City of Victoria | 2018-2022 | Mayor and council general discussion

• Please log in to reply
11779 replies to this topic

#1801 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:37 AM

Lisa Helps comments on Sri Lanka bombings of Christian Churches on Easter Sunday

My heart goes out to those killed or injured in the bombings in Sri Lanka. We should be very concerned as a human species whenever sanctuaries of any faith group are attacked; sanctuaries are by definition safe places, or should be. https://twitter.com/...189613526720514

Lisa Helps comments on the Mosque shootings in New Zealand

In light of the horrible mosque shootings in New Zealand, I stand in solidarity with our Muslim community against racism, Islamophobia and discrimination and for #diversity, #inclusion and #love. https://twitter.com/...462672072126464

• A Girl is No one likes this

#1802 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

What time is the CoV city council human chain around a church convening?
  • RFS, mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#1803 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:24 AM

What time is the CoV city council human chain around a church convening?

And lowering the flag at City Hall to half mast.

• Nparker, jonny and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1804 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

Doing those things might "trigger" people; you know like Xmas decorations?

• jonny and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1805 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:26 AM

Hey Juno. There may be a municipal by-election this autumn. Why not take a shot at it before you decide to move out?

probably not this autumn...since there is no requirement for a councillor to resign while standing for higher office, and the federal election is not until oct 21, and then the seat must be declared vacant (usually by vote of council at first opportunity), and then a chief election officer must be appointed  (as soon as practicable)(by-election within 80 days) and then the minister must be notified - it could be close to ninety days or more before a by-election takes place so it is likely that nothing will happen until early 2020...

• AndrewReeve, pennymurphy2000, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#1806 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:06 PM

Kinda hard to run for council when you would almost certainly take a paycut to put in more hours and have much more daily stress (if you want to do a good job). This is why I don't like the "if current politicians suck why don't you just run" argument. We should collectively hold City Hall to a standard where they work for the betterment of the city, giving them a thumbs up when they grimly work and a thumbs down when they're wasting time or pandering.
  • pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#1807 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

Yes. It's a tough slog and yes, it probably won't happen until 2020. But Juno is correct. If those of a more centre or moderate bent wish to elect a Councillor, it would be wise to try to get behind one good candidate. Usually by-elections bring out a ton of candidates.

• AndrewReeve likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#1808 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:48 PM

I'd run but for council but my platform of "fire them all" would probably not be too popular.
  • pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and Cassidy like this

#1809 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:54 AM

I'd run but for council but my platform of "fire them all" would probably not be too popular.

"Make Victoria Great Again"? On a baseball cap of course, with the candidate being a comedian.

Seemed to work in the U.S. and the Ukraine.

#1810 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

I think deez nutz could have won.

• Matt R. likes this

#1811 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 April 2019 - 08:49 AM

I think deez nutz could have won.

Oh, do you know him?

#1812 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:00 AM

I'll try to give my best "Mann på gaten" (Man on the Street) report in a couple of weeks.

It's Monday evening in Oslo and I can confirm having been here since Saturday that there are cars everywhere.  I have yet to come across any kind of pedestrian-only areas, except for an area of the harbour that would correspond with our causeway.

Lots of electric cars for sure, as gas is about 14NOK/l or about $2.20/l CDN.  And they're transit system is amazing compared to ours.  Going to post on the BC Transit thread in just a sec.

• rjag, mbjj and pennymurphy2000 like this

#1813 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

It's Monday evening in Oslo and I can confirm having been here since Saturday that there are cars everywhere.  I have yet to come across any kind of pedestrian-only areas, except for an area of the harbour that would correspond with our causeway.

Lots of electric cars for sure, as gas is about 14NOK/l or about $2.20/l CDN.  And they're transit system is amazing compared to ours.  Going to post on the BC Transit thread in just a sec.

Thanks Bob. Of course there are cars everywhere, I wonder if the Mayor really thinks that we are so dumb.

Aside from your first hand insight, all one needs to do is look at any of the many public webcams set up in Oslo to watch the cars go by.

Edited by spanky123, 23 April 2019 - 09:09 AM.

#1814 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 09:10 AM

[Oslo's] transit system is amazing compared to ours...

Oslo's 2019 population is estimated to be 1,026,758.

CRD 2019 population is estimated to be 382,085.

• Ismo07 likes this

#1815 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 932 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:03 AM

Oslo opened its first metro line in 1898. At the time its population was around 200,000.

The real difference is that Oslo, like most European cities, kept its rail transit after WWII because nobody could afford cars. Victoria, like most North American cities, experienced a boom through the end of the war, believed cars were the future, and foolishly dismantled its rail transit system.

• Bob Fugger, tedward, AndrewReeve and 1 other like this

#1816 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:43 AM

Mind if I post this comment to Lisa's Twitter?

• Nparker, Bob Fugger, mbjj and 1 other like this

#1817 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:47 AM

Any plastic "single use" bags visible in Oslo?

#1818 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:04 PM

Don't get too hung up on Oslo, since there are many factors at work there aside from just "banning cars." You've got relatively high fuel prices, limited street parking, expensive parkades at $5-10/hour, and a $7 toll to enter the city with an ICE car. Oslo goes beyond the catch phrases and sound bites, and actually walks the walk.

• thundergun likes this

#1819 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:23 PM

Don't get too hung up on Oslo, since there are many factors at work there aside from just "banning cars." You've got relatively high fuel prices, limited street parking, expensive parkades at $5-10/hour, and a $7 toll to enter the city with an ICE car. Oslo goes beyond the catch phrases and sound bites, and actually walks the walk.

Maybe so but this is what Ms Helps claimed and the media picked it up

https://twitter.com/...733707805503489

MT @MikeHudema: Norway is banning cars from the centre of Oslo. Parking spaces are to be replaced with flower beds. 60km of cycle lanes are being built. We have solutions to the #climate crisis. Let's implement them. #sustainability #greencities

https://www.cheknews...en-here-549427/

Oslo’s ‘car-free’ downtown has caught the attention of Victoria’s mayor, but could it actually happen here?

Edited by rjag, 23 April 2019 - 12:24 PM.

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#1820 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Bob. Of course there are cars everywhere, I wonder if the Mayor really thinks that we are so dumb.

Aside from your first hand insight, all one needs to do is look at any of the many public webcams set up in Oslo to watch the cars go by.

It seemed obvious to me that the Oslo articles stated that their plan to go car-free is a long-term initiative and that it is not car-free at this moment.

It was also clear in the article that Helps was merely pondering the concept of what a car-free Downtown would actually look like and that a plan to implement it wasn't even on the radar.

Banning cars from all or part of Downtown Victoria has been discussed on and off for several decades now so I don't know why you guys all have your panties in a knot over this.

• shoeflack likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users