Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
1989 replies to this topic

#1981 Nparker

Nparker
  • 30,687 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:52 AM

And if we’re going to fix the Malahat we also need to do away with the TCH/Burnside/Old Island choke point. What a horrible road network decision...

No one creates traffic chokepoints quite like View Royal.

• rjag likes this

#1982 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 67,004 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 09:56 AM

Oh, and I forgot about the rail line.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1983 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 28,262 posts

Posted 12 December 2021 - 10:00 AM

I like how the rail line goes smack across the big complex intersection at Admirals at Naden.

Drivers: Hey this is a complex angled road interchange, people.

E&N railway: hold my beer
  • Matt R. likes this

#1984 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 67,004 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:13 PM

No Malahat alternative, says the province, via CTV. I couldn’t load the page so I didn’t link, but not a surprise. We’re a Disnleyland backwards reality compared to the needs of the engine that powers this province.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1985 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 28,262 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:17 PM

No Malahat alternative, says the province, via CTV. I couldn’t load the page so I didn’t link, but not a surprise. We’re a Disnleyland backwards reality compared to the needs of the engine that powers this province.

VIDEO:

https://vancouverisl...?clipId=2343403

#1986 Nparker

Nparker
  • 30,687 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 07:31 PM

...We’re a Disnleyland backwards reality compared to the needs of the engine that powers this province.

You're just realizing this now? 

#1987 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 5,137 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 13 December 2021 - 08:26 PM

Caught the story on CFAX while picking up my wife, I don't think the news jock could believe what he was reading, lol. Didn't need to see him to clearly interpret his thoughts which plainly were "W>T>F>.....is this for real?!?"

If some folks think that highway was in rough shape during the flooding just wait until there is a widespread regional emergency like a real good shaker or Baker rumbling into life and nearly half a million people on the south island all try to head into or out of town on that goat trail, and then either a landslide resulting from the quake, or ash from the volcano or someone panicking on that road causes a major accident, effectively blocking traffic. That'll amp up stress levels. 

If the province refuses to even consider an alternate or 'dual' Malahat route due either to the park or the proximity of the watershed for the foreseeable future they better commit to spending a whack-load of dough on upgrading West Coast Rd and the Circle Route.....

• Mike K. likes this

#1988 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:31 PM

Bridge to Mill Bay makes a lot more sense.

#1989 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 5,137 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:41 PM

If it were up to me I'd strongly consider implementing both options.

#1990 phx

phx
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 13 December 2021 - 09:54 PM

A solar-powered hyperloop is what we need.

That, or a monorail, though that’s more of a Shelbyville idea. :1954_dancing:

• Nparker likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users