• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#9741 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:42 AM

None of my reactions are negative really,

My biggest beef was with the 14-paragraph article that never outlined the problem with any real examples.

And yes, as a libertarian I’m not very interested in government “services”. That’s true.

The government isn’t the solution to most of our problems. It’s the cause of many.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 October 2021 - 09:44 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#9742 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:31 AM

I hope you are joking. Have you been to Jamaica? Everyone speaks English with a funny accent. 95% of the words are English. With some mix of old England words. Also in English.

Well, how’s your French? Much of the world assumes we all speak it fluently, but very few of us do.
  • Brayvehart likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9743 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:32 AM

I agree the article the was poorly written. Anytime you read or watch something and think to yourself “but what does that/you mean?” or “that doesn’t make sense” or “why in the hell didn’t you ask xyz?” - it’s probably not a good sign.

Yes, there are too many government services that are not in the least coordinated between various levels of government. Governments are also very bad at measuring the impact or result of their efforts and too many programs cause or lead to unintended consequences. It’s easy to throw dollars at a problem because it gives the appearance of trying to address the problem and helps politically in the short term.

I’ve always advocated before governments implement any solutions they must consider how can we do this ‘better, faster and cheaper?’. Sometimes only 2 out 3 of those are feasible, but you have to start with that mindset. Once the budget is set, the departments/ministries/branches almost NEVER consider how to do it ‘cheaper’ (cost effective). Programs/service delivery are implemented at the very onset without that key consideration, thus the costs and ineffectiveness are baked right in to the DNA.

Edited by zoomer, 24 October 2021 - 10:34 AM.

#9744 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:37 AM

Exactly.

#9745 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 10:50 AM

Well, how’s your French? Much of the world assumes we all speak it fluently, but very few of us do.

Que?

#9746 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:11 AM

Another consideration which should occur at the political level is "should WE do this at all?" or is it better left alone or left to the private sector or non-government organizations. Once the government beurocrats get their hands on it, then "better, faster, cheaper" should come into effect.

#9747 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:15 PM

Another consideration which should occur at the political level is "should WE do this at all?" 

For the CoV the answer to that question will almost always be yes, especially if it grows their bureaucracy/empire.

#9748 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:11 PM

As a nation of immigrants, and a nation dependant on immigrants, we should be doing more, not less, to assist newcomers. It is in our best interest as a society to ensure newcomers can be as productive and beneficial to our society and economy as fast as possible.

We likely spend many hundreds of millions of dollars more on international pursuits than we do on immigrant programs within our own border, programs that can assist with dampening the struggles and stresses of situating within a new country and culture.
  • zoomer and On the Level like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9749 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 06:33 PM

Once the budget is set, the departments/ministries/branches almost NEVER consider how to do it ‘cheaper’ (cost effective). Programs/service delivery are implemented at the very onset without that key consideration, thus the costs and ineffectiveness are baked right in to the DNA.

Agreed.  While there are those in government that provide great value, and get squeezed to do more and more, there is not enough focus on overall cost.  What is the billable rate of each employee once benefits/holidays/pension/HR etc are covered?  In the private sector, this is 1.5x to 2.5x the salary.  I suspect it is at the upper level for gov.

When a single service is delivered at a counter or though a program, how much did it actually cost?  While it isn't your "take home" pay, what did it cost to have you work that day?  $600?  $1,000?  If you had to present a bill for that work, would the customer be happy with what you are telling them you did?

That is the reality of most in the private sector.

• zoomer likes this

#9750 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:40 PM

That mindset is like French airport authorities speaking to arriving Canadians in French. Because we’re a French speaking country.

You speak fluent French, right?

Si si senor.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#9751 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:24 PM

Actually, most French airport authorities have already realized that real French is not actually spoken by anyone in Canada.

#9752 Dr.Zarkov

Dr.Zarkov
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:47 PM

Actually, most French airport authorities have already realized that real French is not actually spoken by anyone in Canada.

Are you referring to Formal Quebec french. or informal?

I recomend Welcome to the Sticks  -  https://youtu.be/FgyCPFXeFq0

#9753 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:25 AM

Do you think that you made Victoria a better place to live?

That is what people tell me. Over and over again, people stop me on the street and in the grocery store, or send an email and say, “My life is better and Victoria has become a better place to live.”

Obviously, I don't think that I did it. But I think over the past seven years council, staff, and the community working together has made Victoria a better place to live. That's the general feedback that I get.

https://www.capitald...ns-for-victoria

what a delusional woman.

In the past seven years of you as mayor, what are some of the things that you are most proud of accomplishing?

I think [there are] a couple of things... Just as an example, when I started as mayor, I got all these meeting requests from the Chamber of Commerce, the Downtown Victoria Business Association, the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, Urban Development Institute and I started having these one-on-one meetings. Then I realized they were also all having one-on-one meetings with each other—I was like, “Oh my god, that's a lot of meetings.” So I eventually just invited everyone to lunch, and we stopped all our one-on-one-on-one meetings and have been meeting all together. 

It's been extremely effective, it allows us to stay connected with what's happening in each other's organizations to effectively lobby the provincial and federal governments. So one of the things, in short, that I feel proud of is that we've kind of changed the way that the city does business. We're, I think, seen as a valued partner in many ways to many organizations, with real human human relationships. The pandemic is another example [of this], we are in lockstep with BC Housing and Island Health.

[I’m proud of] really just all of the things we've done to set the table for the future. Whether it's Zero Waste Victoria, or our climate leadership plan, or Victoria 3.0 which is our 20 year economic plan... there’s all of these things that are in place now and operationalized at the staff level. But it’s been a lot of heavy lifting over the last seven years to get those get those across the table.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 October 2021 - 08:29 AM.

#9754 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:26 AM

That’s the mayor being interviewed, btw.

Know it all.

#9755 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:34 AM

...Over and over again, people stop me on the street and in the grocery store, or send an email and say, “My life is better and Victoria has become a better place to live.”

Left wing Trump.

• Love the rock, kitty surprise and Victoria Watcher like this

#9756 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 09:57 AM

Confirms what I’ve always thought about Helps.  She is not evil or deliberately destructive.  She is delusional.

Whenever the topic of the mayor comes up in casual conversation the reaction is usually a low simmering anger.  The other day a neighbour, whom is of a generally leftist disposition, said “Whenever I hear Lisa Helps on the radio I run, not walk, literally run to mute it.

• Nparker, Love the rock, mbjj and 1 other like this

#9757 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:50 AM

Geez sounds like Helps needs new hearing aid batteries. Shes obviously having trouble hearing people  clearly.

• Nparker, Barrrister, Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

#9758 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 11:09 AM

Tell big enough of a lie and some people will believe.

#9759 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 02:23 PM

I can't think of anything Helps has done that I like, lol. And I never listen to her on the radio when she comes on, her voice is grating. 

• Nparker likes this

#9760 qv

qv
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 10:47 PM

I'm surprised Helps doesn't get at least a little credit around here. I get that she's been behind some unpopular moves, but she's also been reliably supportive of development in Victoria. I'm not saying I expect her to be beloved, but I think she deserves at least some recognition for taking on a stubbornly anti-development council and consistently supporting building projects.
  • JohnsonStBridge likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users