Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9721 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 941 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 09:00 PM

typical of Helps and some of the council... this city's restaurant industry has just been hit with some of it's hardest times ever over the last 2 years with the pandemic from complete closures, to take out only then limited table seating.... some of these places are only still alive due to the take out industry! and now Helps wants to penalize them and make them add surcharges to take out... to me this seems more of an attack on take out then "protecting the environment"  is she really going to make a pizza place charge an extra buck for the box that the pizza is put into that will not sit well, you can't really show up to a pizza hut buy a pizza and ask them to put it in tupperware

Sure you can the new way to order takeout in Victoria is supply your own casserole dish . 
The restaurant lines the casserole dishes up fills them up puts the lids on you take them home . Instead of the restaurant calling out your name when your food is ready they call out the dish . Pyrex for four ,Country Rose for one and so on . 

If your kids want takeout pizza  they can start an art project the day before  using organic flour and water to paste recycled junk mail together 

making a pizza box .

Edited by Love the rock, 21 October 2021 - 09:05 PM.

• zoomer, spanky123, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#9722 Dr.Zarkov

Dr.Zarkov
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2021 - 10:01 PM

Donate them to a thrift store

Or drop them at your local Litlle Library!

#9723 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 October 2021 - 01:21 PM

Donate them to a thrift store

I'm too lazy. I'd probably have to wash them, using valuable energy etc. then drive somewhere in an evil car. I don't think there are any thrift stores near enough to walk. 

#9724 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,297 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 02:57 PM

I don’t really understand articles like this:

Victoria looks to become more welcoming to newcomers

https://www.timescol...mers-1.24365487

I guess I’m all for helping newcomers, but what are all the “services” they are seeking?

The article is 14 paragraphs long but never really tells us what services newcomers seek but can’t find. There is some mention of subsidized transit.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2021 - 03:00 PM.

#9725 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:17 PM

I don’t really understand articles like this:

It is a re-gurg of the Mayor's last blog. Like you I am all for welcoming people but i don't see any meaningful call to action beyond what we are already doing.

• Nparker likes this

#9726 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:20 PM

More virtue signaling. TV-ers eat this stuff up.

#9727 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 03:29 PM

I’m genuinely interested. What services does the city government or community as a whole poorly provide to newcomers?

I know that banks are GREAT with languages spoken and deals for newcomers. I’m sure retail isn’t hard.

ICA probably does a good job settling people and housing.

The article cites a Jamaican newcomer. Where the language is English. Do we have lots of Jamaicans emigrating to here that do not have friends or family to also help them?

When Kareece Whittle-Brown moved to Victoria from Jamaica in 2018, it was a “daunting experience,” she said. She felt isolated and didn’t know where to go for the information and services she needed.

“The programs exist. The people who need the programs exist. They just don’t know where to find them. They don’t know where they are,” she said.

She’d like to see a centralized place that helps newcomers access information and services available in the city.

???

Minimum wage in Jamaica is $1.30USD per hour.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2021 - 03:40 PM.

#9728 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:23 PM

^ What did she think was going to happen?

If I moved to Jamaica, I would expect that I would feel out of place until I learned how to adapt to my new surroundings.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#9729 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:31 PM

She’d like to see a centralized place that helps newcomers access information and services available in the city.

You mean like the ICA?!

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#9730 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 04:34 PM

I’m sure Jamaica has lots of ICA-like places for all their immigrants.

Nearly 2M living Jamaicans have emigrated (300,000 to Canada - see: Jane/Finch). Only 2.9M remain.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 October 2021 - 04:40 PM.

#9731 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 06:35 PM

When Kareece Whittle-Brown moved to Victoria from Jamaica in 2018, it was a “daunting experience,” she said. She felt isolated and didn’t know where to go for the information and services she needed.

“The programs exist. The people who need the programs exist. They just don’t know where to find them. They don’t know where they are,” she said.

Why didn't she stay where she was familiar with all the programs and services?

If there were no programs and services there, how did she know they were available here?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9732 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:52 PM

It’s just more poverty pimps promoting their government (aka taxpayer) funded services

#9733 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2021 - 05:41 AM

When we moved here, we didnt know where to start, so my Mum called Welcome Wagon. But I guess because it was a volunteer organization it was likely viewed as neo-colonialist & racist  

Edited by rjag, 24 October 2021 - 05:42 AM.

• Matt R., A Girl is No one and Victoria Watcher like this

#9734 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:34 AM

And there is something called the internet nowadays…

#9735 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:37 AM

apart from relying on welfare type services I’m still at a loss to understand what services she might be seeking.

Apart from paying property tax and attending recreation centres I’ve never had much interaction with the municipal governments where I have lived.

and yes the internet seems like a good start.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2021 - 06:38 AM.

#9736 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:18 AM

Quite likely language and translation services (online translation is inadequate), national services (assisting with foreign agencies related to familial connections to another country; documents from another country; wealth transfer; obligations in the former country, etc). When you arrive here, everything is foreign to you. Even the most basic foods, basic customs, basic services. It’s one thing if you can join a larger community but for some nationalities there may be very limited resources in the local language or dialect.

It’s not easy arriving in a new place, especially if your culture and norms are not western.
  • Brayvehart likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9737 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:20 AM

Quite likely language and translation services (online translation is inadequate), national services (assisting with foreign agencies related to familial connections to another country; documents from another country; wealth transfer; obligations in the former country, etc). When you arrive here, everything is foreign to you. Even the most basic foods, basic customs, basic services. It’s one thing if you can join a larger community but for some nationalities there may be very limited resources in the local language or dialect.

It’s not easy arriving in a new place, especially if your culture and norms are not western.

she is from Jamaica = language english (more or less).

there are 300k Jamaicans in Canada.  can't be that hard to connect via the internet.

https://jcaontario.org/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2021 - 07:23 AM.

#9738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:24 AM

That mindset is like French airport authorities speaking to arriving Canadians in French. Because we’re a French speaking country.

You speak fluent French, right?
  • Brayvehart likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9739 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,297 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:51 AM

I hope you are joking. Have you been to Jamaica? Everyone speaks English with a funny accent. 95% of the words are English. With some mix of old England words. Also in English.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2021 - 07:54 AM.

#9740 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:54 AM

Interesting to see such a negative reaction to this article, especially from people who have lived in Canada all their life. Because you have no problems figuring things out and fitting in - no one should? Also feels like this sentiment is arising from anger over homelessness, crime, impact on taxpayers - but it’s unfair to conflate the two. It’s not necessary to prove the positive impact immigration has on our society and economy - it’s a known fact and we’d be screwed without it.

Governments at all levels are also working to better educate people about the various services that exist for all residents - it’s a crazy antiquated patchwork or overlapping services with confusing rules, regulations, requirements, documentation, etc. The Government of Canada is undertaking a massive transformation which will put clients at the centre and connect services to your identity rather than having to apply/enquire at dozens of different access points, having to prove your identity each and every time.

It is incredibly complex settling in a new country - and Canadians themselves struggle figuring it all out. “Why does it have to be so complicated; so many forms; I waited on hold for an hour and they told me to call xyz!” are all complaints you hear from Canadians every single day.

The article also talks about how volunteers and volunteer actions will be what makes the most difference - so why is a fair comment from a new immigrant from Jamaica causing such a reaction on Vibrant Victoria?
  • sebberry and Brayvehart like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users