Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9161 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:52 AM

Hey, Helps & Co. Nobody asked you to cancel Canada Day. The FN certainly didn't. But you couldn't help yourself, could you? You just had to find every chance you could to shove your self-righteous pompous ideology down everyone else's throat. Talk about taking a page out of the Colonists playbook. Egg on face in 3...2...

As much as I dislike Helps, I have to acknowledge that this was a masterful move yet again.

She and Alto introduce the motion to cancel Canada Day at the last minute (as she always does with controversial issues) and people fell for it yet again. Two weeks before Canada Day everything has been planned and the acts have all been paid, there was no rush. The net result though is that (by coincidence of course) a political foe is attacked and discredited and a potential competitor to Alto for mayor is portrayed as ineffective and undifferentiated. Mission accomplished.

The irony here is that Chief Sam and Chief Thomas only 3 days ago wrote an editorial for the TC telling others to stay out of their business and not to speak on their behalf and yet it turns out the City Family did exactly the same thing to the Kamloops FN band.

All that any councillor needs to do whenever Helps pulls this stunt is refuse to support the motion on the basis that it is not an emergency and they want time to consult with stakeholders. Hard to argue with that position yet the same people fall into the same trap every time.

• Mike K., pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#9162 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:39 PM

2022 Draft Budget budget update is being presented next week at the COTW meeting. https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=68815

Staff are reporting that current projections for next year's property tax increase are north of 9%.

Any bets whether Helps and company move to reduce costs to limit any potential increase?

#9163 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:40 PM

Holy mole! That’s absurd!

#9164 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:43 PM

Maintain the roads and supply the water. Everything else is a luxury.

• sebberry, Daveyboy and mbjj like this

#9165 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:08 PM

Holy mole! That’s absurd!

Personally I think they will act to kick the can down the road another year to stick the next Mayor and council with a 15% increase!

#9166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:30 PM

I was going to say, on the eve of an election I can see deferrals being very inviting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9167 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:37 PM

Maintain the roads and supply the water. Everything else is a luxury.

And police…
  • Barrrister likes this

#9168 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:38 PM

Personally I think they will act to kick the can down the road another year to stick the next Mayor and council with a 15% increase!

Good… long enough to get out of Victoria!!! 😉

#9169 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:23 PM

Hey, Helps & Co. Nobody asked you to cancel Canada Day. The FN certainly didn't. But you couldn't help yourself, could you? You just had to find every chance you could to shove your self-righteous pompous ideology down everyone else's throat. Talk about taking a page out of the Colonists playbook. Egg on face in 3...2...

Can you put this on twitter so we can retweet it? It's perfect! 

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#9170 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:51 PM

Hey, Helps & Co. Nobody asked you to cancel Canada Day. The FN didn't. But you couldn't help yourself, could you? You just had to shove your self-righteous pompous ideology down everyone else's throat. Talk about taking a page out of the Colonists playbook. Egg on face in 3..2..— Kitty Surprise (@KittySurprise1) June 19, 2021

Does that work?
  • mbjj likes this

#9171 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:42 AM

I have mentioned before that this council would likely like to change the name of the city to something First Nations. Will need to watch the next few council meetings to see if one of them finally makes a move towards this.
  • A Girl is No one likes this

#9172 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 08:27 AM

I have mentioned before that this council would likely like to change the name of the city to something First Nations. Will need to watch the next few council meetings to see if one of them finally makes a move towards this.

Well, Some of us live in 'Saanich', others in 'Esquimalt', 'Nanaimo', 'Penticton', 'Kitimat'...the list goes on...

Changing the name to reflect the actual history here, rather than the settler immigrant one wouldn't be the worst thing. 

I could handle living in "Camosun'.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#9173 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 08:33 AM

I would not mind a name change.

as long as it’s soumthjng that sounds pleasant.

Camosun is great!

#9174 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:48 AM

I don't know if a name change will catch on globally. Sometimes it does (Bombay-Mumbai) and sometimes it doesn't (Burma-Myanmar).

I guess the difference is Bombay and Peking were old spellings that needed updating but we might be proposing an entirely new name.

Edited by Rob Randall, 20 June 2021 - 09:49 AM.

#9175 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:50 AM

if it doesn’t it just adds to the intrigue.

(Constantinople)

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2021 - 09:50 AM.

#9176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:50 AM

Camosun sounds great, but Camosack doesn’t.

Good luck to Destination Camosack, because they’ll need it.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9177 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:55 AM

Changing the name of Victoria will make no one's life better. It would be meaningless virtue signaling...so it will probably happen.

• sebberry, grantpalin, mbjj and 2 others like this

#9178 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:58 AM

Changing the name of Victoria will make no one's life better. It would be meaningless virtue signaling...so it will probably happen.

Helps & Co: "Thou Shalt Not Do what the evil colonists did, because we are all-knowing and virtuous, and want you to know we are better than you and everyone else that came before."

... until of course doing exactly what the evil colonists did suits their self-righteous ideology. Then it's "Nothing to see here, Suckers!"

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#9179 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:41 AM

Zero chance of that happening. Only the most ardent Helps supporters would ever buy into that.

Most countries with a colonial past (ie almost all countries) have found a way to incorporate that into their culture and move forward. We seem to be the only ones that dwells on the worst aspects with the net impact being no advancement and continued suffering.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#9180 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:42 AM

suffering by who?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users