Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10101 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:43 AM

The major is only one vote, now we need a good slate for all the rest of the seats.

• jrm likes this

#10102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:52 AM

One person isn't going to make a difference, especially one that already votes. If you want change then there will need to be several councilors exchanged as well.  ...

The major is only one vote, now we need a good slate for all the rest of the seats.

Agreed, but it's a step in the right direction.

• jrm likes this

#10103 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:00 PM

Agreed, but it's a step in the right direction.

Correct and may encourage other reasonable people to run, knowing they will have some backing from at least another reasonable person at the table.
I hope Young runs again as councillor too.
  • kingcollar and Awaiting Juno like this

#10104 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:01 PM

Interesting take from the Mayor.

If we don't support her plan to rezone all of Victoria (so that her developer buddies can make a killing and she can secure her next job) before she leaves office then we will all have a 26% risk of premature mortality!

https://lisahelpsvictoria.ca/

#10105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:09 PM

Interesting take from the Mayor.

If we don't support her plan to rezone all of Victoria (so that her developer buddies can make a killing and she can secure her next job) before she leaves office then we will all have a 26% risk of premature mortality!

https://lisahelpsvictoria.ca/

What's all the "we" in that article?  I thought she lived alone in a rental suite.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#10106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:18 PM

Interesting take from the Mayor....

I got chills - and not in a good way - thinking about Lisa Helps being my next door neighbour.  :eek:

• mbjj likes this

#10107 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 12:36 PM

What's all the "we" in that article?  I thought she lived alone in a rental suite.

Very convenient cover in so many ways . 

#10108 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 02:19 PM

I’m ambivalent about SA’s announcement.  I think he would easily win a council seat.  Among other things you only have to place in the top eight of the field of candidates.  The mayor’s chair is all or nothing.  There will certainly be a number of mayoral candidates, some probably there to intentionally split the vote. It’s a risky gamble.  But so be it.  

As others, including me, have noted, the mayor is only one vote.  We need council candidates that can displace the worst of the current lot.  I hope Stephen intends to  gather a team and put together a platform that can finally motivate the apathetic voters of Victoria.

• Hotel Mike, grantpalin, Love the rock and 5 others like this

#10109 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:40 PM

Well I dusted off my old Stephen Andrew high visibility vest for my evening walks. 😁
  • Nparker likes this

#10110 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:43 PM

I wish he would have asked for money or volunteers in his speech.

Get on it already.

ABS. Always be selling.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2021 - 05:43 PM.

#10111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:48 PM

I wish he would have asked for money or volunteers in his speech....

I received the following email about an hour ago.

Stephen Andrew announced today he will seek the office of Mayor of Victoria in next October’s municipal election.

Please check out Stephen's comments during his announcement by clicking on video link in this email about an exciting change at City Hall and hope for Victoria's Future. As Stephen mentioned, we need a strong team for a successful campaign.

We want to increase our volunteer team to make sure we get out the vote.  And we need volunteers immediately.  If you can spend any time working in the election please sign up here.

Please Donate
Getting the message for change out to voters and then getting to the ballot box is going to take time and money. Please consider a donation to Stephen's campaign today on this link

Finally, if at any time you want to reach out to Stephen, simply contact him through the website.

Here's the link to Stephen's announcement: https://youtu.be/ecFb9lfpxYM

Thank you for your time and we look forward to hearing from you soon

Stephen Andrew Campaign
http://www.stephenandrew.ca/

#10112 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 05:55 PM

Excellent.

I believe candidates can receive and spend all the money they want before the specified election period.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 November 2021 - 05:58 PM.

#10113 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:54 PM

The ideologues will try and bring up that rape culture comment he made every chance they get. Guaranteed. I’ll be voting for him, a million times if I could
  • Awaiting Juno and A Girl is No one like this

#10114 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:38 PM

The ideologues will try and bring up that rape culture comment he made every chance they get. Guaranteed. I’ll be voting for him, a million times if I could

If this stacks up the way I think it will then it could get very nasty. 

#10115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:54 AM

No it won't. There has been a great deal of 'we need more civility' dialogue in recent months from individuals who I don't think would be prone to vote for Stephen.  You can't be asking for it, publicly, then deny it, during a campaign. That would be equally as damaging to the brand you support.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10116 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:14 AM

They get the dirty work done by someone else example Geoghan.
  • Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#10117 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 658 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:24 AM

They get the dirty work done by someone else example Geoghan.

Exactly. I remember a bunch of TVs campaigning people going after Hammond pretty hard. I called them out several times, posted pictures of them from their rally’s. They were absolutely vicious, it was pretty gross
  • Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#10118 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 08:51 AM

TV may signal their virtue, but they certainly don't practice it.

#10119 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:11 AM

No it won't. There has been a great deal of 'we need more civility' dialogue in recent months from individuals who I don't think would be prone to vote for Stephen.  You can't be asking for it, publicly, then deny it, during a campaign. That would be equally as damaging to the brand you support.

But if a 3rd party does it?!

#10120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 09:22 AM

Everyone's cover has been blown. The network of connections between various social agencies and political figures has been exposed. Things are not what they were in 2018, when the electorate was naive to the level of connectivity in this region.

• Awaiting Juno and kitty surprise like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users