APPROVED
Harris Green Village, tower 1
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 900-block of Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 32
Harris Green Village, tower 1 is a proposal for a 32-storey mixed-use purpose-built rental tower with ground f... (view full profile)
Learn more about Harris Green Village, tower 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Harris Green] Harris Green Village & Harris Victoria Chrysler/Dodge redevelopment | Multi-phased; mixed-use | Proposed

• Please log in to reply
1571 replies to this topic

#1361 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:10 PM

I'd love an analysis of what that decision (for the benefit of the NDP and her selfish career) has cost us so far, and will cost us for the next 10 years alone. Talk about a breach of fiduciary responsibility. She gave us away for her own benefit.

#1362 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:13 PM

Since 2013 through 2023, in the CoV:

50% city hall budget increase

26% inflation (Canadian inflation)

15% population increase

These are approximate figures.

By 2028, the muni is on-track for a $400 million city hall budget.

Yup. It will get much, much worse.

Did you see the compounding built into the FN grant?

It will get much worse.

Do you think for a second any one of the true believers will say "no" to a request? They do not care about the taxpayer. I suspect they have an inherent bias against anyone who owns property.

#1363 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:15 PM

April, 1964. Note the highlighted considerations:

-Bigger
-Best
-More to see, more to do

Value, selection, parking, transit, eating, offices

-Pleasant

-Convenient

And they didn't even mention safety and cleanliness (because the CoV and its political agents hadn't yet embarked on that noble mission to make downtown less safe).

Downtown_Days-April_23-1964.jpg

#1364 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:21 PM

Lack. Of. Leadership.

#1365 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:23 PM

Since 2013 through 2023, in the CoV:

50% city hall budget increase

26% inflation (Canadian inflation)

15% population increase

These are approximate figures.

By 2028, the muni is on-track for a $400 million city hall budget.

I'm not sure the same pace will continue.  There were a lot of new positions and hiring added through those years.  Maybe that continues but I'm not sure it's a given, staffing costs are the biggest portion of the increases...

Land assessments and value have over doubled in those 10 years as well...  My prop taxes in those 10 years have gone up about 17%...

Edited by Ismo07, 28 February 2023 - 12:35 PM.

#1366 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:24 PM

Victoria is never turning away from the NDP. Same as big cities will never vote Republican/Conservative. Just can’t happen.

I disagree.

If the money materializes, there's plenty of talent to build lists, develop a campaign. The only requirement, well understood by NDP/TV is to get the voters to the polls. This means, starting now:

• lists built with grunt work (knock on doors, attend meetings, chambers, etc);
  • advocacy groups established and effective, working on policy and building consensus (outa my head examples):
    • "Downtown Safety Grannies"
    • "Common Sense Building Society of Victoria"
    • "Citizens Infrastructure Committee"
    • "DTV Businesses for a prosperous city"
  • marketing channels built and populated with resources to maintain contact and communication up to election
  • search for talent over the next 2 years to properly staff these orgs and the campaign.

Takes money and organization. Money first.

#1367 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:26 PM

I'm not sure the same pace will continue.  There were a lot of new positions and hiring added through those years.  Maybe that continues but I'm not sure it's a given, staffing costs are the biggest portion of the increases...

The pace will accelerate:

- built in indexing thanks to our love for any union request

- indexing for FN initiatives above inflation

- policing deficits

- massive infrastructure deficits

#1368 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:27 PM

As far as I can tell, the smartest guy working in the private sector downtown is Bill Lewis of the Magnolia Hotel.

But he’s not crazy enough to leave and run a political movement.

We have a real sh*tty lack of leadership, or boosters for downtown Victoria. That’s not changing any time soon.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2023 - 12:28 PM.

#1369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:35 PM

The Chamber didn’t really veer into politics, did it?

I bet if you put Casey Edge in charge of the Chamber, that it wouldn’t pull any punches.

In any case, business people are busy running their businesses. They don’t have time to get involved with political campaigns.

