Photo

Waterfront

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#41 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

99% of people don't actually think these parking lots are OK.

That sentence is a bit confusing; sounding like this is what people DON'T think. I assume you mean, that most people do not like the waterfront parking lots. I have to assume this is true, although I sometimes wonder if Victorians don't prefer asphalt to architecture, especially, quality, innovative architecture.

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

^It must be so hard being so easily confused.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

Your typical vocal anti-development Victorian will cry murder over developing asphalt because in their mind it's a better of two evils. Asphalt carries the "potential" to become a public space (or so these individuals would wish) and can be preserved as a public asset until the next era of the dinosaurs. Never mind the fact it is underutilized, bleak and in need of care in the present, but at least its not "developed."

Anyone remember the public outcry when discussion on the Dallas Road waterfront was brought into the light by Portland planners (or some visiting planners)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

^It must be so hard being so easily confused.

LOL! Confused often get I. (with all apologies to Yoda)

#45 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:48 AM

^There was nothing grammatically wrong with what I had written. The order of the words I had chosen was purposeful.
It's pretty common to assume the English language is inflexible. To bow and flex your sentences is the only way to ensure more accuracy depending on the subject matter. I too have a writing background.
Anyway, I'm not sure why you repeatedly try and correct my grammar. I may not be striving for perfect written English, but there's a lot of worse offenders to choose from here. Not that I have a problem with them.

Anyway I think, as usual, it's the vocal minority that skew the actual percentage of people oppose to developing the waterfront.

#46 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:17 AM

^I don't disagree with you.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

I'm starting to wonder if this entire website isn't just a front for big grammar & punctuation interests.

#48 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

The parking lot space might be better used for the expansion of the Maritime Museum, and would complete their vision of having some "live" elements - replica ships tied at the docks, etc.

And/or a museum especially built to house the Whaler's Shrine - the ancient artifacts stolen from Nootka Island and still in storage in a New York museum. It should really come "home" but would probably not be free from harm if returned to Nootka Sound. Here it could be kept climate-controlled, and safely displayed.

The roof could be "green" public space and be at the level of Wharf street.

#49 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

^I don't disagree with you.

Oh f@ck off! :)

#50 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:39 AM

pretty sure you misspelled that second word there...
:P

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:40 AM

Have we seen this before?

"Victoria's Inner Harbour 1967-1992: The Transformation of a Deindustrialized Waterfront"

http://www.blackwell....1993.tb00394.x

...the creation of a "heritage waterfront" where market forces do not dominate planning and redevelopment decisions to the detriment of "monumental buildings" and their settings.

In other words, if the Songhees buildings had been attractive, it would have been to the detriment of the Empress Hotel and the legislature.

#52 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

Actually that mentality might explain a lot in general in BC.

"All buildings must be made average and plain as we cannot allow anything to be as nice as the Empress or legislature as it will detract from them."

#53 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

^^ The link doesn't work -- do you have to be a subscriber to read the article, perhaps?

Love that bit you quoted, though ...unreal...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#54 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:30 PM

Sorry, try it now.

#55 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:44 PM

^ Thanks -- works now!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#56 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:07 AM

Must read:

Column: Victoria lessons from Cape Town's waterfront
Carolyn Heiman, Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, April 09, 2008

I didn't think I'd give Victoria a second thought on my recent holiday to Cape Town, South Africa.

Instead, I thought of home often. Mostly I wondered why we lacked courage when it came to our city. And why are we often crippled by fear of change. Specifically, why can't we have an exciting waterfront?

Large swaths of asphalt parking lots still outline much of the prime real estate and no one seems concerned about how dull that makes our city. We don't even have FolkFest anymore to inject a little excitement onto the asphalt for 10 days of the year.

more...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#57 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:39 AM

It's rare to read an opinion piece from Heiman.

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

She does an opinion piece every Wednesday, although this is more personal than most.

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

I thought it was a great article. One of the best reporters in town definitely. I don't agree with all her points but I certainly agree that a car wax version of a city is really not that great.

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

She does an opinion piece every Wednesday, although this is more personal than most.

Huh?
The paper boy must cut that section out or something. That's a more likely scenario than my nonobservance.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users