Photo

Christmas Events In Greater Victoria

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#161 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:01 PM

Re: “Add your display to the 2021 Times Colonist Christmas Lights Map,” Dec. 6.  This sends the wrong message. We are supposed to be in the middle of a climate emergency. Is encouraging people to put up extravagant Christmas lights, and then encouraging other people to drive around viewing them.

If this is the behaviour the Times Colonist encourages, it seems you and society have failed to understand the problem.

This past Saturday night’s energy-consumption extravaganza coincided with an atmospheric river thought to be associated with human-made climate change.

Maybe we should consider switching back to a non-illuminated daytime parade, so our children learn about conservation, along with all the Santa-fuelled consumerism.

Now I totally understand that other people will have a different point of view than mine, but how many truly believe that the Christmas Parade or a few Christmas lights substantially contribute to atmospheric rivers?  If both these individuals wish to sustain from Christmas lights due to energy consumption concerns, then great, they have that right.  However, they don't have the right to shut down activities and events that are important to others.  

Between statements like these and some of the crazy antics of the far left, are they hurting their cause?  They probably are because they discredit meaningful discussion about climate change and what can be done to slow it down.  It is just another crazy set of statements by well meaning but misinformed activists.

https://www.timescol...g-youth-4841750

#162 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:24 PM

Some people are joyless ogres who simply want everyone to be as miserable as they are. 

• A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#163 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:38 PM

Some people are joyless ogres who simply want everyone to be as miserable as they are. 

It is silly, but then so is every council declaring emergencies over everything.

November 16, 2021:

Calgary city council voted 13-2 to declare a climate emergency on Monday night, with only Ward 4 Coun. Sean Chu and Ward 13 Coun. Dan McLean opposed.

Many Canadian cities have already declared a climate emergency, including Edmonton, Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ondek-1.6250308

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 December 2021 - 06:40 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#164 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:40 PM

These complaints arrive like clock work every year, particularly about the truck parade.

I put up lights on my terrace for the first time this year. So I guess the storm we are expecting on Friday is partially my fault.

• Nparker likes this

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:44 PM

Yes.

But not the protestors traveling from Alberta to protest at our legislature. They are exempt.
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 06:52 PM

...But not the protestors traveling from Alberta to protest at our legislature. They are exempt.

As were the hundreds of hypocrites err... I mean attendees at COP 26.

#167 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:18 PM

Victoria Harbour Ferry is starting a pair of holiday activities which aim to bring fun for the whole family.

Starting Dec. 11, families will be able to book a brand-new Sleigh Boat Ride through the Inner Harbour. With sailings at 4, 5 and 6 p.m. until Dec. 23, each trip will start at Causeway Flats, cruise out to Fisherman’s Wharf, and return.

21997199_web1_200626-VNE-HarbourFerriesC

Along the way, passengers will be treated to a unique version of the Night Before Christmas, classic holiday songs, and complimentary hot chocolate and churros from Puerto Vallarta Amigos.

“We hope this will be the start of a new tradition for families, and are looking forward to sharing a magical experience filled with music, fun and the joy of the holiday season,” said general manager Barry Hobis in a news release.

Tickets for the Sleigh Boat Rides are $30 for adults and $15 for children aged 2-12. Passengers are also invited to bring non-perishable food items or cash donations for the Rainbow Kitchen, and will receive a complimentary water taxi ticket in appreciation.

https://www.vicnews....liday-specials/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 December 2021 - 06:19 PM.

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#168 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:41 PM

^ Nice to hear!  

• todd likes this

#169 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 04:52 PM

Lights of Wonder has just started now: https://lightsofwonder.ca/

• Nparker likes this

#170 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 05:12 PM

Lights of Wonder has just started now: https://lightsofwonder.ca/

I am booked with friends to see it twice over the next 2 weeks. 

• todd likes this

#171 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 09:57 PM

We did Butchart's tonight as has become a custom for us; never get tired of the displays and for a change the weather cooperated for the most part. It was busy but not insanely so. Lots of parking and room to move around both in the shops as well as the gardens proper.

Since the kidlin' was in begging mode, as in driving around to see Christmas lights - something I never do without first consulting that year's Christmas Lights interactive map....must be the Germanic DNA.....I decided to wing it this time and actually did pretty well considering there was absolutely no plan. I just drove....

The area off Glanford all along Mann Street has some amazing displays on both the main drag as well as the side roads so keep an eye out for the latter, along through to Interurban, hang a left off Mann and behold the magic in several contiguous Interurban neighborhoods all primarily on your right, and before you go as far as the prison. Some truly spectacular house/displays in the area. Definitely worth it if viewing Christmas lights is your bag........

• Mike K., Nparker and On the Level like this

#172 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,046 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 01:22 AM

We’re off to Butchart tomorrow as well, they are sold out but managed to squeeze me in!
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye and todd like this

#173 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 03:53 PM

Merry Christmas to all and have some joy in your life.

• Nparker, AllseeingEye, phx and 1 other like this

#174 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 04:28 PM

Last day at work before the break, Merry Christmas y'all - be safe and hopefully you are spending the holiday with family, loved ones and/or close friends. Have a very happy holiday. I am outta here for a lads Keg Dinner shortly then we celebrate the arrival of the jolly old elf tomorrow night. Oh and have your snow shovels handy....just in case. :)

• Nparker, SimonH and On the Level like this

#175 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 04:46 PM

Best wishes to you and yours ASE. Thank you for the Mann Ave Christmas lights tip.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#176 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 06:08 PM

We'll be hosting family this year (all within the restrictions) with family starting to arrive today.  Shopping is pretty much done and wrapped.  Butcharts tonight for ourselves as well.  

Merry Christmas everyone!

• AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

#177 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 23 December 2021 - 08:20 PM

B2432240-A235-491C-8714-3955B08CBFE0.jpeg

38E23294-F9D2-4E64-85C4-2891D26AD42B.jpeg

81649E9D-862C-4AF7-AF2B-2374DAA10DE5.jpeg

C252A0B6-A039-403B-B773-378C1075D533.jpeg

C8309698-1B4E-4529-AABE-1FF63E63E730.jpeg
Lights of Wonder - December 23, 2021

Edited by todd, 23 December 2021 - 08:33 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry and Kungsberg like this

#178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 08:38 AM

The sun is shining as I wrote this, the birds are chirping, and I’ve got the leaf blower fuelled up in case it snows :)
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye, todd and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#179 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 09:36 AM

The sun is shining as I wrote this, the birds are chirping, and I’ve got the leaf blower fuelled up in case it snows :)

Isn’t that a snowblower then?

#180 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 24 December 2021 - 09:57 AM

2 for 1 deal, I guess!
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users