Also, I think we need balance at City Hall. If only four of the not-a-slate had been elected, and four independents, leaving Alto as a deciding factor, that would have been quite alright. But 5-3 makes any sort of balance tricky.
  • Ismo07 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:38 PM

The head of the Chamber has never run a business. He’s just another guy collecting a paycheque where he is now. Enough said, probably.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2023 - 12:38 PM.

#1371 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:40 PM

I bet if you put Casey Edge in charge of the Chamber, that it wouldn’t pull any punches.

In any case, business people are busy running their businesses. They don’t have time to get involved with political campaigns.

Also, I think we need balance at City Hall. If only four of the not-a-slate had been elected, and four independents, leaving Alto as a deciding factor, that would have been quite alright. But 5-3 makes any sort of balance tricky.

Casey Edge is a bitter, negative guy. If he’d take half his energy and apply it to promoting his membership, he’d be better. He’s also past his due date.

#1372 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:44 PM

The pace will accelerate:

- built in indexing thanks to our love for any union request

- indexing for FN initiatives above inflation

- policing deficits

- massive infrastructure deficits

But it seems less hiring...  Yes it will keep going up...  So far those increases seem to be an increase of 17% to 23% (for what I've seen) in property taxes over 10 years is that crazy?  Less than inflation?  Was Mike's inflation number correct?

Edited by Ismo07, 28 February 2023 - 12:50 PM.

#1373 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:47 PM

Casey Edge is a bitter, negative guy. If he’d take half his energy and apply it to promoting his membership, he’d be better. He’s also past his due date.

You think so? I see him as getting to the point, and not filtering his intentions. It’s not common for someone to be that outspoken in this day and age, I guess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1374 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:52 PM

I kinda thought it did during the pandemic, and don't go anymore because it felt like it's lost it's way.

As a business advocacy group, it's ok and right to demand a solution to the homelessness, addiction and mental health issues. To me, when the chamber gets involved in solutions, it's outside it's lane.

Sometimes I wonder if Bruce is looking for political office.

#1375 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:55 PM

From my view, the Chambers largest objective is increasing membership.

But less than 15% of businesses are members.

Not very representative.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2023 - 12:55 PM.

• Stephen James likes this

#1376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:58 PM

The Sooke Chamber can’t even exist without taxpayer subsidy. What it’s role is when it can’t criticize the government it is meant to keep on its toes a little is anyone’s guess.

Maybe these institutions have lost their raison d’être in a modern world. Like the Freemasons.
  • Nparker, Matt R. and Barrrister like this

Know it all.

#1377 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 12:58 PM

interesting thought.

the stark contrast at the table is worrying... naked ambition + religious zeal vs. independents who (mostly) are sticking their fingers in the dyke...

I don't share the view that Mayor Alto is benign, or pragmatic. I think she's smarter, and more cunning than Helps, much worse, with more zeal for her religion. She appears more benign by design, by carefully gauging the risk-reward of hiding her contributions and decisions. 

#1378 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,785 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:01 PM

...I don't share the view that Mayor Alto is benign, or pragmatic. I think she's smarter, and more cunning than Helps, much worse, with more zeal for her religion. She appears more benign by design, by carefully gauging the risk-reward of hiding her contributions and decisions. 

I think you may be right. She certainly had the best (worst?) teacher.

#1379 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:01 PM

The Sooke Chamber can’t even exist without taxpayer subsidy. What it’s role is when it can’t criticize the government it is meant to keep on its toes a little is anyone’s guess.

Maybe these institutions have lost their raison d’être in a modern world. Like the Freemasons.

speaking of taxpayer subsidies, and it's not a lot of money as one example...(among many)

Can someone tell me what we're getting for the SIPP money, for 8 years now?

Nice people, but "nice people" isn't really a job.

#1380 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 28 February 2023 - 01:04 PM

From my view, the Chambers largest objective is increasing membership.

But less than 15% of businesses are members.

Not very representative.

I agree and this could be so much better managed.

For the right person networking in the business community, and to build membership as well, is a joy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users