Photo

City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#10081 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:15 PM

Stephen: I appreciate what you are trying to accomplish but the reality is that most of the council are seriously off track, Compromising with am exceptionally bad idea still leaves you with a really bad idea.

I am still trying to get anyone to explain the first question on the budget survey. It is the one that asks me to rank the cities priority from one to eight (eight being the worst) but it forces you to rank at least half of them in the top their. This is aking one whether you would rank your preference to being shot stabbed or have all your money stolen. it is an absolutely manipulative question.that will be used to claim support for the politicians policies. It is also intentionally manipulative since they have done this before and it was pointed out to the department that this is clearly improper.

To be clear I dont think seven of the eight items should be a priority and that the eight is so vague as to be meaningless or open to any interrelation.

Complaining will not achieve anything since most of the members of this council are not interested in either honesty or fairness,

I do support you Stephen but compromise is a game that they win every time.

There will be questions in public on this

#10082 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 24 November 2021 - 05:20 PM

…while zoomer worries about who may or may not buy a downtown lot.

What the hell - catching up on VV threads and I think this is your third direct reference to me thus far! I’m worried I’m living rent free in your head Mike, sorry about that. Feel free to DM me if I’m getting on your nerves, or just ask me to back off too if that works.
  • Mike K., Hotel Mike and lanforod like this

#10083 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 24 November 2021 - 09:44 PM

https://www.facebook...264423039024412

Further info: StephenAndrew.ca

Edited by Nparker, 24 November 2021 - 09:44 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#10084 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 08:42 AM

^ This is going to be the most interesting election we have had in a long time. For a couple of cycles we have spoken of the "business community" finally getting its act together. I think this time it is finally going to happen even though there is more than one "business community"!

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#10085 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:25 AM

^ This is going to be the most interesting election we have had in a long time. For a couple of cycles we have spoken of the "business community" finally getting its act together. I think this time it is finally going to happen even though there is more than one "business community"!

There's no choice. Either we elect better, or we face economic peril. Ignoring municipal politics is no longer a benign thing to do - not when those who are engaged are willing to do whatever they must to advance their own interests. 

• Nparker likes this

#10086 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:33 AM

There's no choice. Either we elect better, or we face economic peril. Ignoring municipal politics is no longer a benign thing to do - not when those who are engaged are willing to do whatever they must to advance their own interests.

Although sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for.
  • yellow_baron likes this

#10087 Harry

Harry
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:12 PM

The clover point issue is as old as it gets (much like government st) every few years there is a great idea top put benches etc in. And like clock work they are removed. The point is usually due to the weather and Government is due to the need to use the road. Councillor Young stated when talking about the point that the next people in council could work to undo everything this council has done. This gives me the impression that they know what is being done in the city is not for the people but for them and their echo chamber friends. Through some digging around you can clearly see how the friends of council have benefited from these weird choices. Like it or not a large percentage of the ViC Council is borderline corrupt helping them selves or friends to the cost to the taxpayer. When you have a system of punishment handed out if you speak against them it shows the council is broken. I would really like to see a spread sheet of what has been done and who voted on it and who or how they are connected to the item voted on. I would also like to see a time line of how things were handled with the police, the homeless, taxes, parking rates, the petitions that have been ignored, Beacon Hill park, rerouting of funds from one part of city works to cover pet projects, city camping, the homeless numbers going up and how that coincides with helps making wild announcements about free camping, camping in vehicles etc. Certain counselors are working like mad to hide things they have said and done its appalling.

• Nparker, LJ, Love the rock and 4 others like this

#10088 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 02:16 PM

...the next people in council could work to undo everything this council has done...

One can hope! 

• Barrrister likes this

#10089 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:26 PM

We need another fence in the downtown core

Isn’t this great? A beautiful building, the Alix Goolden Performance Hall at the Conservatory of Music, will be behind an ugly wire fence at Pandora and Quadra to prevent criminals and drug users from destroying it.

Using the same logic, maybe it would be a good idea to put the same style metal fence around City Hall to keep the mayor and a certain four city councillors inside City Hall in order to prevent any further destruction to downtown.

Paul Baldwin
Victoria

https://www.timescol...lly-ill-4800866

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 November 2021 - 03:26 PM.

• Nparker, A Girl is No one, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#10090 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:31 PM

That's a great letter.

#10091 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:35 PM

I’m a bit surprised they ran it. But I’m also told that Obee is pretty upset about how the CoV is being run.
  • Nparker and mbjj like this

#10092 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:56 PM

I’m a bit surprised they ran it. But I’m also told that Obee is pretty upset about how the CoV is being run.

Obee's personal opinion doesn't factor into how the TC is run. That is why he is such a great editor unlike some newer startup 'media' outlets.

#10093 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:59 PM

Well, I’m privy to some of his communications with other business people in town. He’s critical of this council.
  • Nparker likes this

#10094 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 03:59 PM

^

Letter of the year.

#10095 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 26 November 2021 - 04:22 PM

Well, I’m privy to some of his communications with other business people in town. He’s critical of this council.

He is certainly entitled to his personal opinions. I am saying that he doesn't let his personal opinions dictate how he runs the paper.

#10096 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 03:30 PM

andrew.PNG

#10097 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 November 2021 - 10:21 AM

The announcement is out - Andrew will seek the Mayor's chair in the October 15, 2022 election: https://youtu.be/ecFb9lfpxYM

• Nparker and jrm like this

#10098 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:31 AM

Good luck Stephen! I hope you win. 🤞
  • Nparker, Hotel Mike, kingcollar and 1 other like this

#10099 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:36 AM

Good luck Stephen! I hope you win.

If Stephen wins so does Victoria (hopefully).

• kingcollar, A Girl is No one and jrm like this

#10100 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 11:43 AM

If Stephen wins so does Victoria (hopefully).

One person isn't going to make a difference, especially one that already votes. If you want change then there will need to be several councilors exchanged as well.  

I think Stephen's biggest weakness is his willingness to punch down with opponents. That doesn't play well (ask Atwell) and will be used against him during a competitive campaign.  

Edited by spanky123, 30 November 2021 - 11:45 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users