 (1) of the Petroleum and Natural Gas Act;

Not totally my area of expertise, but I believe that s.2 basically treats it as a highway for most purposes under the Act.
  • sebberry, Matt R. and John M. like this

#9235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:40 AM

Nice to have you back, Bob!

For the purposes of traffic enforcement and ticketing you’re right, but the mall can close down a parking lot at its discretion, redevelop the travel lanes, etc.

On crown land the logging roads are indeed considered industrial and in some cases can be gated, despite being on public land.

Know it all.

#9236 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 09:41 AM

Road access in B.C. gets complex at times.

Generally speaking, logging roads that were constructed from scratch by private logging companies, using their own funds (even logging companies who may have sold their assets down the line to other companies) are deemed to be owned and controlled by the logging companies. These are often called "logging roads", or "industrial roads" ... but that nomenclature doesn't always assign the publics rights, or lack of rights to access the roads.

Logging companies who privately own land on which roads are located, IF those roads date back to the 1800's or early 1900's, and were once a public transport route, must provide continued access on those roads, which in non-legalese have technically "always" been publicly used roads constructed the Crown, with the land only sold (or given) in later years to private logging companies.

In reality, logging companies (like Timberwest, now disguised as Mosaic) abuse this continually, often forcing folks with a legal right to use roads constructed in the 1800's or early 1900's to go to the courts to get access that is legally theirs (placer miners, sports fisherman fishing publicly owned lakes, First Nations for hunting and salal gathering, etc).

Locally (as an example), the Boneyard Main in Sooke is argued by Timberwest and CRD Water to be on private land, and is indeed gated off in multiple locations. There is an ongoing argument that in fact, the Boneyard Main is an 1800's public transport road that pre-dates any logging company ownership, a road that was originally built by the Crown to provide placer mining access to the Leech River, and further was used as a public access road for decades before it was gated of in the early 80's.

A similar argument is currently being played out on the Douglas Lake Cattle Company lands, whereby the ranch is trying to prevent access to publicly owned lakes, by gating roads that have been in place in some cases for over 150 years ... roads that were built by B.C. pioneers (or the Crown), but which now transit privately owned Douglas Lake Ranch land.

The basic concept is that any road constructed with Crown money (which is public tax money), even a road that was constructed in 1895 ... remains a public road as it was constructed with public funds, and with the publics best interest in mind.

And many logging roads, and industrial roads in B.C., regardless of land ownership, are, in fact, historic transport roads transiting difficult to access areas of the Province, and were (and still are) integral to the ongoing benefit of citizens of British Columbia who wish to access Crown lands on (in some cases) 130 year old roads that were built with their ancestors tax dollars.

#9237 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:18 AM

Oh Ben...

Never thought I'd say this:  Ben Isitt: Protector of cars.

• Love the rock, A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9238 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:29 AM

Ben starts with a good point: is the logging company taking advantage of the legal ambiguity of who owns a logging road by towing away cars to a distant property. But as Ben is wont to do he lets his emotions and ego run rampant.

• John M. likes this

#9239 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:38 AM

^ I got a kick out it when he reached into his pocket, pulled out some cash and offered it to the tow truck operator to cease and desist.

Does that constitute a “bribe” Ben?

#9240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 10 July 2021 - 10:57 AM

reverse bribe. elected official offers businessman money for consideration.

then he asks if the crowd can raise $1000 but they can’t - since most are on welfare.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)